Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-28-2018, 10:34 AM   #1
Rhodesia

Default Clear coating flaking off how to repair

I have a 2007 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager 37 foot gas coach and I need to control the clear coat that is flaking off, it is not pealing when you wash the coach I do know that but it is flaking off and I'm starting to have dull spots. I see to many you tube videos on how to fix this your self from fellow RV'ers but I'm looking for anyone who has ever dealt with this and how they ended up fixing this issue. I took it to a auto repair detaining shop and don't even ask what they would charge, but they recommended to re-clear coat the whole motorhome
Rhodesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
Restorium

It's the same as a car. Once the clear has let loose you have to re-clear it. And that is a BIG job on that huge rig. Like doing half a dozen cars plus all that climbing around. I don't even like painting a suburban let alone a huge coach.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:17 AM   #3
dmam

Default Same problem... solved

Hi, we had the same on our Yellowstone 2007 (B+). The flaking was on the front, top of the cabin. Since it was limited to that area, we asked the RV dealer how much it would cost to repair only that area : estimate was 4300CAD$ !!! We went to a truck repair & paint shop... he did the job for 1000CAD$! It took 3 days and we are very satisfied. If you can limit some areas instead of doing the full RV....

We were told that when it started, we could have remove the flakes carefully and then use "Transparent Car Protective Film Vinyl Wraps Universal Clear 3M" over the area. Depending on the area, some repair shop can have them made to fit the shape of the vehicule. This might not be the perfect correction, but it would stop the falking...

dmam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8196_resize.JPG (72.7 KB, 5 views)
dmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
Rhodesia

Thank you I will look into that, all it is doing is flaking you are not able to peel it so I need to try to get a handle on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmam View Post
Hi, we had the same on our Yellowstone 2007 (B+). The flaking was on the front, top of the cabin. Since it was limited to that area, we asked the RV dealer how much it would cost to repair only that area : estimate was 4300CAD$ !!! We went to a truck repair & paint shop... he did the job for 1000CAD$! It took 3 days and we are very satisfied. If you can limit some areas instead of doing the full RV....

We were told that when it started, we could have remove the flakes carefully and then use "Transparent Car Protective Film Vinyl Wraps Universal Clear 3M" over the area. Depending on the area, some repair shop can have them made to fit the shape of the vehicule. This might not be the perfect correction, but it would stop the falking...

dmam
Rhodesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #5
dmam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodesia View Post
Thank you I will look into that, all it is doing is flaking you are not able to peel it so I need to try to get a handle on it.
Hi, just to specify that the repair shop did not peel the clear coat... they sanded and repainted the complete top of the cabin, stoping at the other color.
As for removing only the flakes, I meant the loose flakes, so the water (or other) stops going under the clear coat, and then, put the vynil tape. Again, it is not perfect, but if you can put another decal vinyl sticker over it, it might be better...

Good luck,
dmam
dmam is offline   Reply With Quote