Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-07-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
nandj1966

Default LOAD LEVELER/SWAY BAR -- UPDATE

We have just picked up our TT and need your advice.
What's the best load-leveler/sway bar to use?

I've read on here something about a Reese Dual Cam, but hubby says he wants something that's all in one. . .not 2 separate things.

I want SAFETY 1st!! So, what's the safest in ya'll's experiences?

(I have a horror story involving our very 1st TT, but I won't scare ya'll with it. )
Thank you, Lord, for Blessing us with our GS!
nandj1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
Timothy

You might want to look at the Equal-i-zer hitch.

The Hensley is supposed to be the cadilac of hitches, but is very expensive. I would check out the equal-i-zer brand hitch, I have heard very good things about them.

Also I think the dual cam is very easy to use once it is set up. You can check it out here
Old 06-11-2007, 07:19 AM   #3
Roy Buzzard

I switched over to the equal-i-zer 2 years ago and have been very happy with the difference it made as compared to other weight distribution hitches I have used. Also, you are supposed to take the sway control bars off prior to backing up. This step is also eliminated with the equal-i-zer.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
GStream40
Site Team

Default Re: LOAD LEVELER/SWAY BAR??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandj1966
We have just picked up our TT and need your advice.
What's the best load-leveler/sway bar to use?

I've read on here something about a Reese Dual Cam, but hubby says he wants something that's all in one. . .not 2 separate things.

I want SAFETY 1st!! So, what's the safest in ya'll's experiences?

(I have a horror story involving our very 1st TT, but I won't scare ya'll with it. )
Back in the late 80's and early 90's when we owned our TT we used the Reese Dual Cam Sway control and towed the trailer for probably 40k miles with never a problem.

Once they are installed on the the weight distribution bars and the brackets on the trailer and set up, they are very easy to use and require no additional adjustment. Hitching up is almost the same procedure as if when you only have weight distribution bars. Quite easy.

If I was to go back to towing a travel trailer from our MH, I will definately get the Reese Dual Cam Control once again without hesitation. But that is my opinion from my previous experience with the safe towing we did.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
nandj1966

We definitely decided on the dual cam system because of the advice on this board. So, thanks for the advice!

Hubby got on ebay (yea, what else?) and found a Drawtite load leveler hitch & dual cam system. Supposedly the original owner only used it 1 time to move his trailer from one state to another & his RV is now permanently affixed to a site, so he was selling the hitch. Who knows if it's the truth or not, but the story sounds good, huh?!?

Anyway, Drawtite is an old company with a good reputation, so DH feels it will be a good one. Got it for 1/3 the price of a new one, so it was a good deal.

We haven't gotten it yet, but we'll let you know what we think about the hitch after we use it the 1st time, which will be probably the end of June.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:15 PM   #6
nandj1966

Okay! We took our 1st trip using the load-leveler/Reese dual cam hitch system over the weekend. DH was totally satisfied with the handling of it. Still got a little 'push' by the 18-wheelers as they came by, but NO SWAY!! Yayyyyy!!

I guess I feel safe using the dual cam system -- it's a whole lot better than the friction-type system we had years ago! Although I think for me to feel really safe, we'll probably just stay off the Interstates.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:06 PM   #7
GStream40
Site Team

Glad to hear that it is working out for you, but I knew it would from my experience with it.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote