Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-21-2016, 04:07 PM   #1
zippyphd

Default No roof A/C while on shore power!

Hi all,

Bought a used GS Tour Master 2007; Noticed a problem, not sure how to resolve.

While connected to shore power or on generator, the house lights grow 'dim' after about 24 hours, and the A/C quits running.

Fire up the diesel for 20 minutes, all is well again.

What's wrong?

Keith
zippyphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: No roof A/C while on shore power!

Are you getting any AC power into the coach? Sounds to me like you are running the lights off DC power or should I say your house batteries. There is a big fuse on mine right behind the inverter/charger, check to see if it is not blown. You might also have a bad converter.

What is happening is that the alternator through a bird is charging both the chassis batteries and the house batteries. Because it seems like your house batteries are not getting charged through the invertor/charger.

When you plug into shore power, does it show AC power coming into the coach on your panel?

Check your outlets inside the coach with a volt meter and see if you have 110 volts of AC power.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:13 PM   #3
zippyphd

Appreciate the quick reply!

Figured it out. The inverter is showing AC power, and reporting bulk/float charging. The problem is the CONVERTER switch was off!
Flipped the breaker, all is well!

Not sure which batteries were getting drained as it has three systems.
I THINK I need to replace the 4, 6V deep cycle.
I HAVE replaced the two 12 V that run the chassis.
I'm not sure about the two Optima Blue Top Gel batteries.

Wish I knew what run what..

Thanks!
Keith
zippyphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:50 PM   #4
Chuck v

Kieth,

The 4 golf cart sized 6 volt batteries under the windshield on my 2007 Tour Master are used to start the diesel generator and to power the AC inverter and certain appliances like the residential refrigerator when not connected to shore power. These batteries are charged through that same AC inverter when the coach is connected to shore power.

The "chassis" batteries are the two large 12 volt batteries that are used to start the rear diesel engine (mine is the Mercedes but yours may be a Cummins...) The chassis batteries are charged from the engine driven generator, and may not be charged from the shore power -- I added a float charger to mine just to keep them up during the time I am parked at my space.

The "house" batteries are the two deep cycle 12 volt batteries that are charged by the converter off the shore power and used to power all the 12 volt lighting throughout the coach, the ceiling fans, the water pump and perhaps the bedroom TV (if you have not yet replaced it with a full HD capable one like I did.) These are most likely the Gel batteries you describe on your coach... As you have discovered, they are also charged off the front diesel generator as well.

There are two transfer switches on this model of coach -- one at the main power feed to select between the diesel generator and the shore power. There is a second transfer switch that is downstream of this selection that switches those specific circuits (certain AC breakers...) that can be powered by the AC inverter, and switches between the shore power/diesel generator when either is available, and the output of the inverter (powered by those 4 golf cart batteries) when neither of those AC sources are available...

Lead acid batteries need maintenance and electrolyte level monitoring regularly, and good battery life for the kind of service you normally see in an RV can be as little as 5 years or so. What are the date codes on your present Batteries?

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:55 PM   #5
RayChez1

The four deep cycle 6 volt batteries are your house batteries. Charge them up real good, then get a hydrometer and check the gravity on them. The hydrometer will tell you if the batteries are good or bad. If it does not show them in the green they need to be replaced.

Now the two AGm batteries sealed must be the chassis batteries. They can also be checked with a load tester and volt meter. Now members in our Gulf Stream club that have TourMasters also have I believe it is one or two more batteries which run your residential refrigerator. They can also be checked with a load tester and volt meter.

If your converter was turned off, then it is possible that your batteries just need a good charge.

Good luck!
Ray
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote