Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-07-2016, 06:37 PM   #1
Burkejonathan

Default 2007 Tourmaster T-40 B front batteries What voltage/type???

What type of batteries do I need specifically up under the windshield in front of the generator on a TM T40 B??

I've installed 12 volt and the generator is fault code 29 now with these batteries...

Sort of an emergency as it's quite cold and need the generator. I can exchange them in the morning.

Any help is appreciated very, very much.

Thank you,

Jonathan
Burkejonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:24 PM   #2
Chuck v

Default Re: 2007 Tourmaster T-40 B front batteries What voltage/type

On 2007 Tour Master, the front batteries are 6 volt golf cart style deep cycle batteries. There are four of them and they are wired in series-parallel (two stacks of two wired in parallel...) They run the inverter and are charged by it when the shore power is connected. I believe that they are also charged by the generator when it runs.

Are your batteries completely missing so you can't identify their type and use? There are eight batteries on your coach per the Gulfstream product brochure and this is confirmed by the actual batteries on my coach which is a similar floorplan of the same year as yours.

Batteries: (2) 12 V engine, (2) 12V house, (4) 6V inverter

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:21 AM   #3
Burkejonathan

I switched the 6vt batteries I had in there back. No more code 29 from the Oman 7500
But, all I get now is a code three service fault on it. It's very cold here so it's hard to
Isolate what else is wrong. Any ideas? There is no 33 fault code so it's just a three that it blinks....

Thank you for the assistance!

J
Old 12-09-2016, 11:31 AM   #4
Chuck v

What is the condition of the 6 v batteries? If they are original to the coach perhaps they are not taking a charge from the inverter and that is why a fault code is being shown (we presume that the indication is on the inverter panel over the windshield in the same center cabinet as the satellite receiver, etc.)

My coach has been updated to a true sine wave inverter so it has a different control panel now -- plus the coach is about 400 miles from me at the moment so I can't access the original information / manuals that I still have on the original inverter system. The Onan generator in my coach has two small control panels to start it and monitor the hours -- one to the left of the driver near the transmission selector panel, and the other mid-ship in the cabinet that has the tank level meters, etc. I don't recall that either of these panels have any fault indicators...

Can you provide any more detail...?

Chuck

Old 12-09-2016, 12:13 PM   #5
Chuck v

Actually when re-reading my reply and your most recent post I thought of another question that is very important. When you had the 12 volt batteries in there, were there 4 of them and were they wired exactly as the 6 volt ones were? If that is the case you had a system voltage of 24 volts and you may have done quite a bit of damage to your inverter and to the control system.

Here is how the 6 volt batteries SHOULD be wired for series-parallel connection resulting in 12 volts at the inverter and 450 AH of capacity -- look on page 6 of the information here: http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/batterycon-1.pdf

Hopefully you did not use this same connection pattern with the 12 volt batteries you had in there recently as that would result in 24 volts and possible damage. Let us know what you can about the situation at your coach...

Chuck

Old 02-18-2017, 09:50 AM   #6
Burkejonathan

Once I re-installed the 6 volt batteries the Onan 7500 Generator stopped giving the code it was giving with the 12 volt batteries. no harm was done to the inverter/converter, thankfully. The generator to date does give a random code 32 fault sometimes for days or hours, then mysteriously clears up and works fine for day more before giving the same fault code randomly again.

Jonathan