Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #1
Liv2RidMIke

Default 04 Gluf Stream Slideout Slowing..needs a push

my slide out needs a push/pull to get it back in. THis has been going on for a couple years but getting worse, now it needs a pull/push to get it to keep moving at all, before it was just to get it out of the full extension position. NOt sure if it is a slide or pump issue. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Liv2RidMIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:37 AM   #2
Sudsy

Default Where is it dragging

Well I don't think it's a pump problem. Check the fluid level with the slide in the recommended position. (mine says to have jacks up and all rooms in) My pump is easy to get to and I hope yours is too. Look around the slide when it's open and look for significant scuffing. Some installations have rollers that have been known to fail. Leaves and sticks and other debris an get snaggled (that's my new word)up in the top end even if you have a slide topper.. My rooms have square tubes underneath that need to be lubricated. Are your jacks using the same pump?

Sudsy
Old 11-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #3
gwirth

You say your coach is a 2004, if it is a G7 or Atrium, I have the same problem. Just with the curbside bedroom slide. Basically the slide was build poorly balanced which causes a lot of the problem. The curbside slides are electric. I ave replaced the motor and that didn’t help. Best thing to do, is to lube the main screw and the side rollers. Also, make sure you batteries are fully charged. I always extend/retract my slides while connected to shore power or with the generator running. I seldom need to push.
gwirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:33 AM   #4
Frutza

Well, tell us what kind of coach, is it the hydraulic slide or electric?
Check the voltage at the relay for the slide, to make sure your not losing voltage.
Next, check your rollers and or slides or look for binding.
On my rear bedroom slide the plastic covering was coming apart, I had seen another coach with that problem and the wood was coming apart, so I panned mine with sheet metal then put strips of stainless for the rollers to ride on, no drag now, she flies in and out
Old 11-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
Liv2RidMIke

Thanks everyone for the replies. I should have mentioned i have the Endura with dual slide outs and jacks. The large driver side slide out is the issue. I should have checked the jacks to see if they operate properly too, but the last time i did use them they seemed fine, even lifted the front wheels off the ground! Yes the pump is hydraulic and the reservoir is full. I never tried it with the jacks down but i have tried it on flat ground and its still really slow to get started and needs a pull to kinda bump start it, once its started it use to come in by itself, just slow, now it needs a pull the whole way thru. I will look under neath to see if thier is any significant scuffing. i once had a mobile RV repair guy come and look at it, he felt the step up from full extension was to great and that why it need a bump (actually pull) to get it going. I could have lived with a pull just to get it going but now it's really slow and wont move with out a significant effort from 2 people pulling it. I often travel with jsut kids and feel like sooner or later its going to get stuck out and i have yet to find a manual crank to get it in. Thanks again everyone!
Old 11-18-2018, 07:10 PM   #6
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv2RidMIke View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. I should have mentioned i have the Endura with dual slide outs and jacks. The large driver side slide out is the issue. I should have checked the jacks to see if they operate properly too, but the last time i did use them they seemed fine, even lifted the front wheels off the ground! Yes the pump is hydraulic and the reservoir is full. I never tried it with the jacks down but i have tried it on flat ground and its still really slow to get started and needs a pull to kinda bump start it, once its started it use to come in by itself, just slow, now it needs a pull the whole way thru. I will look under neath to see if thier is any significant scuffing. i once had a mobile RV repair guy come and look at it, he felt the step up from full extension was to great and that why it need a bump (actually pull) to get it going. I could have lived with a pull just to get it going but now it's really slow and wont move with out a significant effort from 2 people pulling it. I often travel with jsut kids and feel like sooner or later its going to get stuck out and i have yet to find a manual crank to get it in. Thanks again everyone!

If it's like mine you won't find a "crank". It is hydraulic. I have a manual just for my hydraulic pump and solenoid valve system. It contains instructions to find the correct valve for the room/jack you are trying to control. You use a pump handle and manually pump the room in. You need to read the manual.

Sudsy
Old 11-18-2018, 07:24 PM   #7
Liv2RidMIke

Thanks Sudsy, i bought mine used and didnt come with a manual and everything near the pump assembly is so rusted i cant even get a manufacturer name or model off it.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #8
Swiss Man

I had the same problem and replaced the hydraulic cylinders. I let them remodeling for $ 100.00 each. There is a membrane in the cylinder which getting hard during the years. The oil flows than in between the membrane and the cylinder and the slyde out will block and you have to help with a manual push.
Swiss Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:10 AM   #9
Liv2RidMIke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Man View Post
I had the same problem and replaced the hydraulic cylinders. I let them remodeling for $ 100.00 each. There is a membrane in the cylinder which getting hard during the years. The oil flows than in between the membrane and the cylinder and the slyde out will block and you have to help with a manual push.
hey Swiss man, thanks for the reply! could u please let me know what model RV u have and if u know, what make model hydraulic cylinder did u get?
Old 11-19-2018, 08:24 AM   #10
Swiss Man

Hi Mike. I own the 2005 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser. 2 slide out passenger side and 2 slide out driver side. Only the two front slide outs in front (L&R) are hydraulic. Each slide are supported by 2 cylinders. I was dismounting the cylinders, bring them to the hydraulic shop. After 2 days Ill get it back, complete revised. Unfortunately I can not provide you with the size and length of the cylinders. The first owner has also once replaced them (after market without a identification plate. Seems to be a common problem on those rigs. Advice: If you revise one side, make both cylinders at the same time. Regards, Patrick
Swiss Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic slide, slide, slideout, slow, stuck