Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #1
Lesyo64

Default Porch light

Is there a way to keep the porch light on? Everything I've tried and the light turns off after time elapses.
1999 Tourmaster
Lesyo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:07 PM   #2
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesyo64 View Post
Is there a way to keep the porch light on? Everything I've tried and the light turns off after time elapses.
1999 Tourmaster

A couple comments here.

1.The light will create heat that will distort the housing and make the lens fall out. I had this problem but switched the light to an LED. Problem solved.

2. I have read that the number 1 cause for RV fires is overheated light fixtures igniting the construction material. I see a lot of people shorting out pins on the mating connector for the tow vehicle causing all of the running lights to stay on. If not LED there will be many sources for ignition.

3. Look behind the switch panel for the "timer thing" and just bypass it. But do change toe porch light bulb to an LED. If it's not there it may be behind the light fixture itself.

Sudsy
Old 09-06-2018, 03:21 PM   #3
Lesyo64

Thanks,
Not only are LEDs cooler but they draw much less amperage.
Lesyo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:24 AM   #4
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

LEDs are 90% LESS amps; interesting home vent hood the other day, halogen bulb had burned out on left, had replaced w/ LED, then halogen bulb went out on right, and push-button dimmer/ switches would no longer turn off the LED. Thinking circuit board blown, priced on internet at over $100..(did not order). then decided to replace other halogen, it came on when I started to unscrew, and dimmer now would turn the lights off.. guessing it had to draw x-amps, and the one LED would not provide enough... not yet sure if two will or not, but Lowes no longer had the halogens I needed.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
LEDs are 90% LESS amps; interesting home vent hood the other day, halogen bulb had burned out on left, had replaced w/ LED, then halogen bulb went out on right, and push-button dimmer/ switches would no longer turn off the LED. Thinking circuit board blown, priced on internet at over $100..(did not order). then decided to replace other halogen, it came on when I started to unscrew, and dimmer now would turn the lights off.. guessing it had to draw x-amps, and the one LED would not provide enough... not yet sure if two will or not, but Lowes no longer had the halogens I needed.

Try running that Halogen part number at

https://www.superbrightleds.com/

There may be LEDs available for your application. The problem is the resistance of the pure LED bulb. Some of the early replacement LEDs had resistors in parallel to make the dimmers happy. Now if you look at household bulbs you will see "dimmable" and "non-dimmable" bulbs available.

Sudsy
Old 09-26-2018, 05:54 PM   #6
Sundancer268

Check the fixture, on my 95 the porch light switch has two positions with center off. One position turns the light on continuously and the other position worked with what I believe was a motion sensor. This was burnt out on both of my outside lights and I didn't figure it out until I removed the light and saw two power wires. One lit the porch light and the other went to the defective sensor and then to the light. Gulf stream no longer sold the lights so I replaced one over the door with a dual lamp fixture with a white and an amber lamp so I could select one or the other light source depending on the insect population. The other fixture I just rewired both switch leads to the light bypassing the sensor so no matter what switch position I selected the drivers side light worked
Air Force One Brake System
Sundancer268 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
porch light operation