Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
sologal

Send a message via Yahoo to sologal
Default Fuel cap notification

Hi, I'm a new GS owner, purchased a 2004 BTCruiser a month ago in Texas, on my way back to California. Yesterday while driving, heard a "bong" and saw on the dashboard "check fuel cap". Stopped immediately, opened and screwed the brand new cape back in, numerous times, but the message hasn't gone off. I drove on and am in Laughlin. Have taken the cap on and off several times, but the message still remains. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong, or should I take it to Camping World? Thanks for any input.
sologal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
Nanaeve

Default Check Cap Light

I must first tell you that I have a International Diesel Endura but have worked on gas vehicles since I was 14. The light is often just a generic warning. If you have a Scan tool it will give you the problem code and that will more specific to the problem. They are available for 50 bucks at lots of car parts dealer (Walmart has them at usally the best price in town). It's possible that your cap is defective, or that the sensor has failed. You said that its a new cap, check it with another, it might shut of the light. Some systems must be reset with the tool, but most will clear the code (Light) after a few minutes. I bought a tool years ago and any vehicle with the connector (Even Diesels ) is usually right under the dash on the drivers side, although some are in / under the center console. This is a polution control issue and in California (My home base) its covered for 10 years or 100,000 miles. You might want to check into it. I don't travel without one anymore as it has helped others also. Good luck!
Old 10-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
sologal

Thanks for the input! I previously purchased a scan tool (I think that's what it was) that you plug in, and it gives codes on what's wrong. It only worked with PCs, and I have a MacBook, so I sent it back. Suppose it's the same thing? At any rate, I'll put the old fuel cap back on and see if it makes a difference. The engine light has also been on, it was scanned 4 days ago and I was told it was a emissions leak that wouldn't make any difference in AZ, but would in CA. Hope I haven't bought a passel of trouble. The BT is in beautiful condition and only has 23,000 miles. Thanks again!
Old 10-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
Nanaeve

Default gas Cap

The scan tool I was refering to does't need a computer, it a handheld device and runs on a 9v battery.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:41 PM   #5
sologal

Oh great! Does it have a specific name so I can appear not to be totally stupid? Some of the clerks at WalMart are really young. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
Nanaeve

Default Gas Cap

I've always seen them in the auto electrical section, they are usually called OBDII Scaner , that stands for On Board Diagnostic 2nd version. There maybe a small book that tells you the codes or they maybe on a disk. Also there is often more detailed codes found at websites. They even offer them in Bilingual versions. Its best to download the specific codes and keep a copy with you. Hope this is of some help!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:41 AM   #7
sologal

Default fuel cap notification

Thank you so much, Nanaeve. I'm sure thi sOBDII will help me now, and on down the road. Next stop, WalMart.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
mfa

Since you say that this happened with a brand new cap, you may have purchased the wrong kind of cap. You may have replaced a non-vented cap with a vented cap.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:19 PM   #9
sologal

mfa,
I was told by Camping World that I had to order the fuel cap from a Ford dealership, as my engine is a V-10 specific to my BTCruiser. So I went to one and they had to special order it out of Phoenix. (I was in Sierra Vista at the time.) So of course I thought it was the correct one. I drove approximately 100 miles with it on before the message and bong came on my dash.

I just changed back to the old one this evening, so will find out what happens when I pull out tomorrow.
Thanks for the input, I'll report back tomorrow evening when I've stopped.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:36 PM   #10
Home Skillet

Rather than guessing what's wrong. Take it to the Ford dealer and have the diagnostic check done.
More than likely it's not the gas cap, but a fuel vapor system leak.
Home Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #11
sologal

Home Skillet and All: Wonder of wonders when I was driving from Mojave west, pulling the hills, suddenly the fuel cap light went off! Then when I was chatting with a trucker today during a stop, he also mentioned that it's probably a fuel vapor system leak. I'm now home (in Petaluma, CA) and will take it to a Ford dealer and see what they say. Wondering how much that's going to cost, if it is a vapor system leak --- we'll see.

Again, thank you all for your help! I didn't feel like I was going to crash in the desert alone with your inputs.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:07 PM   #12
Home Skillet

If I were a betting man, I would say the fuel filler pipe hose has a leak.
Sometimes the hose may pop off the charcoal cannister.
It is mounted at the rear frame rail on the driver's side.
Take a quick look see. It may be something simple.
Home Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #13
sologal

Default fuel cap and engine light

Hi all,
Took the GS to the Ford Dealer; they had to drop the gas tank, only to find that a sensor had failed. Also the new gas cap, though it was specially ordered for the 2004 V-10 was the wrong cap. Thank heavens I had purchased an extended warranty, as it was all paid for. Just to drop the gas tank was $700.

Home Skillet, thanks for the tip about the fuel filler pipe hose. It's a good thing to know. Still am trying to order a manual.