Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-29-2018, 06:43 PM   #1
[email protected]

Default A/C wiring

I have a 99 Gulfstream Millenium with the original generator. The Air Con unit in the roof is not working. An Elecrician has told me it appears there is a break in the wiring between the control box under the bed and the unit itself.
Does anyone know what route this wire to the Air Con unit takes. The electrician cut a hole in the overhead cupboard and traced the wire into the roof area but from there we are unable to trace it. Does it come down from the roof and under the refrigerator or continue through the roof to the rear of the coach?
Any help appreciated.
belair@xtra.co.nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:58 AM   #2
Restorium

If I was totally confident in the diagnosis by the electrician, (is he competent?) I would disconnect the old wire and run a new one. Then it doesn't matter where the old one is.

It's surprising to me that the wire got 'broken' in the middle. Usually it's a problem on one end or the other. Was there some sort of construction going on and the wire was cut? Might be a clue to where the trouble is. If the motorhome wasn't ever cut into the wiring should stay intact.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
Deany41

I agree with Restorium. My AC stopped working on the road. I replaced the thermostat at first. There is a wire diagram in the AC cover of mine. Had to take extra wire and run a continuity check from the correct power wire in the AC to the power distribution panel fuse box where the AC power wire comes from. It failed. I simply chased a new wire to the nearest point that had continuity. The AC wire in mine had run through the furnace compartment so I checked continuity from the AC to that point and hooked into the AC power. This solved the problem. Trying to find where the factory chases wires is many times impossible since they run these wire harnesses at the factory hither and thither on the production line.
Deany41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:37 PM   #4
[email protected]

Thank you both for your suggestions. After much digging I found the AC wiringat the back of the refrigerator coming down from the roof. We have isolated the problem and replaced the faulty wiring
belair@xtra.co.nz is offline   Reply With Quote