Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
ftylenda

Default locked out of basement compartment

I have the key...it works but the when I lift the handle/latch to open the compartment, it does nothing. The handle lifts up, but will not open. This is a problem because it is the compartment with the water heater.
HELP!
Old 11-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
72chevy4x4

are you pushing the door in and releasing the handle? Is yours a pass through basement where you can get access from the other side?

My locks have a screw on the back side of the lock, accessed from the back side of the basement door-don't think you get in without damaging the lock but on the other hand do not see how the lock lifts but does not allow the door to open-try pulling harder, maybe it is stuck.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
RayChez1

What Gulf Stream coach do you have? On my Scenic Cruiser on that particular compartment where the water heater is located there are three other compartments you can get in so that you can work on the lock from the inside.
If not, then you have got some real problems and might have to drill a hole where the key goes in in order to lift the lock. You might want to try a lock smith before drilling and get some expert advice.
I have had a couple of lock failures before, but I was able to get to them from the opposite side. I learned real quick never to slam the compartment doors down. They have a pot metal rocker inside that breaks real easy. When closing the doors now I just bring them down real easy and then just give them a tap.
Give more information as to the type of coach you have and maybe somebody can help you out.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
bob3nliz

Send a message via Yahoo to bob3nliz
Default lock

I don't know if I can explain this good, but will try. Take a small jack put it under comparment NOT DOOR put little pressure on box while pulling on door and handle,also check if handle square will move a little. It might take a few trys. Also try to push door side to side and out.good luck bobnliz
bob3nliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
RJ82much

Does your lock handle just flop around as though not connected to anything? Or does it seem to have some resistance as though the mechanism is engaging, just not doing anything?

I often have the condition where the door seems stuck even though the latch is operable. That's because the gaskets sealed "really good". A stiff pull while holding the latch in the open position will break the seal (& hopefully nothing else!)

Something that you should know (& not the thieves) is that the system of locking the door to the coach frame (the metal loop) is so poorly designed that a stiff pull on the door (grab under the folded lip) will generally open the door, even with the lock "locked".

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
RayChez1

Default Re: locked out of basement compartment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftylenda
I have the key...it works but the when I lift the handle/latch to open the compartment, it does nothing. The handle lifts up, but will not open. This is a problem because it is the compartment with the water heater.
HELP!
So how did you finally open the compartment door? It might be something all Gulf Stream coach owners might want to know incase it happens to us.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Steve48

Default Re: locked out of basement compartment

I have been locked-out of basement due to the pot metal lift piece breaking three times.
I use a large screw driver to pry door out as much as I can from underneath coach.
This will expose the metal tamper proof box, then drill a hole through that metal box
in the center so you can push the latch up with a smaller screw driver to clear strike.
Then door should pop open, without ruining the lock or your door.
I have full body paint so I just replace the broken piece on the latch which I bought from GS parts dept.
The new latches are black & don't match.
Also try to keep the drill bit off the weatherstripping!
Steve48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:49 PM   #8
[email protected]

Drilled a hole as described and was able to pop the door. Quick 5 min fix, thanks so much for sharing your post.
cj_dallas@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote