Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
RinconVTR

Default Visa Water Leak - Check your SKIRTS

Check your skirts!!! Your fender skirts that is...

For many weeks, I found water pooling on top of the fenders...INSIDE the trailer.

The problem is two fold. One, poor quality clear bathroom type silicon caulk was used to form a seal on the fender skirt. This resulted in no adhesion to the skirt itself. Two, there is no sealent between the fender itself and the fiberglass wall. There are very LARGE gaps found under the fender skirt, where the fender meets the white wall. So when the silicon seal failed, there was no back up. The leak path went right past the skirts thin edge, into the trailer atop the fender, then flowed down into the floor area…and then???

The Gulfstream rep had no issue with me fixing this issue myself, so I pulled the skirts off, removed the silicon, applied OSI Quad Seal clear caulking around each screw hole, reattached the fender skirt, and then applied a nice bead of the OSI Quad around the skirt edge.

Just hours after this was complete, we had days of storms, and no leaks.

http://photobucket.com/visawaterleak
Old 06-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
KristinU

Default Re: Visa Water Leak - Check your SKIRTS

Thanks so much for sharing! A rainy couple of days here and we had the same thing...tiday is sunny and a good opportunity to pull off the skirts and fix 'em up. We used butyl tape (since we had some on hand) and then caulked the bejeebers out of the top seam.

2012 Visa 23BHD
2007 Toyota Tundra
My camping party: Me ('71), DH ('70), DS ('04), DK9 ('11)
https://www.visaadventures.blogspot.com
https://www.visacampers.proboards.com
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
Timothy

Good information, thanks for sharing.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
RinconVTR

You're all welcome.

I just looked at the album with the pics and noticed I did not inlclude a good picture showing just how much water got in from one storm. I would have never noticed if I wasnt looking around the storage compartment for a tool!
Old 06-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
KristinU

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinconVTR
You're all welcome.

I just looked at the album with the pics and noticed I did not inlclude a good picture showing just how much water got in from one storm. I would have never noticed if I wasnt looking around the storage compartment for a tool!
And I wouldn't have looked if you hadn't posted. As a matter of fact, after seeing the water on the wheel well I remembered about a month ago putting something away in there and seeing a few drops of water. I thought it was a little odd, but then figured that what I was stowing had gotten wet from sitting on the picnic table or something (it was a rolled up map in a plastic sleeve)...so I dismissed it.

2012 Visa 23BHD
2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 06-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
KristinU

Just stopping in to say thanks again. We've had rain off and on since yesterday late afternoon (good thing we used quick curing caulk!) and the wheel well is bone dry.

2012 Visa 23BHD
2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 06-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
RinconVTR

Bump on this thread cause after resealing twice last year (once myself with polyurethane and once by the dealer with his special caulk) at the time I opened the camper this year....the seal was once again broken away from both skirts. It seems nothing bonds to the slippery plastic of our skirts. What a stupid issue to repeatedly have to deal with!

I found signs of water again and I emailed pictures to Gulfstream service. They could care less. I asked for a supervisor to contact me and 3 weeks later with one reminder...nothing. I am not impressed with their customer service...not at all.

So my dealer said they will put in another claim to see if Gulfstream will approve it, and then try another special caulk that apparently cost $20 per tube. If not, I'll try treating the plastic skirts with something to etch the edges, so something will bond to it and retain a seal for more than 6 months!
Old 06-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
RinconVTR

My dealer successfully got Gulfstream to approve re-sealing the fender skirts again. And shortly thereafter, a confidential email was sent from Gulfstream with EXACT directions for the dealer to follow, to fix the KNOWN ISSUE. FYI, they have since changed their design.

SO, if you have a VISA, check those skirts! Or have your dealer check them, and do the repair per Gulfstream UNDER WARRENTY!

If you wait, you WILL have water entering the cabin and you may never know it.

ALL Visa's had used the same skirts for years, thus ALL have this issue. BE AWARE!