Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
Sergio

Default Leaf Spring Failure

Hello,
Last Friday I purchased an '08 Kingsport Lite trailer. Went on my first trip the next day and 30 ft before I arrived at my camping spot, I heard a loud noise. Immediately I smelled burnt rubber. As I parked the trailer, I noticed the two passenger side tires were rubbing each other. Upon inspection, I saw that one of the leaf springs had broken in two pieces. Needless to say, I left the trailer at the site and it was towed today to a repair shop.
How common is this failure? I did not run over anything and only drove on pavement. I'm very concerned because I see no logical reason why this happened. Will other leaf spring failures follow soon? I'm not confident in taking this trailer on the road anymore.
Your suggestions are appreciated!

Sergio
Old 12-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
Sc00ter

With normal* use, I have never seen leaf springs just snap. Could be a flaw in the metallurgy in the spring. No prior accidents or damage?

* I have seen leaf springs snap but it usually involves dramatic 4wheeling or overloading pickups, either way, pushing vehicles beyond their limits.

I would replace the spring and not worry about it. Chalk it up to luck that it broke where it did and karma. Were you turning sharp at the time?
Sc00ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
TUPFAM

I too, have never seen a leaf spring snap. I agree that it must be a defect in the spring. The question is, do the other springs have the same defect? Depending on the cost, I would probably replace the other springs. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
Sc00ter

Out of curiosity, did you buy it from a dealer? If so you might get some kind of deal in replacing all or one of the springs like TUPFAM suggested. In the mean time, look for either bends in the metal that aren't in line with the normal curve of the spring or cracks/lines in the rust indicating micro cracks in the other springs. Most times when things like this break, the cracks formed long ago. If you look at the actual break you will see where the rust penetrated to the bare metal and will be visible from the outside of the break.

Either way, I hope it works out and that this was an isolated incident with just that spring.

Sc00ter
Old 12-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
Sc00ter

These are two pictures of metal fractures that happened due to cracks that corroded, weakened, and then broke. Notice on the second photo the clean metal on the bottom, and the corrosion that penetrated all the way through. These types of cracks should be easily spotted by just looking at the springs for large cracks or rust bubbles.

Again, good luck and let us know how it turns out.

BTW, pictures from http://www.metalconsult.com/failureanalysis.html . Lots o' interesting/boring information there depending on your point of view.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:06 AM   #6
parklandgroupohio

Well, that's kind of unexpected! It was an '08 model right? That is fairly new if you ask me to if the metal was that worn your unit might have been used for off-roading or travel to a lot of saltwater areas. I've heard that saltwater does a lot of damage.
Me and the boys are taking my friends unit and it a little older, maybe an '06 but it looks pretty good. We're gonna be off to private land scouted from Acreage for sale, recommended by another friend. We're gonna make sure to check the springs on that one the week before going out.
parklandgroupohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
TUPFAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parklandgroupohio
Funny how this link makes it into each of your posts. Be careful or the mods/admin will think you're spamming and delete your account.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
Timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUPFAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parklandgroupohio
Funny how this link makes it into each of your posts. Be careful or the mods/admin will think you're spamming and delete your account.
I was thinking the same thing. I don't mind if he posts but keep the spam off the site. This site wasn't meant to be for free adveritising.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
64van

Default Re: Leaf Spring Failure

I'm a complete newby to this forum. I have an '08 Kingsport Lite purchased new in '09. Two days ago the right rear spring broke while driving at 60mph on smooth interstate. The tires were rubbing together and right rear was mere minutes/miles from catastrophic failure.
Pic of spring;http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...t=SAM_0167.jpg
pic of tire;http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...t=SAM_0176.jpg
This has not been an abused trailer, having only about 10k km since new, and only good roads.
Is this a common problem? Are there more of us out there remaining silent? Has there been any restitution from GS? Is there a factory upgrade?
I have contacted GS service dept but not received a return call as yet.
64van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
Timothy

I would contact John Smith at Gulf Stream, he is a great guy and will help you with your issues. As this is the second post regarding a leaf spring issue you may want to see if there is a recall.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
64van

Thanks, Timothy, I'll contact him tomorrow.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
64van

Well, I've heard from GS and as I expected I received sympathy and lip service. "Sorry. Nothing we can or will do about it" Not so much as a thankyou for choosing Gulf Stream. It will definitely influence my decision at replacement time.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #13
Sergio

Well my friends, it happened again! This time it was the other side. Going on a highway at 65 MPH and 3 hours from home. I absolutely hate this trailer! I had the leaf springs inspected last year and was told they were OK. This time it cost me big bucks because I had to call a truck repair emergency service but after a 9 hr wait I was on the road (to Canada) again.
Can you recommend a particular brand/type of springs that actually last so I can replace all 4 again?
Thanks

Sergio
Old 08-08-2014, 12:43 AM   #14
kasi

Its good that you are repair the vehicle and go for the trip and hope this trip is very good for you...
kasi is offline   Reply With Quote