Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-14-2008, 12:18 AM   #1
djqualls

Default Problem with my Tourmaster Coach Battery 12v Power feed

I have a problem with the coach power system. I had the coach batteries replaced and when I left the Battery company I didn't have any power to the coach 12v and looked at the cutoff switches and noticed that the coach was not lit. obviously the chasis was working.

After a lot of fuse checking, I was able to jumper a relay and power the relays that feed the fuse blocks.

I took some videos of where I found the workaround and would appreceiate if anyone who watches these videos might provide some helpful suggestions. I really don't want my coach at a reapir service for 3 weeks and 20 hours of diagnostic charges when I can get a lead on the root cause of the problem.

by the way I switched the coach and chassis cutoff switch to determine if the switch was OK and the switches are good.

Videos of my problem on my YouTube site.

Thanks

David Qualls
Old 03-14-2008, 03:01 AM   #2
earljan34

Dave, I was unable to view the videos but if everything was working before and works with a jumper I would suspect a wire not connected or connected to the wrong place just my thought at least that's were I would start.

Hope this helps you some.

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

Dave,
I would have to agree with Earl, if it worked before the batteries were replaced then I would say that something was not reconnected correctly at the batteries.

I believe from what I saw that maybe you are connected the batteries systems when you use the jumper wire and thus feeding from both sets of batteries.

Just my thought,
Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:03 AM   #4
djqualls

Ron, Earl,

Outside of the heavy cables attached to the batteries there is a small blue wire with a 15 amp fuse inline attached to the positive and that is all I see. I need to unhook the batteries and remove one of them so I can look behing them.

How is the cutoff switch initially powered? is it from the battery direct via another cable like the blue one in the third video?

Thanks for your help. I hope to do more checking tomorrow.

Dave.......
Old 03-16-2008, 06:14 AM   #5
earljan34

Dave, I have seen this problem before on boats, When they accidentally hook up a ground cable to a positive post, on the boats I have seen it only blows the fuse , I would chase the wires from the battery to the solenoids and make sure they have been hooked up right, The big mistake people make when changing batteries is if the cables are not marked and they all fall together a mistake can be made by the best at this point, I always mark the cables and tie them together that go to one post, been there done that and it is very easy to make a mistake.

Just a thought but a starting point! I suspect that they have a wire hooked to the wrong battery or wrong post!
Please let us know what you find.

Earl

Old 03-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
GStream40
Site Team

Dave,

We are sitting at a RV Resort in Florida right now so I went out and looked at the house batteries on my coach. I have 4-6 volt batteries and besides the heavy main cables, I have just a smaller black cable that goes to the Inverter to power it. I have no blue wire, but maybe that is for your inverter on your coach.

Evidently the wiring is different on my coach because I do not have the solenoid that looks like the old Ford relay, but I do have the other one.

I also have two manual disconnect switches, one for the chassis batteries and the other for the coach/house batteries.

Like Earl, I still believe the problem has to be at the connections at the batteries that were replaced.

From what I can see, you do have two 12 volt batteries, is this correct?
If so then both positive should connected together then the positive line should be connected to positive on one of the batteries. Both negatives should be connected together and the negative line should be connected to the negative on the batteries.

Here is a link to a site I have found very useful. There is a picture that shows exactly how to connect 12 volt batteries and also one that shows how to connect 6 volt batteries.
http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

Ron
Old 03-16-2008, 10:34 PM   #7
djqualls

EUREKA! I found it.

After thorough inspection of the battery compartment, I pulled out all od the coiled looms out and found a battery cable about 1/0 in size left un connected.

Thanks To everyone for your help!!!

Old 03-17-2008, 03:09 PM   #8
earljan34

Glad we could help!!!

Earl

Old 03-17-2008, 10:26 PM   #9
GStream40
Site Team

Dave,
Glad you found the problem!!!

I think I would let the battery installers know they screwed up and caused you some work and worry.

Ron
Old 03-18-2008, 11:27 PM   #10
rdlamb

Dave:
Glad you found the problem, The amount of amps running through your switches can easily kill us humans. For the battery company to leave a battery cable off leaves me sweating.
Depending upon the configuration, that open cable could easily be hot.
But, did this cure your switch problem?

My switches both went out, and were replaced under warranty. The dealer said the new switches were much better, or improved, than the defective ones.

But since this occurred just after the dealer "adjusted" one of my batteries because it expired during the one year warranty, I'm wondering if my switches really went bad or.......
Safe travels
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:44 AM   #11
djqualls

Rick,

My switches had to be replaced under warranty as well. it seems that they got a bad run of those cutoff switches. Of course they didn't do any type of recall on them.

All is well as for now.

Dave...
Old 03-20-2008, 09:53 AM   #12
rdlamb

That settles my mind Dave, thanks.
Safe Travels
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote