Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #21

Default Re: VISA 19ERD Bent Axle

I took delivery of my VISA 19ERD (2013) last june and after 1,800 km, (+/- 1,300 miles), I have no issue with my tires yet. They both look's like new. They are Good Year Marathon radial tires. I'm leaving tomorrow to Cape Cod MA (from Montreal) for 2 weeks. I will keep you inform when i'll return of this +/- 1,000 km drive.

I like my TT even if I had to work quite a bit on it. I had to reseal completely all the joints under the TT. There was NO caulking at all on all joints (walls to floor, all around the spare tire plastic container, many holes in the floor with electric and water lines, around the wheel wells, the door step, etc.).

I also had to replace the tongue jack because of a all around crack in the weld (tube to base plate). There was no name stamped on the jack so I think it was a cheap ''made in China'' copy.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #22
joe clark

I also had tire ware on my Visa and was told it was because I had over loaded it. But I had the trailer weiht by my dealer and it weght was ok so I paid to have the axle replaced as it was out of its one year warrenty, even though I had gone to the dealer with the problem with in the one year wrrenty period. I also had a blow out on a trip to Florida and Lippert would do nothing to help with the cost. Keep in mind the axle are not always bent they were installed correctly but were manufatured with problems that is my understanding of the problem.
joe clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #23
mesaboy

We bought a Visa 19ERD this summer. Brand new. We put about 2000 miles on it when I noticed very abnormal wear on the passenger side tire, both inside and outside. The drivers side was good. We made the 600 mile trip home and when we got home I noticed abnormal inside wear on the drivers side tire. We contacted the dealer and they told us to bring it in. I did, and when I got there they told me they were going to take pictures of the tires and axle and send it in to Lippert. I asked if their own repair people could look at the trailer and got the same response...pics and send them off to Lippert. After seeing all the reports regarding axles and tires and the 19ERD I am beginning to think we made a big mistake buying this trailer. Too bad....we like the trailer but we hate trouble.
mesaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #24

I'm back from my camping trip to Cape Cod MA and add another 700 miles to my 2013 VISA 19ERD (Lippert 3,500 pounds axle). So that's make +/- 2,000 miles on the road since I baught the TT in june and I have absolutely no evidence of abnormal tire wear on the trailer. I don't even see any wear on the tires. As I mentionned previously, the original tires (bias ply) where remove and replace (and balance) by two radial Good Year Marathon tires. It was part of the package of my TT dealer.

That's remind me my previous TT (Palomino 2003) that was equipped with DURO bias ply tires and AL-KO torsion axles (rubber ride) and I did experience slight abnormal wear inside the front left tire. I kept the tires for 9 years and rotate them once in while. I did replace the DURO with Good Year Marathon the last year and went from Montreal to Florida and back last spring for a total of more than 5,000 miles. I was surprise (and happy) to see that the 4 tires had no sign of wear (or abnormal wear) on my return home.

So, for what it's worth, my conclusion to eleminate the problem would be to use modern technology tires and not stone age technology (bias ply) tires like the original tires that come with the TT, especially with torsion (rubber ride) axles. I can't tell for leaf spring suspension.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #25
Midnightpromises

We are considering buying a Visa 23series with the dual axles. has anyone heard of issues like this with that set up?

Thanks
Old 11-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #26
RinconVTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightpromises
We are considering buying a Visa 23series with the dual axles. has anyone heard of issues like this with that set up?

Thanks

These issues do not exsist on the dual axle versions, and this was one reason why I bought the 23 BHD.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #27
philabele

Default VISA 23RBK Bent Axle

We discovered that bent axle problem is not limited to the single axle Visa's. After approximately 5000 miles, our 2011 23RBK had abnormal wear on the right side rear axle tire. It was near bald from the center to the inside edge of the tire. The other three tires all exhibited normal wear (original "Trail America" branded tires), showing better than two-thirds tread-life remaining. The Dealer diagnosed the problem as a bent axle, and submitted the issue to Gulfstream for resolution under a warranty claim. Gulfstream denied the claim, stating that the bent axle resulted from normal use, coming into contact with something that caused the bend. We are quite certain that no impact severe enough to cause this happened, but we are unable to prove this contention. A new axle is now ordered and will be installed by the selling Dealer. After reading all the posts on this issue, it is obvious that Lippert has a quality control problem that they appear unwilling to own up to. My concern is the the new axle will have the same built-in camber issue (bent) and we won't know that until the tire wears out.
philabele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #28
philabele

A follow up to our bent axle issue. We had both axles on the 23RBK checked for alignment. One proved to be incorrect, and the other was okay. The "bent" axle was replaced under extended warranty. After replacement, we took the Visa to a frame shop and had the axles checked for camber. This is not done on an alignment check, and is a critical measure to predict inside edge / outside edge tire wear. The camber measurement indicated the new axle was okay, but the other existing axle was out of specification. The frame shop bent the axle such that it was within specification. They told me they get several of these a year on travel trailers / 5th Wheels.

Clearly, Lippert manufacturing has problems in their manufacturing and quality control processes. Building an axle with incorrect camber seems to be an unacceptable error for any reputable manufacturer. Apparently Lippert has no inspection process to validate correct camber, since so many bad axles have been found on trailers. And Gulfstream must bear some of the blame here as well. Given that proper alignment and camber is so critical to safe towing and handling, not to mention fuel consumption, there should be a quality check at final assembly to assure alignment and camber are within specification. I would venture that this is not done. Hopefully, the learning curve has sunk in, and these great Visa trailers will be rid of one of their most irksome problems.
philabele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #29
RinconVTR

As you found, the manufacture of the axle has quality issues. I highly doubt one of them was bent during use like the single axles have been. The single axles are run right at their rated limits, while the duals are no where near. They should be running higher rated single axles (that are properly aligned of course).

Gulfstream really screwed up by not issuing a recall and admitting a problem, because now when these trailers are discussed in forums, everyone thinks they are an expert and says to stay away from the Visa line. Gulfstreams ego was too big and now they're getting bit. Its really too bad, they have a very good line of ultra light travel trailers.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #30
Midnightpromises

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinconVTR
As you found, the manufacture of the axle has quality issues. I highly doubt one of them was bent during use like the single axles have been. The single axles are run right at their rated limits, while the duals are no where near. They should be running higher rated single axles (that are properly aligned of course).

Gulfstream really screwed up by not issuing a recall and admitting a problem, because now when these trailers are discussed in forums, everyone thinks they are an expert and says to stay away from the Visa line. Gulfstreams ego was too big and now they're getting bit. Its really too bad, they have a very good line of ultra light travel trailers.
All that being said, have you had enough time to notice any issues with your trailer?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #31
RinconVTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightpromises
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinconVTR

All that being said, have you had enough time to notice any issues with your trailer?

Yes and no. We put on around 1400 miles in our first year and at the end of the season all 4 tires were replaced under warranty due to severe dry rot and cracking. I inspected all 4 and all looked practically new, regarding tread depth and wear.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #32
UL2FLY

I am interested in purchasing a Visa 19ERD but am concerned about axle issues. I can't seem to get any real weight numbers. The inside of the cabinet says UVW 2812lbs, but the sales person says thats wrong it should be UVW 3200lbs. This is confusing part, with the GVWR 3830lbs and with their error in the UVW that only leaves 630lbs cargo. With propane & 1 week worth of camping needs and you are at or over max.

This sound right to you?

Yesterday I went to have a look and talking to the salesman, he says all the new 2014 single axle Visa's will have leaf spring axles & will have a name change to Vista Cruiser. He says that they are doing this to upgrade the axles to 4000# vs the torsen 3500#. This does make me feel better...but is this true?

Thanks
UL2FLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #33
tinapetel

The specs for the new "Vista Cruiser" on Gulfstream's website still show a 3,500 LB. TORSION SINGLE AXLE. see below http://gulfstreamrvtrailers.com/visa/features.php
VISTA CRUISER - FEATURES
CONSTRUCTION
ONE-PIECE UNI-ARCH FIBERGLASS ROOF
HIGH-GLOSS FIBERGLASS EXTERIOR
VACUUM BONDED LAMINATED WALLS
WELDED SIX-SIDED ALUMINUM CAGE
82" INTERIOR HEADROOM
PREWIRED FOR ROOF AIR CONDITIONER
MONITOR PANEL FOR KEY SYSTEMS
LOW CENTER OF GRAVITY
LIGHTWEIGHT POWDER-COATED STEEL CHASSIS
LAMINATED FLOOR WITH LIGHTWEIGHT SUBSTRATES
COMPOSITE-BUILT LIGHTWEIGHT SIDEWALLS
3,500 LB. TORSION SINGLE AXLE W/ELECTRIC BRAKES (17 FT. AND 19 FT. MODELS)
TANDEM AXLES W/EQUI-FLEX AND ELECTRIC BRAKES (23 FT. MODELS)
14" TIRES WITH ALUMINUM WHEELS
Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #34
RinconVTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by UL2FLY
I am interested in purchasing a Visa 19ERD but am concerned about axle issues. I can't seem to get any real weight numbers. The inside of the cabinet says UVW 2812lbs, but the sales person says thats wrong it should be UVW 3200lbs. This is confusing part, with the GVWR 3830lbs and with their error in the UVW that only leaves 630lbs cargo. With propane & 1 week worth of camping needs and you are at or over max.

This sound right to you?

Yesterday I went to have a look and talking to the salesman, he says all the new 2014 single axle Visa's will have leaf spring axles & will have a name change to Vista Cruiser. He says that they are doing this to upgrade the axles to 4000# vs the torsen 3500#. This does make me feel better...but is this true?

Thanks
Hard to speculate. What I would do is:

1. When at the dealer, walk into a 19 footer and read the data plate. They are the most accurate weight you can find without weighing it yourself. And FYI this includes everything but water, such propane and battery. I weighed mine the same day I bought it and the plate was spot on within a few pounds.

2. Search this forum for anyone who actually weighed their loaded 19 footer.

To be honest, I stayed away from the 19 foot with single axle because weights didn't add up to me either. Plus, if you run a WDH, you add even more weight on the trailer axle. So I just don't understand why Gulfstream is shooting themselves in the foot with the single axles poor quality and low weight rating. Do they think people don't research this stuff???

I am also beginning to wonder if Gulfstream is even the OEM. Who are these guys with the EXACT same trailer, with different layouts???
http://www.goevergreenrv.com/page.php?page_id=169
Old 01-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #35

Ok, now, the VISA TT are called VISTA Cruiser TT.

I would not be surprise if Gulfstream did have an issue with VISA credit card company for the use of the ''VISA'' brand name (probably regist. brand name).

They look to me to be the exact same TT with a modified name.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:46 AM   #36
heckufaguy

We had started paperwork on a Visa before I realized the cargo capacity. Since our TV will handle more, saw no reason to stick with the Visa and it's restrictive cargo capacity.
I don't load anything up past 80% of capacity, it just tends to wear things out faster at 'limits'.
After finding this thread I'm even more happy we avoided it. Hope you all manage to get your fixes done.
heckufaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #37
haber

I've really been liking the layout of the Vista Cruiser 19RSD. The bunk beds are perfect for our girl and boy who don't want to sleep in the same bed. There are so few ultra lightweight trailers with bunks. However, of course the axel problems with the Visa have me concerned. I found the following article on the differences between the Visa and Vista Cruiser.

http://smalltrailerenthusiast.com/2013/ ... iler-name/

"Included among the more than 25 changes are new graphics, increased exterior storage space, a radial tire option, an electric tongue jack option, a rear bumper-mounted grill option, larger axles on the 17′ and 19′ floor plans, and a larger exterior storage door."

Sounds like they've solved the problem, except as was pointed out upthread, the Gulf Stream website itself still listed a 3500 lb axel on their website.

Anybody checked out a 2014 model to confirm which is correct?
haber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #38
sam75

Another approach to this problem is to follow Phil Abele's advice (on another forum) and take your Visa to a automotive frame shop and have the camber and toe-in/out checked and aligned if necessary - they do it by bending it.
sam75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #39

I just return from an 8 weeks trip (10,000 km) with our 2013 VISA 19ERD ( Montreal to Florida and Louisiana and back). I have no abnormal wear on both of my tires.

So maybe I'm lucky and have a good axle (Lippert, 3,500 lbs) or it's my Good Year Marathon radial tires instead of the OEM bias ply and stoneage tires that makes the difference.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:41 AM   #40
cliff2444

I read this thread going back a couple years before I purchased my 2013 Visa ERD in May of 2012. I spoke with the Gulf Stream rep at our local RV Show and he assured me that they have resolves the issue with bent axles. However, after less than 10,000 miles, I was lucky enough to catch the excessive tire wear before I had a blow out. I was lucky to find a nearby tire shop, in the middle of South Dakota, to install 2 new tires. Upon my return home I started making inquiries about the axle and tires. I was told my my dealer to have it aligned and that the axle was probably not bent or broken. I took it first to a trailer/truck alignment center and was told that they can't align it because it had a torsion axle. When I told my dealer that I wanted a new axle, he said to take it to an alignment center he works with and that they do align torsion axles. After talking to the shop owner, I was comfortable that they knew what they were doing and had them work on it. I picked it up yesterday. They said they aligned it and it should be good for a couple years. They do recommend alignment every couple years or when excessive tire wear is seen. I also had them provide a 4" lift for my unit. I had dragged the back end several times due to the lack of clearance. It is nice to step in and out of the trailer, but the low clearance caused problems. I see that the new model (Vista Cruiser) has a beefed up axle and is lifted 4". I am going to seek a reimbursement from Gulf Stream for my tires and alignment expenses, but I'm not going to hold my breath for success. The alignment center told me that trailers are notoriously bad at properly aligning wheels after manufacture and that some are very off. The alignment was about $200 and the lift was $600.
cliff2444 is offline   Reply With Quote