Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-21-2023, 07:37 PM   #1
PopPopK

Default Campground Wifi

I would like to put WiFi in my camper trailer. What do I need to accomplish this?? I have T-Mobile cell provider so that is covered. What equipment do I need?? I bc also have a couple new routers. Thanks in advance. PopPopk
PopPopK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 09:48 AM   #2
RY469

Winegard makes some very nice rooftop antennas that have WiFi booster/repeaters built in. A little pricey, but you replace your TV antenna with it and have decent WiFi reception.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 12:08 PM   #3
NavyLCDR

Just turn on your phone's hotspot.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 01:00 PM   #4
Chuck v

A phone hot spot will act as a WiFi router, but may get expensive if used a lot as data use could run your bill up to $400 or more...

I believe Pop is asking how to use the RV Park's WiFi to best advantage, but if that is not the case then he can post back.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 01:10 PM   #5
NavyLCDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v View Post
A phone hot spot will act as a WiFi router, but may get expensive if used a lot as data use could run your bill up to $400 or more...

I believe Pop is asking how to use the RV Park's WiFi to best advantage, but if that is not the case then he can post back.

Chuck
Well, to answer the exact question that was asked without adding anything to it: "I would like to put WiFi in my camper trailer. What do I need to accomplish this?"

What you need to put WiFi in your camper trailer is a WiFi router, less than $5 each. Just realize there is a huge difference between WiFi and internet access.

capture3.jpg
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 02:04 PM   #6
jamesham

If just getting campground WIFI is the issue, ANYTHING outside the box of the RV will improve the signal. An antenna shoved out a window will help. Mounting antenna permanently outside on roof, or ladder helps. Some are directional and need to be pointed at the campground WIFI post...usually the office building. Cost goes up with better grade equipment.
But you have to ask yourself how much do you want to spend to bring in campground WIFI that is usually crappy, overloaded, and very slow? A smart phone that can be used as a hotspot with a sizeable data plan may be the answer. Mint and Visible both offer unlimited data plans for $25 a month.
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 10:53 AM   #7
Puettz

Default Campground wifi

Our home is located in a rural area and we don’t have access to any type of wired internet. We went with T-mobile for our internet. They have a portable router which you set up next to a window and it finds the nearest T-Mobile antenna and you have access to internet. We just unplug it from home and bring it with us. So far, even in campgrounds covered by trees we have had internet access and in the evenings we are able to stream Netflix, etc. We are very happy with T-Mobile. Very reasonable price as well.
Puettz is offline   Reply With Quote