Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #21
nailerman

Default Re: Trouble with ABS Controller.

Good to hear from you, TC. Your are right, the failures of the IH Chassis parts have been beyond believe. IH used to have such a good reputation, but I have my doubts now. All of the smaller Class A's that we are looking at have the same Max Force Engine (VT 365) just not pumped up as much. One we really like is the Tiffin Breeze 28. It is just right for the two of us. But it has the Max force engine. I am working with Tiffin to learn how many IH parts they are using. I have talked to a few owners who swear by the Breese 28. One fellow up in Fredericksburg, VA has taken his to Alaska and back with any hiccups at all.

Anyway, when Bessie is running, it is great and drives like a dream. We have had it on two small runs in the last month and low and behold, the ABS problem again. IH has it now. We plan on going to Nashville and Memphis later this month, but Bessie's being fickle is getting old. Wish someone would own up and make a trade with me.

Glad you are enjoying you new RV. I do not have your email so I cannot communicate directly. Will be running down to both Dallas and Houston this summer. I would like to catch up with you. Sandy
nailerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #22
Georunner

Our ABS light came on yesterday as well. Second time for us. First time was the ABS controller.
Georunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #23
nailerman

It was not the controller this time but a sensor on the driver rear. By the time it was said and done, out $700.00. They did fine that a side wall on the same tire set pulled away. $888.00 for two new tires. Been a fun day.
nailerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #24
Gemini John

My Brake controller gave up the ghost in May. My local international dealer dealt with the manufacturer and all I had to pay was the labor ($600) So I said OK. But then 2 weeks later a shutoff problem came up. No codes that would make sense, and sometimes the crank and cam sensor codes would come up. international stepped up to the plate after it sat at the dealer for a week and renewed the IDS injector driver. Suddenly I had an extra year of warranty and they covered it complete!!!!!!!! Wow, there are good dealers out there. i feel kind of snake bit considering the low miles but both parts were suspect according to this forum. Lots of entire vehicle re-flashes along the way too. I think it has a little less power now but everywhere I go it's way too hot and thin air ain't good to no diesel motor. But I still LOVE how this thing drives so away I go. The ACE airride 810 was worth all the money and it's a motorhome. Kind of a cross between a boat and a hooker you know. Gives you lots of luxury and fun, but always wants a little more momey.............. HJ
Old 10-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #25
Kimbo

Our 2008 6372 Supernova gave out during our spring break trip return trip from Florida to Maryland. The same symptoms everyone experienced with idiot lights and buzzer indicating a problem. We would pull over and shutoff the engine for 10 - 15 minutes and restart the coach. No lights or buzzers. Off we would go until the lights and buzzer kicked in - we limped back into Maryland for a very long drive back.

The coach was repaired by a local International repair shop - Capitol Cities International - good place by Annapolis, MD and they swapped out the controller unit with a rebuilt unit. Good Sam's covered most of the cost of this repair. I haven't had any problems since this repair but now I won't be suprised when if it happens again.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #26
Jim&Karin

My 2008 is now at International and looks like it will need its third ABS Controller. I am getting about 5000 miles on each controller. Pretty awful. In addition to these controllers, I had to replace two calipers because they were dragging and wheel sensors because brakes overheated and melted the abs wheel sensors. I always had small problems with previous motor homes, but this motor home takes the prize for ruining trips.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #27
atberger1

I thought I joined the club for having to replace the ABS Controller. A few weeks back the warning buzzer came on, low break fluid light and low break pressure light came on when slowing coming to a toll. Right away I remembered reading on this forum about the ABS module problem happening around 30,000 miles. I had about 30,500 on my 2008 Super Nova 6400. I pulled over and checked the brake fluid reservoir which was full. I also had full break pressure when pressing the brake peddle. I was about 35 miles from home so I decided to drive on. After re-starting the engine, the alarm and warning lights went off. About 5 miles later they came on and stayed on for the remainder of the drive. It took two weeks to get an appointment at my local International dealer. After about a week I got a call from them asking me if I have ever replaced the starter batteries. I had not. They said that when they ran the computer check on the module it was coming up with low voltage. I knew the batteries were nearing their end so I said replace them. Sure enough that fixed the problem. The International dealer said they checked with Meritor, the maker of the module and they said that it is usually low batteries or a bad ground that causes the module to appear to be faulty and in most cases it does not need replaced. In my case they appear to be right as I have not had the issue come up in my last two trips for a couple hundred miles . Just wanted to share my experience as many have had this issue and had an expensive replacement bill.

Tom
Old 11-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #28
Jim&Karin

Tom,

Thanks for the info on low battery voltage. Hope you have only good fortune and many happy miles with your motorhome.

Jim
Old 11-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #29
38Chevy454

My story - not quite a brake controller, but related. I had brakes dragging and causing the brake pressure and ABS lights to come on. I unplugged the big ABS fuse thinking it was an ABS actuation problem. Maybe it seemed to help some, but of course that made a beeping alarm that is about enough to drive you crazy. Even tried wrapping alarm with a paper napkin to dull the sound. Can't wrap it fully as it is enclosed in a sealed area.

Long story short, I ended up melting a couple ABS sensors, and overheated brakes all around. The official diagnosis was a master cylinder holding pressure. Of course this all happened when on a trip, so bend over at the dealer. New master cyl, new calipers all four corners, new pads all four corners, new rotors all four corners, and four new ABS sensors. Approx $6000 of repair costs.

I tried to get Meritor to cover as it only had 24K miles. They would not since age was over warranty. Took three days at dealer in Denver waiting to get repairs done. Needless to say it ruined that trip.

To compound the issue I talked with Meritor rep and determined the brakes are not bled properly by dealer. It has to have a computer hooked up to get all air out of the brake controller unit;requiring the computer program to pulse the controller while it is pressure bled. I was at dealer and saw it was just normal pedal pump bled. So I still have some air in the system which causes excessive times to pump up the controller to full pressure after not running MH for a while.

The Gulfstream part of MH has been fine, it is the International chassis part that has problems for me!

2008 Supernova 6331
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #30
Jim&Karin

My 2008 motorhome had both rear brake calipers replaced. Passenger rear under warranty with less than 10000 miles and the driver side rear one about a year after the first at about 12000. The dragging was just like the recall which affected many motorhome on workhorse chassis. I hope I had had my fill of brake problems. I agree that rest of coach seems to be holding up ok. Only little problems.
Jim
Old 11-06-2018, 10:52 AM   #31
LJ4174

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtream1 View Post
Well, 3 weeks ago I just went through the same thing (except for the buzzer). Fortunately mine was only the ABS sensor in the rear (5 dollar part but 150 labor for diagnosis and replacement at IH dealer).
So resurrecting an old thread here... Just picked up a new to us 2008 Endura built on the International 4200 chassis with the VT365 engine, with 42,000 miles. This happened on our maiden trip, just the yellow ABS light, no buzzing, etc. Do you remember what sensor they replaced? We are currently out of town in the RV and I'm a bit concerned driving it home. I've called a few places and they can't seem to get me in for a week, etc. I tested the wheel sensors. Where is the ABS module and/or relay?

Thanks...

LJ
LJ4174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:03 AM   #32
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ4174 View Post
So resurrecting an old thread here... Just picked up a new to us 2008 Endura built on the International 4200 chassis with the VT365 engine, with 42,000 miles. This happened on our maiden trip, just the yellow ABS light, no buzzing, etc. Do you remember what sensor they replaced? We are currently out of town in the RV and I'm a bit concerned driving it home. I've called a few places and they can't seem to get me in for a week, etc. I tested the wheel sensors. Where is the ABS module and/or relay?

Thanks...

LJ
Did you have the code read? They do it for free at some auto parts stores.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:20 AM   #33
LJ4174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
Did you have the code read? They do it for free at some auto parts stores.
I went to a diesel shop and had it read. It's the rear sensor that I suspected... I called Advanced Auto and they said they could only read ODB2 connectors??? I don't "think" my RV has one...
Old 11-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #34
SlimTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ4174 View Post
I went to a diesel shop and had it read. It's the rear sensor that I suspected... I called Advanced Auto and they said they could only read ODB2 connectors??? I don't "think" my RV has one...
You are correct, the International trucks do not have an ODB2 diagnostic port. You need a special scanner used on large trucks to read the engine and body codes on an international.

If you are interested, I think LTC_R has a Scangauge Display in his 6400 that will display codes. You can do a search for Scangauge to find the posting.
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:35 PM   #35
LJ4174

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimTim View Post
You are correct, the International trucks do not have an ODB2 diagnostic port. You need a special scanner used on large trucks to read the engine and body codes on an international.

If you are interested, I think LTC_R has a Scangauge Display in his 6400 that will display codes. You can do a search for Scangauge to find the posting.
Thanks... I couldn't find anything specific from LTC-R - but, I got some info, seems legit...
Old 03-10-2021, 02:17 PM   #36
Stevejo

well I guess I am part of this ABS, BS myself with my 2008 Endura. I have had the abs, low brake pressure and low brake fluid pressure lights randomly coming on. I read where somebody had this issue and it was determined to have weak chassis batteries.I checked my batteries and they appear to the original batteries. I cant believe they lasted this long. I am not sure if it has anything to do with the ABS system but I will replace the batteries and see what happens.
Stevejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:33 PM   #37
Rvguy

Default Abs brake module. Has anyone changed it if so what's the part number?

Abs brake module. Has anyone changed it if so what's the part number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob View Post
My pal from the Republic of Texas is correct, had the exact same issue back in February-

We were heading back to Florida from South Carolina after visiting our granddaughter in St Judes in Memphis, when the warning lights and buzzer came on. We stopped, and it reset, but about a half hour later, on they came again. We pulled into a Wal Mart in beautiful Holly Springs, Mississippi, put a call into Coach Net, and they decided to err on the side of caution and ordered a free tow. We had to wait the night for the tow, and woke up the next morning to a four inch snowfall overnight-

Word of personal experience, Coach Net told me the closest dealer at the time, who was in Tupelo, Miss, about 45 miles away, wouldn't take the unit "because we were a motor home, and they didn't do motor homes." My pleas that I was in fact a bus chassis with a box attached fell on deaf ears, so we wound up being towed to a nice dealership in Columbus Mississippi, about 130 miles away.

They immediately diagnosed the problem as a failed brake controller unit, and they had one sent in UPS overnight and fixed it the next day, under full warranty. They stated that they had had lots of problems with the brake controller units in the local school bus fleet, and had replaced most of them in the fleet.

This was the second time, btw, that I have been told in no uncertain terms that International Dealers won't work on motor homes and have been refused service, despite my pleas.

Jim Bob
08 Super Nova Mailbu Chev toad
Currently in winter quarters, St Augustine, Fl
http://jimbobmissbetteandbuster.blogspot.com
Rvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 12:00 AM   #38
Rvguy

Default Trouble with abs controller

Had any one replaced the abs controller unit, and if so what was the part number
Rvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:40 PM   #39
rld63

I had mine just changed at the IH Dealer. I tried to find the part number but no luck.

Will say, it is nice not having the ABS and Brake lights and alarms going off, and it stops much better.

Roy.

2008 SuperNova 6400 Grand Hotel
Pulling a Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
rld63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:28 PM   #40
rld63

Default Brake Controller part #

I just recently had my brake controller replaced by IH.

The parts list was:
101N/2598668C96 -- Control, Kit EHCU L/PRK BRK HEB $5,153,53
Core for controller was $1350.00

Hope this helps.

2008 SuperNova 6400 Grand Hotel
Pulling a Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
rld63 is offline   Reply With Quote