Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-18-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
Dapper Dan

Send a message via ICQ to Dapper Dan Send a message via AIM to Dapper Dan Send a message via MSN to Dapper Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Dapper Dan
Default BLACK WATER TANK CRESCENDO NOT DRAINING

My black tank does not empty when I open the pull handle. Does anyone have the waste plbg diagram for 2005? I think the shower, bath sink drains into the black water tank. Kitchen sink drains into Grey water tank. I've run a snake 15' into the black water tank but nothing came out and no debris was noted. The sensor read 2/3 full and I've eeyeballed the tank and the waste level is above the sensor. There is screw clamps that attach the black and grey pipes too the tanks I think but I haven't dissconnected them. Help!!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
RJ82much

Hmmm, this sounds like a nasty problem. There have been many reports that the floor and tank "plug" fall inside the tank during factory install of the toilet. Do the assemblers say "oh well"? -apparently.

I think you should root & scratch around with your snake or long stiff, hooked wire thru the toilet, in the direction of the tank drain, with the valve open into a sewer dump - if it starts coming out, may God help you if you are in the way or no hose attached!

confirm the model (Cresendo) & floor plan (8406) of your unit so I can check this evening to see if I have any specifics how it is plumbed.

You really don't want to stick anything up the outlet just in case you're successful. Plumber do have devices that perhaps could attach to the outlet, then pull the blade to open, blow in water or air, close the blade, remove the pressure device, attach your sewer line, pull the blade open again & listen for the sweet sound of running water!

Keep us posted on what works...

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:46 AM   #3
RJ82much

Dan, a little more followup on your problem. I checked a drawing & discovered some information about your 8406 floor plan.

It indicates that your toilet is on the curb side of your unit? Also, your black tank is the forward of the 2 waste water tanks. Does that agree with the layout of the drains (big diameter pipe vs smaller one?)

If this is so, then your kitchen sink, lavatory sink, & shower all drain into the grey water tank. Only the toilet fills into the black tank.

Forget my comment about long hooked wire... I mentioned that because my floorplan places the toilet nearly over the drain. Your's is nearly 12' away as you already know. I think I would try some more with your snake to see if you can move what may be covering the drain. Perhaps you can modify the end to include some barbs or hooks?

Here's another idea, though $'s are involved. Plumbers these days use video cameras to investigate pipe blockages (tree roots, etc - my son just had it done in Chicago). It may be a worthwhile solution.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 06-19-2008, 07:30 AM   #4
Dapper Dan

Send a message via ICQ to Dapper Dan Send a message via AIM to Dapper Dan Send a message via MSN to Dapper Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Dapper Dan
Default BLACK WATER TANK CRESCENDO 8406 NOT DRAINING

The unit I have is an 8408. The tank I can see is directly below the water closet. At the outlet part of the drain that is connected to the discharge pipes, I had felted with my hands & that both tanks has two compartments. How they are connected I don't know or they could be one piece? They do have two wire connected similiar too the one I can see, probably the screw-in sensor. If you have a schematic or any thoughts on how they plumbed this unit it would be of great help.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #5
RJ82much

Dan,

I have searched everywhere for a floor plan of your Crescendo 8408, without success. Your holding tanks are supplied by Ameri-Kart. (also formerly Best Plastics). Sun Voyager uses p/n RHT2060. I can't figure out the p/n for your unit, though it likely doesn't matter. Unless something was unusual, you should have 2 identical holding tanks. The tanks are separate from each other. Each tank has a single chamber, though many have a stepped area molded in. Tthere are no baffles or internal structures. The hole for the toilet is cut by Gulf Stream after assembly onto the chassis frame. They make the hole by cutting thru the floor & tank so that all is aligned perfectly. Stories abound of the assembler dropping the "plugs" into the tank.

I have no reason to doubt that your black tank is the forward of the tanks, confirmable by you. This tank should have the larger, 3" drain. I believe your floor plan locates the toilet on the "curbside" of your MH. The drain is driver's side. Your greywater tank services all other fixtures (vanity, kitchen sink, & shower).

There is the possibility that your black tank is plugged with solids if your camping has been primarily at locations with sewer hookups & you leave the drain open for the duration of your stay. Under those conditions, "solids" will tend to accumulate & dry in the tank. The best thing for a black holding tank is to take a bumpy trip with significant fluid in the tank. Dump/rinse/dump before everything gets re-settled.

Sorry for repeating some of this.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 06-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
Dapper Dan

Default BLACK WATER TANK CRESCENDO 8408 NOT DRAINING

Bob, Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll keep working on it. Hey I just bought this unit over the internet (CrankyApe.com) & trying to get it ready for a fishing trip to Tepic, MX. I've only dump liquid in the black tank but at this point I'm not sure on the curb side which tank that I can see. I guess the panels will have to come off to get a better look. Yesterday I ran the snake a good 20' into what should be the black tank and the only thing happened was the sensor know shows 1/2 full & the tank I can see shows 2/3. It may be that the sensor are hooked up wrong but anyway, its good brain exercise & mine certainly needs it.....LW
Old 06-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
Dapper Dan

Bob, Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll keep working on it. Hey I just bought this unit over the internet (CrankyApe.com) & trying to get it ready for a fishing trip to Tepic, MX. I've only dump liquid in the black tank but at this point I'm not sure on the curb side which tank that I can see. I guess the panels will have to come off to get a better look. Yesterday I ran the snake a good 20' into what should be the black tank and the only thing happened was the sensor know shows 1/2 full & the tank I can see shows 2/3. It may be that the sensor are hooked up wrong but anyway, its good brain exercise & mine certainly needs it.....LW
Old 06-25-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
rdlamb

Dan: Bob is 'all over' this one, but I have experienced this problem and may have another solution.
A complete blockage, no water at all draining out?

If that is the case, a large plug of something is at the drainage gate. In my previous coach this occurred, but a thin trickle of disgusting water would run out when the waste handle was pulled.

It turned out the same person whose parents were never married, cut a hole through the floor and tank and let the plugs drop into the tank.

I have to remove the commode, use a holding tank water wand, flexible snake, gopher grabber (taunted on TV by that smiling guy) and a whole lotta willpower to get everything moving.

Suggestions on clearing a "poop pile", should that be the only thing preventing movement of the tank's contents include: a backflush kit, which has a connection for a hose that blasts back up the exhaust line into the tank, a complete kit that adds an outlet for a water hose that you drill yourself into your holding tank if you can do so, or try Rid-Ex an enzymatic
and bacterial cleaner for septic tanks found at Home Depot or similar stores that percolates for a few days then, a bottle of Pine Sol and a bounce around the country for a while.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:42 AM   #9
Dapper Dan

Bob, Thanks for your excellant input. There is a back flush setup on this coach which I've had a little exercise with, however, when the tank is full it will only drain to 2\3, so it must be blocked with probably the cutout and other debris. This tells me I'm going fishing for something I don't like to do, maybe a plumber I know will help me out. If this is a two compartment tank, the cutout must be blocking one of the tanks and retrieving the cutout would be tough. I'll let you know when the problem is exposed.......LW
Old 06-26-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
Dapper Dan

Bob, Thanks for your excellant input. There is a back flush setup on this coach which I've had a little exercise with, however, when the tank is full it will only drain to 2\3, so it must be blocked with probably the cutout and other debris. This tells me I'm going fishing for something I don't like to do, maybe a plumber I know will help me out. If this is a two compartment tank, the cutout must be blocking one of the tanks and retrieving the cutout would be tough. I'll let you know when the problem is exposed.......LW
Old 06-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #11
rdlamb

Ouch:
Dan, block up the wheels on the opposite side of the coach from the waste gates. That will "dump" more of the holding tanks contents toward the exit. If that produces a lot of results, it means GS drilled the exit pipe to high into the holding tank, and you will always have a certain amount of stuff sloshing around in the tank.
It also means lots of continual smells, and other problems, especially if you store the coach through a winter where the contents may freeze solid.

If not much comes out and the sensor still records 1/3 full, the sensor has crud on it and requires a blasting with a holding tank wand. The backflush systems usually do not spew water high enough to clean the sensors, rather they shoot water across the tank's floor to move stuff along.

I can get mine to work by using a holding tank wand and a lot of tank washing. In the end, I just gave up and my sensors are stuck on 2/3 full, even when the tank is empty.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:11 AM   #12
Dapper Dan

Rick,
I think I have the same sensor problem, sensors are reading 2\3 full after draining the tank. My concern is that it doen't take much water (MAYBE 2-3 GALLONS) and then the gauge reads full. Next time I take it out maybe the ice & chemical will clean everything out.
After taking the panels off, I found that the clear tank is the fresh water tank and assumed that it's a perfect rectangle. The other black & grey tanks looks like the top portion is flat across the coach but the bottom part is an unknown configuration. Would GS tell me who made the tanks?
Being a first time RV owner is exciting and perplexing to say the least.
I really appreciate your help and that goes for you too Bob.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #13
Dapper Dan

Rick,
I think I have the same sensor problem, sensors are reading 2\3 full after draining the tank. My concern is that it doen't take much water (MAYBE 2-3 GALLONS) and then the gauge reads full. Next time I take it out maybe the ice & chemical will clean everything out.
After taking the panels off, I found that the clear tank is the fresh water tank and assumed that it's a perfect rectangle. The other black & grey tanks looks like the top portion is flat across the coach but the bottom part is an unknown configuration. Would GS tell me who made the tanks?
Being a first time RV owner is exciting and perplexing to say the least.
I really appreciate your help and that goes for you too Bob.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #14
rdlamb

Dan:
My TM is only 2 seasons old, but I have learned to live with the black water tank sensor being incorrect.
Some things I have learned:

A bag of cubed ice and a large bottle of Pine Sol, prior to a move will slosh around and help clean the tank. The trouble is the Pine Sol will foam, which will leave a film over the sensors. Ergo, I follow up with a thorough water wand spray afterwards. Sensors are still not reading correctly, but usually the black water is now reading only 1/3 full.

I have now switched to a couple of dishwasher tablets to scrub the tank, these do so without foaming. But, I am assuming that the water spot treatment in the tablets is keeping a film from developing on the sensors. JMHO, nothing scientific.

Keep a good chemical treatment in the tank.

Finally, I have a plumber friend that now uses a fiber-optic snake to view sewer lines. Someday I'll beer bribe him and see exactly what is in my holding tank. I think there might be a market for this type of service, and will do some stumping to get said friend to consider offering that service.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #15
Dapper Dan

Rick,
I was thinking about putting Sodium Hydroxide with the ice and see what happens. The pine sol I've already tried and that should have rid the tank of any oils. I have a 5 gallon container of Light Water PC 200 that I bought several years ago to clean the floors in a jet engine test cell and that material foams but it will clean concrete floors.
Since you mention the electronical snake, I have a fish TV so for fun I'll try to see how far the camera part will go in.
When I removed the curb side panels, the black water tank was about 4-5 inches deep, and on the driver side much deeper, I felted under the panel there (I havent taking the panel off since my water supply is attached and I didn't want to distrub the piping), the tank on the bottom has a separation which indicates two compartments what for I dunno know.
Hey happy 4th!!!!!!!LW
Old 07-04-2008, 11:37 PM   #16
rdlamb

Thanks Dan. July 4th is America's holiday. A very happy 4th to you as well.

I'd recommend not using sodium hydroxide. It causes extreme heat, and has burned through PVC pipe. The holding tanks are not as corrosive resistant as the drain pipes.

The dual compartments have me baffled.

Let me know if the fiber optic trick works.

Otherwise, enjoy you time off, and the holidays.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #17
Dapper Dan

Default BLACK WATER TANK CRESCENDO NOT DRAINING

Rick,
The fishing camera apparatus was too large for the outlet 4' PVC, so my next step is down the water closet (commode).
If that don't work, was taking the toilet out much of a poblem? It look like that will be my next adventure.
Hey, if you find someone who don't thank every day is a good one, ask them to try to miss one.....LW
Old 07-05-2008, 11:08 PM   #18
rdlamb

Hi Dan:
You are correct, every day above ground is a great day.

The commode comes out easily, with the caveat that disconnecting the water supply is the hardest step. You have a seal on the floor that might benefit from replacement, and, depending upon the age of the commode, I'd get a repair kit for the commode's water switch. If you are removing the commode it is a lot easier to rebuild it before putting it back.

The hole cut through the floor is large enough to get a good view of what is in your tank. I'll pass on the details.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:52 AM   #19
Dapper Dan

Rick,
I found an expoded drawing of Sealand's comodes, so,I see what you mean it's an easy job.
You want believe this but last night I left the black water outlet valve open all night and this morning the sensors read empty, put about 1\2 to 1 gallon of liquid, now it read 2\3 full. I'm sure the fresh water tank is empty because I can see it but the sensors read 2\3 full. You expertise is undeniable the best so I'll quit trying to reley on the sensors.
I noticed that you have Safe-T-Plus on your rig. I install one last week simply for the blow-out control. I drove this coach from Ariz to OK, the only wind I had to put with was in NM, TX & OK, the steering was a little different but not bad even when the 18 wheeler past. I've been thinking and reading different post about rear stabilzers, are they worth the effort?
Thanks again for all your wisdom.....LW
Old 07-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #20
rdlamb

Hi Dan:
Thank you for your kind words. I enjoy sharing whatever expertise I may have.
My Safe-T-Steer made a huge difference is road drift due to wind and passing semis.
Your question on a rear stabilizer is something I cannot answer. I know they exist, but have not investigated them. The TM comes with a Freightliner raised rail frame, and the rear seems stable to me. Please let me know if you have a rear stabilizer installed, and your thoughts on its performance.
Thanks