Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-04-2005, 04:11 AM   #1
RV Wizard

Default 2000 Scenic Cruiser

We bought our 39' Scenic Cruiser almost 4 years ago to go full time in. http://phpimage.com/images/RVWizard/mikeamyshome.jpg Thought I would introduce ourselves and even help out if I can with other GS owners. I am an RVSA certified master RV technician and experienced in the industry for a little over 11 years. I was self employed for most of my life but in the last 2 years have been a service manager for a couple dealerships.
We have had very good luck with our coach as I think Gulf Stream put extra effort into the quality of construction as well as the Tour Master package in this Mellinium edition. We have the white laminate interior with carved mirrors on LR passenger side cabinets and bathroom. What I think is funny is the Jaccuzi tub , needs lots of water but only have a 10 gallon water heater . Tried it when we first bought it to be sure it worked but haven't since.
I plan to either bump up the engine hp to about 400 with 1200# of torgue and add a bedroom slide or two and keep it or in a few years trade it in.
My lead service advisor and I are going to the plant on the 15th to set up the structure for Gulf Stream to use our dealership as a regional training facility for the southeastern US. This will be the first time I will have been to the factory and am almost looking forward to it.
If I can be of any help with technical insight on general issues I will try to help when I get the time to do so. I unfortunately work 60-80 hours a week at the dealership and only get on line after 9pm and before 6am via cell phone (free minutes).
Good luck to all and take care.[/url]
iRV2.com -Gulf Stream Owners Forum Leader
2000 Scenic Cruiser
99 Chevy Silverado 4 X 4 Toad
2006 Saturn Vue AWD Toad
NASCAR #3 & #8
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:46 PM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

Mike,
Good to see ya here. I was hoping that you would come over from IRV2 and provide your experience to us Gulf Stream owners.

I have toured the GS factory on three different occasions and find it very interesting each time. I am sure you will really like it. Be sure to see the lamination area where the sidewalls are made. This might help in your decision about adding a slide in your coach.

Another must see area is the state-of-the-art paint shop that is owned by GS and operated by Mike's Custom Painting. Mike's turns out some beautiful paint jobs.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:33 AM   #3
CampWinican

Great to have you aboard and to know that you are available for our tech questions. Don't overwork yourself!
CampWinican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 04:09 AM   #4
RV Wizard

Thank you both for the welcome and I will check in when the chance arises. Ron, THank you for the tip on the lamination shop and paint shop. I am not sure if we will actually get a tour but maybe if I ask for those specific area I can get by there. I am not sure this southern boy has warm enough clothing for a trip up there this time of year ! Ya'll take care and be safe.
2000 Scenic Cruiser
2006 Saturn Vue AWD Toad
NASCAR #3 & #8
Old 12-06-2005, 08:26 AM   #5
GStream40
Site Team

Mike,

Yep, One thing you will definately need will be warm clothing and a heavy coat. It was 6 degrees here at home in Ohio this morning and Indiana temperatures are near the same as Ohio.

GS gives factory tours daily I believe at 10am of Plant 58 where the class A gas and diesel pushers are made. Of course I hear that dealers get a much better tour. The first time we toured the plant we went on the public tour and the other two times we were with the Gulf Streamers.

Can't wait until we head to Florida next month, maybe I will thaw out then.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:45 PM   #6
gsadmin

Glad to have you onboard RV Wizard.

Just a curiosity, how do you come down on the issue of electrical and plumbing schematics being made available to owners of GS coaches the way Winnebago and others do? Do you have access to what you would consider is adequate documentation in the dealership (i.e. up to date and by-model schematics of the systems)?
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:20 AM   #7
RV Wizard

gsadmiin, I wish all coaches came with diagrams and schematics but they don't. I have only found these documents in the high end coaches. When we come into a situation to require such information we have to call tech support and get someone from off the floor to tell us how wiring or plumbing is run. It is a lot of waisted time and thank goodness it is not a daily need.
2000 Scenic Cruiser
2006 Saturn Vue AWD Toad
NASCAR #3 & #8
Old 12-08-2005, 08:21 AM   #8
gsadmin

That sounds so ridiculous you have no idea.

Actually, that may even account for some of the repair issues some dealers have been known to cause/not address. I know if I was faced with a phone call, then a wait, then a verbal direction on how wiring or plumbing was run, most times i would try and wing-it first.

I have found that both Winnebago and C-Ya have diagrams available from their websites for just about all models, inexpensive to luxury. You (and others) really should go to the Winnebago site and see what I am talking about. I am not saying it has to be as fancy as theirs, but something.

What is your opinion as to why some compaines choose to do the right thing and make this available while others do not? Is it simply that those that have the proper engineering staff and documentation make it available and those that don't decry "competitive reasons".

Ultimately, in the 21st century, to think that a $100K coach with so many systems is being repaired by "authorized dealers" and they are not given that level of detail is one of the most ludicrous things I have ever heard!

Please don't take that as a stab at you RV Wizard, I am sure that you are a fine RV Tech, but my point is that it is obvious that everyone would be served better if that level of docs were released.
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote