Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
dsomonster

Default Road King shocks are installed!!!

WOW, what a difference in the ride. The side to side dive in the front end has almost totally dissapeared. The ride from the cab is much tighter. Couple the Road King shocks with the ACS air ride and now the rig rides like a dream.

I've driven only @ 50 miles but those miles were sweet, I could not stop smiling.

I just wanted to give my $0.02 to those of you who may be contemplating this mod. It is worth every penny of the $750.00.

-Ron in SoCal
Old 08-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
dsomonster

Default Re: Road King shocks are installed!!!

Here are the pics. I installed them upside down, but they are perfectly fine that way. I spoke to Road King and they said in the Peterbuilt applications, that is the only way to install them. I was a bit worried, I would have to take these off and put them back on again. But...they are perfectly fine confirmed by Road King themselves. I even sent them pics and they said not too worry and the warranty still stands!!!

The ride is crazy calm now. Steve K. reminded me the ride is much nicer now and we can actually hear sounds we never noticed because the cab ride was so loud. On my test drive after the install, I had to turn down my radio and that was never the case before!!!

Road King said to give it 1k miles to settle in and then the full plush ride should be more than evident. I can't wait for Labor Day weekend to put on the miles.

-Ron
Old 09-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
steve.k

Ron how was trips over the weekend? Did the new shocks and controller work good for you??i think we are getting these units refined, I sure get lots of compliments and people asking where they can buy one? They are disheartened to hear they are no longer made! Maybe GS will get it together and reintroduce them with the bigger engine and air ride from factory! I get alot of guys wanting the ih truck even over the freightliner ?
steve.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #4
dsomonster

Steve,
The trip was great over the Labor Day weekend. We actually went back this weekend to Big Bear, CA but it was business related with a bit of relaxation mixed in.

I agree on the compliments about the International chassis. There is nothing like it and when we pulled in to the RV park, everyone stopped to watch us pull in and set up. Even before I got to pop open a cold one, DW was already giving tours...not exactly my cup of tea, but I let the wifey do her thing when it comes to that kind of stuff.

The ride is mountainous and the elevation is @ 7000ft. The roads are windy and the people in cars and bikes are impatient when trying to get up. We left on a Thursday late afternoon and hit the foothill @ 6pm. In a normal car, it usually takes @ 30 minutes to get up the hill. With the RV it took @ 40 minutes. We were fully loaded with the trailer in tow and the rig handled AWESOME! The controller definitely made a difference keeping me in the power band as much as possible. I was still going @ 20-30 mph up the hill, but I enjoyed every minute of it.

This past weekend we headed up hill on Friday night and there was traffic going up the mountain. With the normal traffic, it almost seemed we were going to fast given our size in relation to the other vehicles. This time we did it with no trailer and we kep right up with traffic, not using any turnouts once.

All in all a great ride. At the campsite, we were the toast of the town. There was some beautiful Class A rigs, but nothing like the 'Nova. There were a few Jayco's on the Chevy 5500 chassis that were really nice, but those owners were taking the damn tour in my rig. It was a fun 2 weekends and when we went back this past weekend, everyone remembered us. Great times. Just got back and I am beat.

I love my rig even more now.

I will post an more in depth review of everything later this week. Gotta get ready for work and get some shut eye!

-Ron
Old 03-21-2013, 06:54 AM   #5
Jim&Karin

Has anyone installed Road King shocks on the front and rear axle on an International Chassis without adding the air ride system in the rear? Road King said the ride would be much better by just replacing the OEM front and rear shocks. I had rear shocks installed by International early 2009 with very little ride improvement. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
Georunner

I no longer have my Nova, but we installed these shocks and it was a noticeable difference. Now, we did not have any rear shocks, so adding these to the rear made a big difference for us. (6331 model) The fronts did improve the ride and handling, but not as much as the rear ones.
Georunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
rsims

are the king shocks still available and where I've seen them on many off road trucks any information would help thanks
Old 04-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
steve.k

Yes they are available and a big update!! go here http://www.roadkingshocks.com/
steve.k is offline   Reply With Quote