Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
jetjock

Default VISA 19ERD Bent Axle

Has anyone had a problem with a bent axle on any VISA model? After 2800 miles on my brand new trailer, the left tire blew. When I put the spare on, I saw that the inside edge of the tire was worn off through 3 cords while the outside tread was like new. I was near Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada on my way to Alaska.
My dealer contacted Gulf Stream and they wanted to see the axle. I got the phone number of the people that provided the torsional axle, but they "had none in stock". It would have taken 1.5 - 2 weeks to get a torsional axle in and have it installed. I had no option but to have a standard axle system put on the trailer in order to continue my trip. Now the fight for a Warranty Claim. One bonus out of this is that the trailer is raised about 4 inches.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
tinapetel

Default Re: VISA 19ERD Bent Axle

Check to see if the wheel housing was rubbing on the tire. My tires wore the same way and Gulfstream put larger wheel housings on mine.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
jetjock

Thanks for your reply, but it was the inside of the tire that wore through. Two trailer dealers indicated that the tire failed because of a bent or broken axle. Neither could fix the problem, as it would have taken 2-3 weeks to get a torsion axle in. The second one recommended the local welding outfit that replaced the bent axle with a standard spring type. As far as warrantry was concerned, Gulf Stream wanted to see the axle before they would discuss replacing the axle. Talk about being between a rock and a hard place. I have no idea what it would cost to ship the axle from the Yukon and unless it was sent by air freight, it could have taken at least week to get to Gulf Stream. Then they would have to deal with the supplier of the axle. I would have been stranded there for at least a month and my trip to Alaska would have been ruined. I had already travelled about 2000 miles and 10 days to get to Whitehorse and was within a day or two of Alaska.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
deltamark

Am currently on a two-week vacation with our 2011 Visa RSD and the same thing happened. Had a blow-out on the passenger side trailer tire. The inside of the thread was totally worn through. After fixing, I noticed that the driver side tire was exactly the same way. We might have had 7,500 miles on the trailer. I stopped and had a truck repair person look at it, but he couldn't see that the axel was bent. I'm gong to have to have this checked out when I get back. This is very disturbing.
deltamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
jetjock

Please keep me informed on your progress. My trai;er dealer just sent info (pictures and invoice for axle replacement) to the Axle supplier. She was told to do this by Gulf Stream. I'll post the outcome when I get the reply.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
deltamark

Will do. I'm sure it will be a few weeks before I get any answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock
Please keep me informed on your progress. My trai;er dealer just sent info (pictures and invoice for axle replacement) to the Axle supplier. She was told to do this by Gulf Stream. I'll post the outcome when I get the reply.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
tinapetel

My tires wore the same way and Gulfstream put larger wheel housings on mine the 2nd time my tires wore ( after about 5000 miles). The 1st time the complete axle was replaced (after 4000 miles). I have about 3600 miles on my 3rd set of tires. they are not worn out yet, but are definitely wearing much faster on the inside of both tires.
ALL VISA OWNERS SHOULD KEEP AN EYE ON INSIDE TIRE WEAR!
Old 10-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
deltamark

Found the following post that appears to be the same issue: http://www.roamingtimes.com/rvreports/5 ... ailer.aspx
Old 10-30-2011, 11:33 PM   #9
jetjock

It's beginning to look like the axles are coming out of the manufacturers bent. The odds of having 4 (known) bent axles after delivery are very slim unless the axles aren't as strong a they are supposed to be. My axles were out by 1/4", the same as the one in the link you listed. I'm still waiting for the manufactures reply to my dealership.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
toaobigal

I'm wondering how they ship the trailers from the factory: if they put them on flatbed trailers, it's possible that the axles are getting bent in the shipping process. I had a tire (door side) that wore out very fast (about 200 miles) but it was because it was low on air, only 15 psi instead of 50 at it was my fault: I didn't check the tire pressure. Once I put the right pressure, I drove 1400 more miles without a problem.
toaobigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:15 PM   #11
deltamark

Could be Toaobigal. I was also wondering about the fact that early this year, I had the dealer install a riser kit that raised the trailer about 3 - 4 inches. Perhaps that changed the way the axle is aligned. Anybody else with this issue have the riser kit installed?
Old 10-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #12
toaobigal

Did any of you guys with tire problems try radial tires? While it think the alignement of the axle could be the problem (not sitting straight), bias ply tires do wear faster than radials and the ones they put on our Visas are pretty cheap. Next season, I was going to switch to radials tire but now that I've booked a seasonal place, I'm not going to waste money on tires that will probably sit all summer. However, if we go somewhere far enough for our vacations (2000 miles back and forth last August) then I'll get radials.
toaobigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #13
Electro907

I have the same problem on my Visa 19RSD. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.
I was getting the trailer ready for the winter and when I went underneath to find the drain plugs I noticed that the inside of the driver's side tire was all worn out, I could see some of the cord. I looked at the other side and it was worn out as well but not as much. I contacted the dealer and he told me that it's usually because of too much weight in the trailer and said to bring it in so they could look at it. On our way over to the dealer's I was looking in my mirror and noticed that the wheel wasn't straight, and the trailer was almost empty. When we arrived at the dealer's the salesman came out and I immediately pointed it out to him. I'm waiting for them to call me back and let me know what the problem is.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #14
leonmacha

Default Re: VISA 19ERD Bent Axle - need RECALL!

Gulf Stream and Lippert Components (axle mfg) need to issue a recall. At 3000 miles my tires were badly worn in inside. Same old story. Gulf Stream provided replacement tires, Lippert a new axle and paid labor for the install. Now have to do another 3000-5000 miles out of warranty to see if the fix was right. My VISA dealer dropped the VISA line and then the replacement dealer also dropped out. I consulted another VISA dealer (who was not interested in doing the repair) and the service manager said the axle suffered from 'loss of camber'. Actually it was fabricated out of camber.
I,too, would have had a blow out if I was not under trailer looking for another problem.

That service mgr said that GS or Lippert would blame on overweight, but I filed my complaint with a weight ticket to prove otherwise. Overweight was never mentioned.
leonmacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #15
deltamark

Default VISA Axle Issue Suggestion

Just brought my 2011 Visa home today from the service department of an area dealer. Had it in because of the tires being completely worn down on the inside portion and consequently, suffering a blowout on the passenger side tire. The dealer's service department stated that the axel did not appear to be bent, but GS is reimbursing me for the replacement of the tires.Â*

I am still very uncomfortable with the possibility that this will reoccur again. This is the path that I am taking:

My Gulf Stream owner's manual states, "If you believe that your vehicle has a defect that could cause a crash or could cause injury or death, you should immediately inform the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in addition to notifying Gulf Stream Coach."

"If NHTSA receives similar complaints, it may open an investigation, and if it finds that a safety defect exists in a group of vehicles, it may order a recall and remedy campaign."

The NHTSA web site is www.NHTSA.gov or 1-800-424-9393
Old 12-16-2011, 09:30 PM   #16
leonmacha

Insist on a new axle. Due to dynamics of these flex axles, you cannot see any bend. The axle is fabricated wrong, not bent. Doing the most precise measurements I could do, the tires were 1/4 inch further apart in front than in back. You might think that is not much, but apparently bad enough to eat up tires. Keep after them.
leonmacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #17
jetjock

Default VISA 19ERD Bent Axle

I just received a cheque from Lippert Axles for full payment of the axle I had replaced back in Jun 11.
They paid me for the installation of a standard spring mounted axle, which was installed in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory while I was on my trip to Alaska.
The claim was filed in Aug 11, so it took over 4 months. I had submitted a Weigh Scale report showing that the trailer was not over the 3500 lb. axle limit.
One positive thing was that the new axle raised the trailer 3-4 inches, so I didn't need the lift kit that I was planning on installing when I got home.
I should have included the tires in the claim, but this is more than I thought I would get.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #18
oboereeds

I too have been having this problem with my 19ERD eating up tires on the inside shoulder. First the dealer said the axle was not straight so it was reset (off by about 1/2"), but then after about 2500 more miles and a new tire it happened again. Now they are saying that everything is within spec and they want to just "give it back to me." I'm glad I ran across this and will speak with the service manager. Obviously the people at Gulfstream know about this problem, so I'm surprised (or maybe I shouldn't be) that they would give me the run-around on it. They're probably just hoping for the warranty to run out before I come back again. This is my fourth travel trailer and I've never had one tear up tires before.
oboereeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #19
RinconVTR

Is anyone aware if Gulfstream resolved this issue on 2012 models?

I am about to buy a 2012 Visa 19RSD (have money down) but I saw the delivery date of October 2011. The dealer said he is aware of some having the tire wear and axle problem, but only because he reads the forums. He has not yet had a customer return with the issue. The mannor which he said this, made me believe him. So I wonder if the 12 models have axles made to spec...or not.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #20
visagiles

I have a 2012 Visa ERD. It has less than 1000 miles on it, and the tires are showing excessive wear on the inside. It appears to be an axle problem. The trailer is rated at about 4000# GVW, and the axle is only rated at 3500#. The empty trailer weight is slightly over 3000#, so this only leaves you about 450# of cargo weight before you are overweight causing axle bowing. This appears to be a design error, and I am going to contact my dealer tomorrow, and also Gulfstream, and hope that they will do the right thing, (replace the axle with a properly rated one.) If Gulfstream does not voluntarily issue a recall on these axles, I urge all owners to check your axle rating, compare it with your GVW rating and notify NHTSA if the axle is not properly rated for your trailer. This is a safety issue, and hopefully Gulfstream will not try to avoid it. A friend of mine bought the identical model the same day as mine, and he is also experiencing the same issues, except he has had a blowout.
visagiles is offline   Reply With Quote