Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #1
ApplicationError

Default Looking at a 2010 Gulf Stream Super Nova 6373

Hi all,

This sure seems like a great community of owners!

We have a 2016 Thor Gemini 23 and have had nothing but problems with it. Arguably, we shouldn't have relied on a sales person to help us, but rather done our own research. We are hours away from selling it and started looking at something that is more suitable for us. We found a 2010 Gulf Stream Super Nova 6373 and it looks like it would be a great fit. We want a unit that is...

- rugged enough for some gravel roads
- not get destroyed going across Canada and up to Alaska
- be usable in the winter (Alberta = cold winters)

We also have 2 dogs, soon to be 3 (German Sheppard, Pomeranian, and Doberman), so we need something a bit bigger. We weren't able to find many "smaller" Class A units with diesel engines, most have the V10 gas engine, which probably wouldn't be a very practical engine.

Thoughts about the unit? Good? Bad?

Did they stop making the unit?
ApplicationError is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:25 PM   #2
SlimTim

Default Re: Looking at a 2010 Gulf Stream Super Nova 6373

Hello ApplicationError,

The Gulfstream Supernovas have some issues just like any other RV. However if you do a lot of dry camping the fresh water capacity, grey water and black water capacities are hard to beat. The international chassis handle the weight very well but can be rough (very rough) riding unless equipped with a rear air ride system. Many people complain about interior cab noise however I had a Super C built on the Kodiak Chassis and a Duramax and noise was similar. Engine power is good on flat ground but could use some more torque when climbing long hills - I have the 40' 6400 so it is the heaviest of the Supernovas. Some people do not like the engine as it is a close cousin to the Ford 6.0. I feel its a good engine if you do a few modifications to it. Interior build quality is good in some areas and not so good in other areas, I feel its on par for the price level of these RV's. I take my RV on gravel roads on a regular bases and the 22.5 tires/wheels do very well on the gravel roads. Best I can tell Gulfstream manufactured the Supernovas from late 2007 through 2012. However it appears most of the units were built in 2007 and 2008. I have only seen a handful of 2010, one 2011, and no 2012's. One issue I have with my 2010 6400 is the large wall slide. The 2010 and up Supernovas used a cable mechanism for both slides and I have never been able to get my wall slide to work as good as I would like. The slide goes in and out but not as smooth as I would like. I installed a higher torque motor on the slide and it works a little better, but still not as good as I would like. I need to look at the amp draw, but I don't have a DC clamp on amp meter.

PM me if you have questions.
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:11 PM   #3
smgoilfield

I just picked up an 09 6371 . Just wondering what engine mods you would recommend and who makes a good rear air ride for these things ??
smgoilfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:36 PM   #4
SlimTim

You only have about three choices for upgrading to air.

1-ACS Aftermarket http://superide1.com/brochures.html
2- Kelderman Aftermarket
3- Stock International

Stock international is going to be expensive, or more expensive I should say. I think most GS owners have gone with the ACS system. There is a long string on this site about air ride.

In regards to the engine, I recommend you install a Bullet Proof Diesel oil cooler. A Bullet Proof Diesel EGR Cooler. And do the HPOP Connector Fitting Upgrade. Without the oil cooler I feel you may be risking turbo, HPOP, injector and EGR Cooler failure. As all of these failures can be caused by the stock oil to water cooler becoming plugged on the water side of the cooler. However the VT365 did not have near as many turbo, HPOP, injector, and EGR failures as the Ford 6.0 so take my advice as just a "To be safe" recommendation. However I can tell you my engine oil stays at approx. 150 deg vs. 200 plus deg with the stock cooler. That makes it worth the time and effort to me.
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote