Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-24-2006, 07:48 PM   #1
RJ82much

Default black 'n grey water

Well, just came back from a visit to "our" factory & have a million good things to report.

Let's start tonight with a minor issue: What water goes into each tank. I had some downtime during my factory service visit and while dumping my tanks at their complimentory camping facility for owners, decided it was time to do a test, since, as usual, my tanks were reporting levels that couldn't really be correct.

I emptied both tanks, flushed them out really good & closed the valves. Then I ran several gallons thru the kitchen sink, and confirmed that water drained from the grey-water tank. Likewise, the toilet entered the black-water tank. Though that may seem to be a "duh" statement, remember, we had a member with the tank outlets reversed!

I was able to confirm that the bathroom sink empties into the black-water tank, and the shower goes into the grey-water tank. (at least in my 8351 Sun Voyager.

Summary: Grey-water -> kitchen sink & shower
Black-water -> toilet & bathroom sink

An interesting statement: Recall the discussions on tank capacities? The engineer who gave my 1st factory tour, unequivically insisted that GS has never used anything less than 40 gallon tanks. I know that my calculations based on dimensions came out to less than that, but that is the GS position.

The engineer is aware of the inaccuracies of the degree of full readout because of the sloped shape of the tank, the degree of level of your MH, and those thru-the tank-probes. They are definately looking at alternatives.

After my testing, I was quite certain my tanks had been quite well flushed, & were definately empty. However, the black-water tank was reading 1/3 full & would not clear. I returned to the campsite, reconnected utilities, etc. When I checked levels again, lo & behold the tank showed empty! Go figure.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:24 PM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

Bob,

I learned at one of the seminars, darn I don't remember which, that one should hold the "test" button in for some time to get a correct reading. Of course if that is possible with the probes.

I also learned just recently that Gulf Stream connects the bathroom sink to the black tank whenever possible to provide the needed liquid into the tank for a complete drainout.

Maybe just driving back across the street from the dump station "jarred the s**t" loose off the probe.

Did you try Amish Acres for a meal while there? Also there is a restaurant that has good food just down the street. Go down to the light, turn left, it is on the left about 1/2 block down in a small shopping center. Don't remember the name, but a good buffet.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
RJ82much

Waste-water tanks & places to eat are a strange combination... heh heh.

I was always worried over the possibility of standing in a shower with a nearly full black water tank & wondering what kind of water is around my feet. Now I'm not worried so much; it'll have food scraps, not...........

Ate dinner at the Country Kitchen buffet a block down from the factory. I'm certain that's the one you referred to. It was late, & the food was showing the signs of a tortured evening under the lights. (desert was great). Breakfast was very good in the morning. Then the GS receptionist suggested that the place was not true Amish; rather Menonite. She suggested I travel to the crossroad town of Shipshewana for an authentic Amish family-style meal at the Blue Gate restaurant - yes! delicious, especially the Shoo-fly pie! I tried to get to the Amish Acres in Nappanee, but it was too late at night.

To tie all this discussion together, how about all them brown streaks down the side of the roads? I'll put more discussions of the service & the company under the appropriate category.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 09-25-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
GStream40
Site Team

Country Kitchen...That's It!!!

We always tried to get there around 5 and the food was always great then. Later, I imagine the food might not look as good.

Yep, The "Road Apples" always seem to fall on the side of the road also.
We have the same trouble near our home since we are on the edge of Amish country.

We were at the factory for 10 days in Nov. 2003, checked out a lot of the area including Shipsawana.

Ron
Old 09-25-2006, 07:18 PM   #5
RJ82much

Road Apples! That's what Ashley (the receptionist) called them! BTW, I happened to be in town for the Nappanee annual Apple Festival. More good food! Apple dumplin's heated & smothered with vanilla ice cream... Small wonder I go by the nick name, "RJ82much"

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 09-25-2006, 07:50 PM   #6
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ82much
Road Apples! That's what Ashley (the receptionist) called them! BTW, I happened to be in town for the Nappanee annual Apple Festival. More good food! Apple dumplin's heated & smothered with vanilla ice cream... Small wonder I go by the nick name, "RJ82much"
Quit! Quit! I am getting so hungry for apple dumplings with ice cream......... Gee we might have to go there just for the festival next year.

Ron