Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-22-2007, 08:39 AM   #1
2007 Kingsport

Default BOTTOM BOLTS?!?!?

Hello all. I am hoping that someone will be able to answer the below question for me.
I bought a 2007 Kingsport 235 BH last summer and have been using it a lot recently. Yesterday, I was stowing my folding chairs under the unit to keep them out of the rain and wind, and I noticed several bolts protruding through the outer frame edge that have NO NUTS ON THEM!
I asked a buddy of mine at the campground, and he suggested that they may have been used to align the walls with the floor during construction and therefore are not structural.
I called the dealer this morning, and they suggested that I bring it back to them for a look, but that is a trip of almost 500 miles. I am planning on trying to call GS later today, but am not expecting a response from them (I have read several other posts about their lack of customer service).
Does anyone here know for sure if the bolts at only used for alignment during construction?
What would be the potential problem with me putting some washers and nuts on them? The bolts are about 3/4" (I didn't measure them, but they are about as big around as my thumb) and have some rust on them. I haven't counted the number, but there were at least three near the door and steps that I could readily see. It was raining and about 34 degrees yesterday, and I didn't feel like crawling through the mud.
Your thoughts?
Old 01-22-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

I am not familar with the GS trailers, BUT I would put nuts and washers on them if it made me feel better. After all it is your coach, do with it what you want, that is what I have always done with any of our RV's.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
CampWinican

I have the same bolts on my trailer. I do not know what size they are, but I would measure them, get some new bolts and lock washers and secure them. I have made a habit of checking mine periodically. When I checked them the first time many were loose. I would assume yours were even more loose and you lost some bolts. I do not know for sure the purpose of the bolts other than securing the walls to the floor. It doesn't make sense that they would be purely be for alignment. Why add the cost of threaded studs, bolts, and washers if they are only for alignment?
CampWinican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:51 AM   #4
2007 Kingsport

Well, when I got home last night, I crawled around the trailer and it turns out that there are 14 bolts (seven on each side) and they are all missing nuts and washers. I am definitely going to get some washers and bolts and put them on.
No answer from GS on this issue as yet, but I just let them know yesterday.
I can't believe that if these bolts were critical, that the factory would allow the trailer out the door without double checking the torque or using some form of thread locking compound.
At any rate, I will talk to the dealer again today and see if they can shed some more light on the matter.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:17 AM   #5
2007 Kingsport

Just got off the phone with Gulfstream and my suspicions were correct.

The bolts are used to attach the walls to the frame of the trailer. I told him that knowing that, I don't feel safe towing the unit to a dealer for repairs with all 14 bolts missing their nuts and washers and they agreed.

The service person that I spoke with is checking to see if GS will contract with a local mobile RV repair service to replace the missing nuts. I have given them the mobile repair service contact information and am waiting for further guidance.

I will post more information as I have it. But so far, this issue looks like it is being resolved nicely.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
Maggie

GulfStream isn't the only one who forgets to put nuts on bolts.
Mt daughter has a Coachman 5th wheel. While taking it to the
storage lot this fall on half of the drivers side fell off. Coachman
won't even to talk to her.
maggie
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
Maggie

Gulf Stream isn't the only company that forgets to put nuts on side wall bolts. My daughter has a Coachman 5th wheel. Last fall while taking
it to a storage lot one half of the drivers side wall fell off. When she contacted Coachman it was like talking to deaf ears.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:19 AM   #8
2007 Kingsport

Got an email from Gulfstream this morning and they have agreed to pay for a local RV repairman to come to my campsite and make the warranty repairs. I contacted the repairman and left a message for him to call me back to schedule a time. I will let you know how it all goes.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:36 PM   #9
coolchas11

Good move on Gulf Stream's part.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:34 AM   #10
2007 Kingsport

Got the work done yesterday and am trying to get back in touch with GS today to get them to reimburse my outlay to get the work done.

I have already emailed GS with the total charges and have asked them what they want from me now to reimburse me (forms, faxes, etc). I will let you all know how this part goes as this is the only part that I can foresee being a total pain.

I used a local, mobile, RV Repair service that came highly recommended by a close friend of mine and he did an outstanding job.

He installed the missing washers and nuts and verified that the walls hadn't shifted or racked. He said that everything looked good and even found a small (1/4") hole on the edge of the roof rubber that he showed me how to repair myself.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:44 AM   #11
2007 Kingsport

Got the check from GS in the mail yesterday.
I must say that after reading several of the other posts concerning GS and warranty work that I was figuring that I would get the run around.
My experience was exactly the opposite. The folks at GS that I spoke and worked with to resolve this issue were very courteous, professional, and returned emails and calls quickly. I am hoping that I don't need to go through this again though and just enjoy my travel trailer.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:56 PM   #12
Timothy

Wow, thats great! Glad everything worked out for you and that Gulf Stream stepped up and took care of things......Tim
Old 03-01-2007, 07:05 AM   #13
Coolbreeze

No kidding and it is nice to hear some good stories. I still don't have any repairs to do yet so I'm crossing my fingers that I have similar contacts with Gulfstream.

Mike C