Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2015, 02:40 PM   #1
RayHarkness

Default Duo Therm Roof Air Units

HI folks, just a bit of information that could save you time and money. Recently lost my fan motor on the front AC unit. Duo Therm Penguin, 13,5000 ducted.
I figured..oh crap...here we go...money being sucked out of the wallet. I talked to one rv repair guy, said the unit would probably need to be replaced. I dont' think so. The compressor was working great, VERY cold air,,,not a lot of hours on these units. So, I had my house ac guys (who I tip generously) discuss looking at it. We met, took the shroud off, and on the right side, midway back, there is a door, screwed on with two bolts. Opened it up...and found the culprit.

On that last trip, we put the front air on, for the DOG of course!) and left. Came back and found it warm, and an electrical burning type smell. I noticed the fan wasn't working....took the trim panel off inside, and I could start the fan, and it would spin, slowly....

so the AC guys (don't ya love how I have drifted all over on this?) looked in that little compartment, and there was a device called a Hard Start, and a Cream colored capacitor. This capacitor is a dual Capacitor. One side goes to the Fan motor, one side goes to the Compressor, and I think one went over to that hard start part.

We pulled the Cap out, and one side of it was burned right open. Thus, my stinky smell inside the coach. They also said, that if this goes bad, it won't start properly, and also will pull voltage away from the fan motor. So, they ordered a new one. We did both of them, front and back. All is working GREAT now. Everything back together and ready to go. If you have a fan problem (has happened before) first thing I would check is this Capacitor. I see you can get them from Dyers Rv, they had specs and all there, sent me diagrams and schematics.

Easy Peasy fix....I was in a panic, bad fan...which would have been a huge job getting the old one out!!!! All is well in Gulfstream land now...the sucking sound you now hear is from my wallet, replaced my house batteries, New T105 Trojans. These babies are good. Later all..R
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote