Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #21
RJ82much

Dan,

I'm not sure I yet understand the exact nature of your plumbing problem. If you have a considerable amount of fluids in your black tank - even if you introduce it via hose thru the commode, does water trickle, flow, or gush when you pull the blade on the 3" pipe?

I had the occasion to empty my grey & black tanks several times over this holiday weekend. They gushed...

Your tanks are mounted with the tops parallel to your floor, suspended by hangers. The bottom of the tanks are sloped toward the drain (road side). In your MH, your commode is installed over the shallow part of the tank (curb side). Solids must slide, or somehow be encouraged to migrate to the deep end.

Your tanks are most likely manufactured by Ameri-Kart (http://www.ameri-kart.com/), though I'm guessing they are a custom size made especially for Gulf Stream. The part number may be something like "RHT-2060"

Please catagorize how you feel that fluid flows from your black tank.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:17 PM   #22
rdlamb

Hi Bob & Dan:

At an RV recycle dealership (Colaw RV in Carthage MO), I viewed some recycled RV parts. One of which was the holding tanks from RV's of unknown manufacture.

I noticed that the tanks are drilled by the RV manufacturer. That makes sense as the tank manufacturer would have no idea what holes would be required.

But, depending upon how the tank is mounted in the coach, the holes placed by the RV manufacturer may not allow total draining of the tank's contents.

I am very interested in what my plumber friend's fiber optic snake will see when he inspects my holding tank. This should occur sometime in August.

Meanwhile, I would power wash out the tank with the gates wide open. If you have the commode removed, you can get a glimpse into the tank, and remove any remaining objects inappropriately placed in the tank.

Unfortunately, one such object I had the displeasure of removing is a certain feminine napkin that one of my relatives did not know would plug my system. In a coach previously owned, this is also a consideration.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #23
RJ82much

ummmm, I fished out cigarette packages, toys, and if I remember, the whole cardboard carton from the afore-mentioned cigarettes from a particularly beat (& plugged) Winni that we rented many years back.

The good news about used units is that the bugs have been worked out & repaired.

The bad news about used units is there is always a reason the previous owner got rid of it.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 07-10-2008, 12:01 AM   #24
rdlamb

RJ:
Hopefully the person who flushed those cigarettes down the commode did so, to give the habit up for good. But I now have a whole new perspective on you, for going to such an extreme, in a rental coach....

Old 07-10-2008, 08:13 AM   #25
RJ82much

Rick, I hadn't thought about the "quit smoke" aspect of the black tank contents. I hope the perpetrator choked on his nicotein losenges. As for dipping into the tank, that was a mere tip of the iceberg of problems with that old Winnie... The battery system was so messed up, I tried to keep the engine going once I started it,,, well, until the exhaust manifold separated from the engine. When I attempted to use the generator, it surged so badly that my radio burned up (real fire!) The list was much longer, but you get the picture. Nothing worked. everything was damaged in some way.

The point is, we must try to learn from our experiences. My new-found-knowledge was to never buy or use a used RV ever again. You do purchase other people's problems. Also never ever never never never loan your motor home to someone else (even, or especially to your grown kids), not even "for the weekend".

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 07-10-2008, 08:56 AM   #26
rdlamb

Thanks Bob.
I also echo your "never loan" stance. Been there, got a call from my relative to come get my coach as it broke down. Turns out he ran it out of fuel, and managed to limp it to the side of the road.

Ticket, tow, purge the system, garage fees, time off work, then finding a cigarette burn on my seat, I can attest that never ever again not even to my grown kids shall my coach be lent.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #27
Dapper Dan

Send a message via ICQ to Dapper Dan Send a message via AIM to Dapper Dan Send a message via MSN to Dapper Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Dapper Dan
Default BLACK WATER TANK CRESCENDO 8408 NOT DRAINING

Bob,
Been out pocket for a few days, the black & grey drains gushes when I pull the plug. It may be that I've paid too much stock in the sensor panel or maybe I worry too much. Thanks again for the help....LW
Old 08-28-2008, 12:06 AM   #28
rdlamb

Dan; Bob & all:

Had a plumber friend of mine use his fiber-optic lense on my outlet from commode to tank to diagnose what is going on with these tanks.

There is a 90 deg elbow, then another 90 degree elbow and drop into the black water tank. The first 90 degree elbow is connected to the commode. The run is about 17 inches to the second 90 degree elbow, the drop into the black water tank. There are troubles. The "run" is flat, so things do not move downhill.

The insert into the black water tank is on the side of the tank, not the middle of the top of the tank. Ergo, slow moving things drop down the side of the tank and build up. The "sensor" is on the same side as the dropping stuff. On flush, and the sensor is covered.

There is a flush spigot on the curb side of the tank, at the bottom of the tank. Will not allow flushing of the sensors.

Overall, everything will work, and nothing requires immediate attention. Other than the somewhat brackish procedure, the tanks and pipes are ok, just not optimally placed. The main problem is that I cannot rely on my sensors until I have them repositioned or replaced.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:41 AM   #29
RJ82much

In other words, our "assembler" has purchased all the right parts from quality manufacturers, gathered them in a pile, and minus any thought, cobbled them together to call the results a waste system on a RV?

* flat runs of waste pipe
* side entry into waste tank
* flush nozzles that can't flush anything
* level sensors that can't sense because they are always covered....

Yup, a well engineered system.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 09-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #30
rdlamb

Hi Bob:
Amazing what you can see with one of those optical sewer snakes. Well, I guess I will try and have a new flush system put into the tank, higher than the one in there, hopefully that will hit the sensors and clean the sh.tuff off them.

I do not know how to increase the toilet flush. Other than I put in the newest Thetford Acqua Magic Plus, and it really is an excellent throne.

As a last word, however, at least GS has survived the downturn in the economy. Alfa, National, Alpine, and others, have not.