Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-19-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
Beaufort NC

Default Possible trade-in

Well, after a year and 13000 or so miles on our 8356 (Workhorse), we went to Florida last week and came back with major electrical problems. The jacks don't work, all of the marker lights and the tail lights are out (brake lights are functional), the road side slide is not working, the house batteries are draining in just a few hours, and the generator starts, but stops running after a couple of minutes (three flashes, needs service).
This on a coach which has been giving us electrical problems from the beginning.
Our dealer has a Quattro 8710 (four slides), 40 feet with a Mercedes diesel. He seems prepared to make us a deal that might convince me that I should make the trade.
So here are the questions: How does the Mercedes perform (I understand that it has a lot of torque and gets better gas mileage... what about service)? How does the Freightliner chassis compare to the Workhorse (the dealer claims that folks say there's less sway, and that Workhorse chassis have typically experienced a lot more problems). Thirdly, What kind of experience has the group had with the Quattro models?
After the problems with the electrical system I've had with the 8356, I'm almost reluctant to go with another GS coach, but I still think that you get a lot of coach for the money,
Workhorse chassis
Cummins 330 ISC
Toad: 2015 Jeep GC Summit
Beaufort NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:04 PM   #2
coolchas11

We didn't have any problems with the Workhorse in our Sun Voyager. But I must say the current Freightliner chassis has eliminated any sway. It's a world of difference. Too soon to speak of service. Charlie
Old 06-21-2007, 05:54 PM   #3
Journey

I very pleased with the Freightliner Service so far. Our 2007 SunVoyager FRED, had a brake light warning on the test drive. The dealer added some brake fluid and it went away. But, on the trip home to Florida, I had to add more brake fluid as the warning light appeared again. Two hundred miles later it appeared again. Took it to a local Freightliner center and they found the problem right away. You guessed it ... a brake fluid leak. Actually, there were 2 leaks from couplings. It's now about 1200 miles later and no problems, no leaks. I like the way the coach handles. It's not like a Diesel pusher I'm sure, but the suspension is firm and no sway when passing or being passed by 18 wheelers at 80 mph.
Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
by8s

Our Friendship Quattro rides and handles well. We don't have the Mercedes engine, but have read some good things about them. The factory makes some boo-boos on some units and on ours the refrigerator drain hose end was pinched off and the previous owner evidently was oblivious to it. I found it and fixed it, but the floor in front of the refrigerator was damaged and I am now in the process of replacing a section of floor and tile. Not fun for a full timer. The only problem I've had with the chassis so far is an intermittent headlight problem, probably a ground problem. The real down side is that some Freightliner dealers don't want to work on motor homes. I was a victim of one of the worst ones. However, in your part of the country, I have heard better reports than out here. The factory shop in South Carolina is excellent. There is a Freightliner Chassis Owners Club and they have a website: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/FCOC with some good information. All other problems have been typical of any motor home.
Good Luck.
Bob
by8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:59 PM   #5
GStream40
Site Team

You have given some great information about Freightliner.
Our 2004 Yellowstone Country Club 8408YSB Quattro has been a great coach and no problems with the chassis. We have the C7 CAT and after CAT installed new injectors, it has been great with good fuel mileage, about 8mph at the present time.

We did have a leak on the kitchen slide, but it was taken care of after I found out what/were it was leaking.

This is our second GS coach and when/if we buy another it will be a Gulf Stream if they have the floor plan that we want.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote