Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
dbywaters

Default New Here! w/1993 Sunvoyager 102 DP

I just registered with you guys, I am also on the yahoo gulfstream, Oshkosh, dieselrvowners.com and rvtalk forums...

I have owned my 93 GS since 2008, since purchasing it I've replaced the Engine with a 230 Cummins and MT643 automatic. New Radiator and other parts too numerous to mention. I also have re-worked the brakes over and over again, finally finding I had the wrong master cylinder (thanks CARQUEST) The latest is that my wife and I designed a 3 color paint scheme in 2011 and sequentially began preparations to repaint this year, we finished just in time to camp over memorial day weekend. Someone may find the photos attached to the link below that chronicle most of the paint job we completed at home in our driveway.
http://photobucket.com/93_gulfstream_sunvoyager
It can be done if you have enough energy and desire to save a bunch of money; some of our older coaches look pretty tired.
Take care!
Doug
dbywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: New Here! w/1993 Sunvoyager 102 DP

That is an amazing job. How long did it take you to do the whole job It looks very nice. My wife and I both enjoyed the slide show.

RayChez
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
RayChez1

I was thinking you should put a clear coat on it now to protect that nice paint job. Give it about four coats.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
dbywaters

I think the paint will hold up ok without clear, It is covered most of the time in a tin shed-house. The next big effort is to renovate the inside, replace carpet, remove old vinyl wall covering, prime and paint the interior and some other stuff that does not keep us from using it over the summer.

I bought the wife a heated razor blade last summer, basically a soldering iron with a razor blade holder in leu of a soldering tip. She carefully scraped all the old decals off, and then removed most of the glue with carburator cleaner from Wal Mart. This took a few days last summer. I also bought the aluminum scaffold for her to work off of (nice guy ain't I) The scaffold made the job tolerable for me to watch since I don't like her on a ladder.
I replaced plywood behind all four fender wells as the old stuff had rotted away, I glued three layers of 7/16 inch osb together and reglued to the old fiberglass siding after scraping the old stuff off. I put a bunch of screws around the perimeter of each wheel well, hiding them with the plastic fender flairs. When I was done I coated the osb with fiberglass resin followed with rust-o-leum rubberized paint. The paint made for a nice looking job for anyone crawling underneath..so far only me.
I did not track the time, but I worked on it pretty steady between early April and Memorial Day weekend on weekends and after work. My wife has fibromyagia pretty bad, she could only help on the good days, which there were not many this spring.
dbywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 11:43 PM   #5
kanishka7193

An average retail vehicle should be clean and without glaring defects. Tires and glass should be in good condition. The paint should match and have a good finish. The interior should have wear in relation to the age of the stylish dp vehicle. Carpet and seat upholstery should be clean, and all power options should work. The mileage should be within the acceptable range for the model year.
kanishka7193 is offline   Reply With Quote