Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
sdasaro

Default Pulling a Visa 19

Hi Y'all,
I have a 09 Lexus RX350 with 3500lb max and 350lb tongue max. It has a 3.5-liter V6 rated at 270 horsepower and 251 pound-feet of torque. Am I going to be happy with this combo? I plan on cross country trips. This will be my first rv and don't want to make a mistake. I promised the bride as cumfy a rig as our boat has been so I could probably get her into a 17 ft. if necessary but that would cramp us a wee bit.
Tx for your input.
Bungalostephen
sdasaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #2

Default Re: Pulling a Visa 19

Hi,

The drive train will not be a problem with an axiliary transmission cooler but the weak link will be your hitch reciever. They are not rated for the use of a weight distribution hitch (torsion bars). My 19ERD tongue weight is closed to 550 pounds when my TT is loaded and ready to go.

You may find a welding shop that can reinforce your OEM reciever.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
sdasaro

Tx for that but I have a draw tight hitch that I put on myself and a brake control. My Rx 350 has factory tow. Package incl. trans cooler, heavy duty alt. and radiator and for some unGodly reason a plug and play lighting connector hidden under the floor of the trunk LOL. Will the v6 get us over the mountains?
Bungalstephen
sdasaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #4

sdasaro,

Yes, your V6 will get you anywhere you want to go.

My actual TT is a Visa 19 ERD (23' long and +/- 3,500 lbs loaded) but for the last 10 years, it was a 25' Palomino (4,500 lbs loaded) pulled with my 2003 Pathfinder V6, 3.5 litres. The Path pulled the Palomino without any problem. I did go around the Gaspesia pininsula here in Quebec, the Charlevoix region north east of Quebec city and the Skyline Drive of the Blue Ridge Pkwy (Virginia), all places with a LOT of big and long hills. All you have to do is give your horse a chance in heavy hills. Downshift the tranny and keep the engine rev's at the torque peak rpm of your engine. In my case, it was around 40 mph in second gear (my tranny is an old 4 gears) and the rpm at 3,500 rpm. Never had a problem. Of course, the maintenance is essential like the tranny fluid change every 2 or 3 years and differential (synthetic fluid).
Old 03-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #5

@ sdasaro,

Check carefully your Draw-Tite hitch reciever. Here is what I found on their web site for your Lexus:

Description:

Round Tube Max-Frame Receiver
Finish:Black Powder Coat
Warranty:Limited Lifetime
Weight Carrying: 350/3,500 lbs. (TW/GTW)
Weight Distributing: 0 lbs. (TW/GTW)
Package Type: Bulk
Shipping Weight: 36.8 lbs.
Shipping Size: 46.25" L x 25" W x 7" H
Old 03-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
RinconVTR

You can tow it well, and safe, but not comfortably. I tow at the limits with a Honda Pilot, and know what you will feel. If you can overcome the mental stress of a high rev'ing engine, and a rougher ride on occasion, you will be fine. I/we do, and we're happy doing it. It's all about choice.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
charby

We entered the Visa ownership towing using a 2009 Santa Fe V6 with the factory tow package. It was rated for 3500 lbs, which is a typical SUV to which the Visa 19 was marketed too. I used it for the first year with fairly good results. I say fairly good, because it was near maximum range for this type of SUV, and did fine on flat terrain, with perfect weather (no wind). I had a number of occasions during (cross wind) conditions, which were white knuckle experiences, then add a transport passing makes for interesting driving. It was not a realaxing drive under those conditions, and later found the Santa Fe is not rated for anymore than 350 lbs with weight distribution hitch. I have now learned a 5000 lbs tow rating TV, makes a great difference in towing the Visa 19. If you are travelling a short 2 lane drive, a 3500 lb TV will work OK, but travelling a 4 lane 500 mile trip, will require more. Just my 2 cents of my experiences, and not meant to discourage a new Visa member.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
gdmercad

I pull my VISA 19ERD with a 2012 Toyota Highlander that has the factory tow package installed (oil and tranny cooler installed) I installed the factory hitch.receiver and brake controller. The system is rated for 5K. It pulls well using a sway bar. I maintain 60 mph averaging 12 mpg. crosswinds above 25 mph make for interested white knuckle driving. Currently in Louisiana. We pulled it from Virginia to Florida to Louisiana. Maintain weight below 3,500 lbs.
gdmercad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
CaptRon

There's no substitute for low end torque or wheelbase. Mo' is betta .

We towed our 19ERD with a Toyota Van (3500lb Tow Rating and 235hp) but it was a strain and the hitch is so low it would drag on a slight bump but the wheelbase was long enough to give a pretty good ride and that was with air bags in the rear coils and a WDH. We switched to a higher tow rated Chevy Trailblazer (5500lb rating and 290 hp) but it didn't improve things much. Better hitch position but the problem is wheelbase. The Chevy is shorter than the Toyota and even with a perfectly tuned WDH (confirmed by CAT scale) the wind and getting passed by big rigs is less than easy driving. The trailer also throws it's weight around and you definitely feel it back there. My sense of it is that a full sized SUV like a Toyota Sequoia or Chevy Suburban would be better. A big V8 won't get much worse gas mileage either. The Trailblazer 6 only does about 11mpg towing and the Toyota Van V6 got about 9mpg. A friend tows a 27foot travel trailer behind his Chevy Pick-up with a big V-8 and gets about 13-14mpg. Of course, we're talking keeping the speed down to the 60-65mph range on the Interstate. With the Toyota we towed in 4th gear and the 5spd tranny would still downshift to 3rd on every interstate overpass. With the Chevy we tow in 3rd gear (4spd trans) and every now and then the tranny will downshift on what I would call a mild grade.

The best tow vehicles have loads of low-end torque and a long wheelbase. I once had a VW Rabbit diesel that would pull my 18ft Cobia with Evinrude 85 full of gas and gear up a steep boat ramp. I would not call it a good TV but it sure had the low end torque.

I think my next attempt at a long-haul tow vehicle will be something like a diesel Suburban. Ideally on the flat and level you would like the tranny to be in overdrive, with the torque converter locked and the engine breathing easy and turning at a nice slow rate. Maybe driving the Interstates of the Appalachians gets you a downshift once in a while but it would take the Rockies to get the tranny heated up. A 'Burbin might be overkill for the 19ERD but It should hardly notice it back there.

Love the camper, not so much the TV.
CaptRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
GGB

It all depends what you feel comfortable with. Can your RX tow that trailer, the answer is yes. Will you feel comfortable towing the trailer, only you can answer that question. All trailers I have owned the purchase was always conditional on a test tow, not sure if you can find dealers in your area willing to let you do a test tow. Main problem with towing at your max weight is that most set ups are not done properly. One issue when you are using a WD hitch is that you can not get the full weight transfer due to the fact that most hitches will start flexing so maximum weight transfer is not achieved. We are in the process of buying a 23CSK (4198lbs as it sits on the dealer lot) and will be towing with a 2010 Toyota Sienna with the factory tow package. In addition to the tow package I have added an external transmission cooler, progressive brake controller, and also I had my hitch reinforced and extended under the van so that the weight distribution transfer loads are closer to the rear axle. In addition to the WD hitch I will be using dual friction sway controls. Up to now I have towed a 20ft hybrid TT that weighs in around 4100 lbs loaded for a trip and have not had any issues. I have travelled to the west coast of Canada through the Rockies last summer and other than slowing down to about 55mph on the steepest grades in the right lane (still passing transport trucks on those grades) had no issues. I easily maintain 65mph in other areas and could have gone faster but then the mileage or lack of was insane. At 65mph average mileage was 12 US mpg for the round trip from Toronto Ontario to Vancouver BC and back. I have a friend that tows a 28ft Airstream at 7300lbs with a 2011 Toyota Sienna set up the same way as mine. When I figure out how to post some photos of set up I will. To the OP not sure where you are located but if you contact CanAm RV in London Ontario check out their web site to see the combinations they have set up. If you are close enough they have many set ups of their own that you can actual do a test tow before you buy. They are the only RV dealer that truly knows how to set up proper towing combinations. here is their web site http://www.canamrv.ca. Good luck and only you will know what you are comfortable with.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
sam75

We tow our 19ERD with a 2009 Honda Pilot 4WD with tow package, which has the same engine as GGB has, and very similar to yours. We use an Equalizer 6000/600 hitch (not the E2 but the full 4-way) and experience no sway at all from passing big rigs or crosswinds. Since our Visa has the infamous marginally rated 3500lb axle, we don't take all the hitch weight off of the Pilot (and transfer about 1/3 of it on the trailer axle and 2/3 on the front Pilot axles), but less than half of it. Some of the remaining rear end sag we would normally have is taken care of by Airlift 1000 air bags I put on the Pilot (a well spent $175 - very nice addition for heavily loaded trips without the Visa as well!). With our light weight and short wb tow vehicles, I believe the WD hitch you choose is important - I believe after reading lots of forum posts that the Equalizer or the Reese Dual-Cam are good choices, and I read that the E2 has also worked out well for a couple of Pilot owners. Other than that, as long as you can become comfortable with the 2nd gear/>4000rpm you will need on some climbs (as all of us in the 3.5 liter tow vehicle club hopefully are), you're good.
NOTE - another reason not to fully compensate TV rear end sag with your WDH - I quote (sorry I've lost the authors name or forum this came from): "In order to not affect the Honda’s computer controlled decision making about transferring power to the back wheels, it is best to not crank up the WD hitch to bring the truck back to its height without trailer on. Let the trailer lower the rear hitch say ½” over no trailer on it at all, so the Honda power-transfer circuit works right."
sam75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
ShabyBaby

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/vufoiqd45m330h1/IMG_00000458.jpg/img]I just picked up a Brand New 2011 Visa 19RSD and I tow with a 2012 Honda Pilot Touring . I added a E2 WDH and found after my first run picking up the trailer in Kamloops this past May long weekend that the Honda is well suited to this truck and perfect for us. Love the trailer love the combo but we were wise to go with the 19 not the 23 as the camp kitchen and all our other adders load up the trailer as much as I feel comfortable. Even though we dry camp half the time , we only put a few gallons of water in the tank and fill up at destination. Thank god I listened to my well RV experienced father and did not buy the 4100lb trailer we were looking at because I dont think after all said and done would just be too much and I dont want to buy a new truck. EDIT ( Seems the dealer did a piss poor job of installing the hitch. The Visa 19RSD when fully level the top of the hitch is 18" my ball was sitting a 22" and at the bottom of the shank. Installing and setting up the WDH is key to a safe and comfortable experience. ) For Honda owners buy a new shank 12" with a 3" drop so you can get the top of ball height the same 18" when the truck is fully loaded with all your gear, Mine sits at 19.5" unloaded.)

Also in this pic I added AirLift 1000 air bag system Kit #60748 love the ride for day to day driving as well as helping with the WDH.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_00000458.jpg (209.5 KB, 6352 views)
ShabyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #13
psgoodale

I plan on pulling my 2013 Visa TT RBS with a Jeep JK 4 door Wrangler. It has a v6 but its only a sport model in which case comes with tall gears. 3:21's. Tall gears offer better gas mileage and higher top speed but when towing, torque is important. I am getting it regeared in two weeks to have 4:10's. Since I have 32" tires this should work nicely. Tire size and gear ratio can get you the added torque if your struggling with power but you will also compensate your top speed to get this. There are charts that you can find to see what's best. Any vehicle can be re-geared if its underpowered but remember if is 4 or all wheel drive you have to do both axels. $1800 in my area to get this done which is not cheap but I need to do it. My brother in law was nice enough to tow it home for me from the dealer until I have my vehicle ready to tow it. He pulled it with a Toyota tundra and said there was some sway. Also he said his side mirrors were not wide enough to see around the trailer. I plan on getting a weight distribution hitch that has sway control and I will need to install the proper mirrors to see. Not to mention I have to install the wiring and brake controller. Don't forget each vehicle has a rating for how much frontage the trailer can have. More frontage = more draft on highway = need more horsepower to pull it. Hope this helps.
psgoodale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:52 AM   #14
jackli

The cell jammers ,you can get more details at jammerall.com
jackli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #15
RinconVTR

The Honda Pilot does the 23 as well as the 19, if not better because of the tandem axle on the 23. Weighs 4100lbs normally loaded, 4300 with 4 bikes loaded. (2 bike rack in the back and 2 in the camper) Also, I never heard of any reason not to level out the Pilot for the RWD to kick in. I call BS to that. The AWD system has nothing to do with the attitude of the SUV.

We bought a larger SUV last Fall foreseeing 3-4 years of national summer vacation travel with our 23BHD. The Pilot was fine in state, but high elevations with a loss of power and some 10 hour long drives wasn't going to cut it. We miss our Pilot!

Old 06-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #16

Last fall, I trade my 2003 Path for a 2013 VW Touareg TDI (V6 turbo diesel, 8 speed tranny).

I wen't from Montreal to Florida last winter and I average a fuel economy of 13,5 L/100 km or 17,4 mpg US gal. I had the TT behind for 80% of the run.
Total of 8,170 km and 1103,8 litres of fuel. With the VISA and my old Path, for about the same trip in 2013, it was 18,8 L/100 km (12,5 mpg US gal).

I just love the torque and power of the TDI. And now, I don't reduce my speed anymore going up hill on interstates of NY and PA. I drive at 103-105 km/h all the time.