Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
charby

Default Hitch Height on Visa 19

Closed
Old 08-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
CaptRon

Default Re: Hitch Height on Visa 19

Hitch height is not the important measurement. What's important is how the trailer sits when coupled to the TV or more importantly how does it tow? Slightly bow down is better than any amount of bow up but you should try for level.

My Toyota Van required a 2inch step up tow bar (raised the deck where the ball sits 2") after I installed air bags in the rear springs. My Trailblazer required a 5.5" drop tow bar without the WDH and no air bags but could have used a 4" drop bar since the trailer was noticeably bow down. My current set up with an E2 WDH is a 1.5" drop tow bar and the TV front fender well height measures exactly the same coupled as it does unhitched and the trailer looks quite level although a spirit level shows it to be very slightly bow down. This is after I installed a 3 inch lift kit under the trailer.

I guess the answer is ... it depends. It depends on how much the weight of stuff inside the TV plus the tongue weight sinks the rear of the TV or raises the front of the TV. I would go by how it tows. By the way it helps to have friends that will let you borrow various tow bars to try during your experiments.

I would bet that the Jeep will benefit from a WDH and/or a sway bar of some type. Some WDH systems (like the E2) also serve to mitigate sway.
CaptRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #3

On my 19 ERD, the top of the coupler is 15-3/4'' of the ground. I did baught a new shank with a longer droop. With the longer shank, the top of the ball is at 16-1/2'' of the ground. With the wdh perfectly tuned, everything is level and the ride very stable with a standard friction anti-sway bar.

I would not tow my TT without a weight distribution hitch. Those one axle TT are quite heavy on the tongue (I would say around 600- 650 pounds when loaded) even with no water in the fresh water tank under the bed.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
charby

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRon
Hitch height is not the important measurement. What's important is how the trailer sits when coupled to the TV or more importantly how does it tow? Slightly bow down is better than any amount of bow up but you should try for level.

My Toyota Van required a 2inch step up tow bar (raised the deck where the ball sits 2") after I installed air bags in the rear springs. My Trailblazer required a 5.5" drop tow bar without the WDH and no air bags but could have used a 4" drop bar since the trailer was noticeably bow down. My current set up with an E2 WDH is a 1.5" drop tow bar and the TV front fender well height measures exactly the same coupled as it does unhitched and the trailer looks quite level although a spirit level shows it to be very slightly bow down. This is after I installed a 3 inch lift kit under the trailer.

I guess the answer is ... it depends. It depends on how much the weight of stuff inside the TV plus the tongue weight sinks the rear of the TV or raises the front of the TV. I would go by how it tows. By the way it helps to have friends that will let you borrow various tow bars to try during your experiments.

I would bet that the Jeep will benefit from a WDH and/or a sway bar of some type. Some WDH systems (like the E2) also serve to mitigate sway.
I am still trying to get this Visa trailer set up properly, as I do not have anywhere level to experiment with heights. I towed this weekend and still notice slight bow up when at mall parking lot, which would have be great if I had a tape measure. I am at the lowest holes on the current shank and will require a longer one for more drop. Since we both have the same 3" lift setup, do you recall the measurement from ground to the trailer coupler? I will require this dimension for selecting the proper shank. Please indicate if it is the bottom or top of coupler.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
CaptRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by charby
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRon

I am still trying to get this Visa trailer set up properly, as I do not have anywhere level to experiment with heights. I towed this weekend and still notice slight bow up when at mall parking lot, which would have be great if I had a tape measure. I am at the lowest holes on the current shank and will require a longer one for more drop. Since we both have the same 3" lift setup, do you recall the measurement from ground to the trailer coupler? I will require this dimension for selecting the proper shank. Please indicate if it is the bottom or top of coupler.
My 19 ERD has a black trim strip (measures maybe 1/2" wide) that runs the length of the trailer. With the trim strip level and 20" off the ground (front and rear the same 20" - measured from ground to bottom of trim strip), the trailer coupler measures 18" from the ground to the top of the coupler. Approximately
CaptRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
charby

My 19 ERD has a black trim strip (measures maybe 1/2" wide) that runs the length of the trailer. With the trim strip level and 20" off the ground (front and rear the same 20" - measured from ground to bottom of trim strip), the trailer coupler measures 18" from the ground to the top of the coupler. Approximately[/quote]

Thanks,t hat is exactly what I was looking for. I am currently 20" at top of ball, which means I do need another shank that is 1 1/2"- 2" more drop. I will get through the winter better now
Old 06-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
ShabyBaby

Great post sure helped me when trying to understand why after my first pull with my Visa 19RSD why the WDH was not really taking the load off the truck . I just bought it and the RV dealer did the "Set Up" - three things wrong the ball hight was at 22" the angle of the hitch head was flat not slightly angled down , and lastly the plastic tube that is mounted at the front under the LP Tanks was installed when the WDH brackets are supposed to be mounted at 32" for the E2 Hitch I bought. The fix I bought a 12" drop down shank with a 3" drop . Now my ball sits bang on at 18" when the truck is loaded with all our gear and kids.... Going to reattach the hitch soon and report back but i think the WDH will work the way it was meant to now after I had it properly adjusted.
ShabyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote