Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-17-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
Nutravlr

Default coach chassis leans a bit to one side

Motorhome leans to passenger side. 35 ft with wardrobe slide and generator both on same side seems a weight imbalance side to side. Off plumb about 1.5 inches. A fix is available from GM, I hear, using a block rather than add air bag. I guess it simply raised the springs some, and that makes sense to me. Said to be a universal problem, by GM, with that chassis. Anyone done this or no one else cares? You of course level it with the jacks. I just do not like it driving that way. Does not impact the front but back distances from tire to fenders are different due to the weight distribution.
Nutravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
Frosty

I have the same lean (to the right) on my 34' Endura Super C. I had it checked at an RV repair shop and he said I could fix it if I wanted. I made it all the way up the ALCAN and didn't have any problems. However, I'm gonna have it looked at again this summer before we make any trips.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
Nutravlr

Default Leaning coach

I may have a little help for you. You can check. Motorhomes of Texas is great outfit. They checked and found from GMC this a problem for others and there is a fix, I think GS agreed. Anyway, they ordered the part but in going to work found that some rubber thingee in that system has a metal bar or rod that is integral to it and the rod was/is bent. They have ordered that part and believe it will fix the problem. If not, they will return to the GMC fix. Hope that helps. I bought with 33K miles, and found front brakes 25% left, so changing that. Do you tow, if so what and do you use brakes on toad, and what kind? Have great Christmas, and thanks.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:20 AM   #4
Frosty

I'm in Fairbanks now so I've gotta find a mechanic shop thatwill work on an RV. Thanks for the info on the bent rod, I'll inquire when I take it in. I don't tow right now but we have a Honda CRV and have been told that it performs very well as a toad; we'll see this summer. Happy trails.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
Nutravlr

Travis, I can explain better now what Motorhomes of Texas found and it may help you and the mechanic. On top of the rear axle is the leaf spring and on top of the leaf spring is a stack of three very dense rubber donuts of differing size thicknesses. A rod apparently goes down from the chassis thru the donuts to hold them and the chassis rides on the stack of donuts. One of my donuts had sort of collapsed and slipped to the side some thus lowering the distance from the chassis to the axle. Strange to me, the donut assembly seems what hold the chassis "up" off the axle, not the springs. I am sure the springs somehow do something at some times, but I do not see how. I have no GMC part number for you but think Motorhomes got these donut things from GM overnight for me. They also said Gulf Stream was very helpful, I think in finding these. IF you need me to find exactly what they got and where, let me know. You can easily crawl under and take a look, see if this is your issue. Travel mercies to you,
Mike
Old 01-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
Frosty

Thanks!!