Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
pchicky

Default SuperNova vs Bridge Support.....and the winner is????

Any of you heading down towards Florida on I-95? Well, I can tell you that at southbound mile marker 43 (approximately) in Georgia where they are doing road construction, with concrete barriers on both sides of only two lanes, that an 18 wheeler and a SuperNova won't fit through it with any reasonable margin for error. Problem is, they have the emergency lane being used as the travel lane, and when it comes up to the bridge, the support sticks into the already tight roadway. The Georgia DOT doesn't bother to navigate traffic around it. They simply narrowed the lane another foot or so. Add an 18 wheeler being impatient and speeding past in the left lane at precisely that location, and swaying into your limited space taking up another couple of feet..... well, let's just say it's pretty darn impressive when your right mirror and awnings on the right hit a bridge support....talk about shrapnel!!!!!

It could have been REALLY bad, but the damage is mainly a mirror and two destroyed awnings. The coach has a few scratches from shrapnel that can easilty fixed. The trailer on the 18 wheeler was within inches of ripping off the front hood on the left. Honestly, I don't know how it missed. I hit the brakes as I saw him coming over and he just missed it. Wanna know what those parts cost SuperNova owners? Here ya go:
New power mirror, heated, from International: $668.72
New 18' power awning, black canvas, w/all support brackets: $1922.22
New slide topper awning, black: $777.78
Paint work, installation, etc. etc. etc.: $1917.17
GRAND TOTAL: $5286.89

Having insurance coverage? Priceless

Those custom colored awnings are very expensive folks. So is that mirror....wow.

It's even funner driving a 40 ft coach back from Florida without a left mirror....

And the winner of the bridge support vs. the SuperNova? Well, the bridge got the first hit in, but the SuperNova got back up and is ready to fight again.
pchicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
Texas TC

Glad that only the Nova had damage. Yes, International parts are expensive. My power window controller went out on the drivers side cab window. The new switch, installed, was $725.34. Thank goodness Southwest International accepted my extended warranty for the repair.

I was looking at the total damages on the coach and, ya know, that is not too bad for all the carnage that occurred. Heck, the last time I was run off the interstate on my Harley and flipped it twice, the damages exceeded six grand.

You are very lucky that more damage, including personal injury, was not experienced. The results from the incident you described could have been much worse. And I cannot even imagine driving one of these things without those big rear-view mirrors.

Good luck with your repairs.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
mfa

Glad the damage was only to "stuff" and not to you!
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
bob3nliz

Send a message via Yahoo to bob3nliz
Default bridge

Glad to here you all are OK. I do not know if I would have the same good out look you have, but reading your note gives me hope Thanks Bob
bob3nliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
Georunner

Thank goodness you survived! Had the truck hit the front of your rig, who knows. No answer to this, but why are some folks in such a hurry? That truck driver could have caused serious crashes. Glad you are ok.
Georunner is offline   Reply With Quote