Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-29-2018, 03:43 PM   #1
Minormanic

Default Help Newbie 2003

I’ve owned 2003 Ultra for 1 1/2 weeks. Traded a van with an individual. All breakers are on. Plenty of LP. Can not get water heater to work. Monitor says pilot out. I turned furnace on the other night and it didn’t get warm and also the heater in roof doesn’t blow warm. Then....... after I dump tanks ( twice now) they show still 1/2 full. I’m a 64 yo retiree who started fulltiming in Oct 2017 with my 3 dogs in a van. I think I know how to work on black tank, however not sure why grey would also show 1/2 full right after dumping. Anyhow thanks for reading and any advice appreciated. Also I had 200 Watts Renogy solar panels installed.
Minormanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:15 PM   #2
Broncbuster

I have never had tank level indicators that were accurate, Usually after a good cleaning they will work better. I used to put really hot water in mine with a cup of simple green and drive around a few minutes then drain.

Not to be a Smart A$$ but is the propane valve turned on? On my older C I had to bleed the air out after it would sit a while. If water heater and furnace won't light off I would suspect that is the issue. Bleed out at the stove.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:52 PM   #3
Leisure Time Larry

It sounds like you are having a LP issue. Do you have a galley with a gas range? Lighting a burner is often a great way to see if you have LP flowing well. Is the valve on from the LP tank? How is your 12V power? The hot water heater will use 12v to light the pilot, so check your power and your 12v fuses, not your 120v AC power breakers.

LP tanks can get too full if over 80%. This can cause a freezing up of the lines.

Tank sensors are always a problem. YouTube common DIY fixes, or learn to know how to read your system and deciding what is true.

Usually on these units, the vents in the ceiling are for cold air A/C and are not connected to the heat furnace. Look for the brown colored vents, those are your hot air registers, and they are usually located near the floor.

Congrats, and good luck with your new coach!
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:15 AM   #4
Sudsy

Default Rooftop Heat Pump?

Maybe the rooftop unit is a heat pump. If so it will have a heat function. I had an old Coachman TT that had a unit like that. I used it when I had an electric hookup and saved the propane that the heater would have used.

I almost ignore my tank level indicators. Life is just too short to worry about that stuff.

Sudsy
Old 01-30-2018, 04:45 PM   #5
Minormanic

I love your advise to not worry about the tank level indicators because they were really starting to p!$$ me off lol. Heat pump.... hmmmm... could be. None of the papers and manuals are specific about it. I’ll check into that. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:46 PM   #6
Minormanic

I’ve been using all of the burners and oven. Thanks for all your smart advice lol
Old 01-30-2018, 04:48 PM   #7
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minormanic View Post
I love your advise to not worry about the tank level indicators because they were really starting to p!$$ me off lol. Heat pump.... hmmmm... could be. None of the papers and manuals are specific about it. I’ll check into that. Thanks.

Try writing down the make and model and look online for the manuals.

S
Old 01-30-2018, 04:53 PM   #8
Minormanic

I’ve been using my gas stovetop and oven and works fine. I will check the 12 volt fuses. Somebody else mentioned the roof top heater is possibly a heat pump. I’ll check into that. And the 12 volt fuses. I’m loving it all so far, even with the quirks I’m having trouble with. Thanks for your advice!
Old 02-10-2018, 08:08 PM   #9
ChrisW

When I had 2 sensors reading off I called the company who makes the panel and they gave me some suggestions. Clean all connections at the tanks, make sure they are tight and the connector is clean. Ohms resistance of the wire from the sensor to the panel. Then they had me adjust the sensor screws on the back of the panel to read zero. (black water and fresh water tanks were off).
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #10
Sudsy

Default Forget About It

Really, just leave it alone. It will drive you crazy (like me) and they will still not read correctly. Especially the Black tank. There are so many post on this subject in different places but at the end you will finally decide to leave it alone.

Sudsy