Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
mootopia

Default New and clueless to Motorhomes

My wife and I were looking to get into RVing and after looking around at trailers stumbled on a 1999 Yellowstone Capri. We didn't expect to be able to afford a motorhome, but jumped in with both feet. Now, in our clueless state, we want to learn and maintain it as best we can. We had it winterized by a Camping World garage, but there still seems to be alot left in the blackwater tank, at least by the guage. We also bought a Dicor roof renewal kit. We hope to take our first brief weekend trip on Friday before the weather turns realy cold. Any tips for new owners of a 10 year old motor home would be greatly appreciated. If you can save the newbies any embarrasment or disaster we would be thankful.
Dave and Lissy
Old 11-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
Nanaeve

Default Newbies!

While we are far from experts on the RV subject, there are lots of books out there to help. Our favorite and one our son thought we could really use was " The Complete Idiot's Quide to RVs". It is full of ideas and funny too. Get any thing you can on your style of rig and the manuals are somewhat helpful. I say that as experience has shown the Gulf Stream manuals to be a "One Size Fits All" and they don't. There is a link to some archives of manuals somewhere in this Forum, I think. You'll learn fast from experience, just be prepared for some surprises.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
Roy Buzzard

The gauges will quite often be off, It just takes some debris to give them a false reading. If you hook water to your camper this weekend, it will need to be re winterized.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
woodworker414

mootopia, Welcome to the world of rving, you will become very good at maintaining you mh in a short time. You will find out that most rvers are willing to help and share their knowledge, and there is a ton of knowledge on a forum like this, so when you have a question just ask. Enjoy you new mh.
Bill
Old 12-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
amman1725

Bill is right, most RVers are great people and don't be afraid to mosey on up to someone in the campground and ask; you'll usually find that you'll get more info than you ever thought possible; internet forums are great as well;

My best advice is to not overthink a problem when it crops up; usually there is a practical reason for the issue; GS owner's manuals are worthless in my opinion;

Build an RV garage if at all possible; we get people all the time asking us if ours is new; it'll protect it from the sun, rain, snow, etc.... full timers RV wash soap is what I prefer to use to clean her up;
Old 12-02-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
mootopia

Default Clueless first trip

Thanks for the helpful hints. We went on our first overnight and had a blast. Went to Yogi Bear Tall Pines in Elmer, NJ. Didn't know how to get the canopy up. Took the advise and asked for help, and Voila, we now have a new skill and new friends. Of course, we forgot the fire starters and couldn't get our darn wood to burn, but that's not Gulf Stream's fault. The lovely woman from the camp store, which was closed, gave us starters for the next morning. We have no back up camera, but my wife parked it like a pro. I'm so sad the season is over. Any one know a good place to go in the NJ/Philadelphia area during the cold weather?

Next projects, fix the broken Generac NP-50 and have the steering looked at, it seems to pull.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
michaelmangine

pine cone resort its in freehold,nj tons of property,trails and wildlife
michaelmangine is offline   Reply With Quote