Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
Barry70Stang

Default Replacing the top cover

Hi folks,

I've recently purchased an 06 Cavalier to use as my hunting camp. I bought it kind of on an impulse, and I'm kind of regretting it now. For starters, the people that had it smoked heavily, and I'm having a heck of a time getting the smoke smell out. Second, I discovered that it has damage from a leak on the back corner, the wood is rotten. I'm afraid the cost of getting the wood repaired and getting a new roof installed will cost WAY more than this rig is worth. Do you guys have any advice? BTW, this is my first travel trailer. If I do decide to keep it, I plan on putting it under one of those carport type covers, which should pretty well keep it out of the weather.

Thanks,

Barry
Barry70Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:36 AM   #2
wvabeer

Default Re: Replacing the top cover

I just purchased one too and have rotten wood over the shower.
wvabeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
TammyJenkins

Default Re: Replacing the top cover

I also bought a 2006 park model from a friend who got it unused. It had been in covered storage, and was used by his son for 2 years. So I now own it and have been it full time 6 months. I love living in this thing. Yes, it's tight and hard to keep clean with 2 dogs, and yes I know I have some serious repairs coming up in the Spring, but I only paid 1500 for it, knowing of major repairs to be done and I am not a well healed individual, but I LOVE to tinker.

Having said that, I understand from other forums that some units were cheated on subfloors and roofs/sealant/design. As a result of unknown issues with the roof, it has had rain coming down the back wall by the bunks since it left storage. I have to replace (at least) the roof -properly, and the subfloor. I may also have to replace some rotten joists or at least sister in some new. That's okay, because I will make modifications. In addition, the lighting and bathroom electric does not work. I see this as a live-in project and will stay in it as long as I possibly can while remodelling.

So I have no advice yet, but hang in there and I will share with you what I learn along the way. The real trick is to think smart about a project before spending the money for what may be a wrong repair or one made out of order with other repairs that may need to be done first.
TammyJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote