Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
Juan HappyCamper

Default Should I Buy a Gulf Stream?

All:

I really need your help. The new '07 Gulf Breeze 29BHS TT floor plan is perfect for my family, but I am really struggling to find anyone who has anything good to say about Gulf Stream. Of the 30 or so posts I've read on RV.net, I think there were 2 that had positive comments. I've negotiated what I believe to be a good enough deal, but I am having strong reservations about the product. Your comments, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Juan
Old 03-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
Larry Moore

go for it I have not had anything but good experiences with GS service
Larry
Larry Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
Timothy

Your just as likely to get a lemon with any brand out there! Gulf Stream has a bad rap on RV.net but you'll notice most of the people that put down Gulf Streams don't own one, usually my friend, my brother, my cousin etc.
Go for it, do a thorough PDI and buy from a dealer you trust. I can almost guarantee that your going to have some issues, but you will have some with any rig you buy. I think the fit and finish in my Canyon Trail was much better then many other brands I looked at. I have never seen a Gulf Breeze so I can't really comment on them other then to say if it's as good as my Canyon Trail you can't go wrong.
Good Luck and I hope you find the rig you want.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
rjf7g

Default To buy a GS or not?

I have owned Fleetwood, Starcraft, Jayco, and Citation (Thor) campers. I recently ordered a GS Innsbruck 36 FRS from a dealer I think VERY highly of. I went with the Innsbruck because of the floor plan and the dealer. My experience has been that there will be "little things" wrong with any RV you purchase. I did my first walkthrough of my new TT on the dealer's lot last week - he had found a few "little things" and I added a few more to his list. I sent him an e-mail this past weekend and asked him to check the bottom bolts based on info I found on this forum.

I am 100% certain he will fix it all and then some before I even spend the night in my new camper. Once it becomes mine, I will rely on him for any "big things" that might come up.

As of right now, I am thinking GS is as good as any other brand I have owned and has at least one dealer who out shines any other dealer I have ever dealt with. Check out http://www.grandviewtrailersales.com if you would even consider buying in Virginia - Kenneth is awesome!
Old 03-06-2007, 02:22 PM   #5
ethomps1

My before camper was a Jayco pop-up and everyone swore that the service was the best, etc.....We had nothing but problems that wouldn't get fixed even with repeat visits. We ditched the Jayco POS (yes, that's what we named it) and bought an Ameri-Lite and have loved it. Even with the one warranty issue on the mattress - which was replaced with a higher quality mattress - I wouldn't hesitate to look at this brand again.

(Even with my comments about non-coordinating fabrics - but I find that in every brand out there).

Good luck with your decision.
ethomps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
WE B RVN

Juan HappyCamper
Welcome to the forum.

If you like the unit go for it. The risk of problems are equal with any brand. I have had great luck with Gulf Stream. Also you should consider joining the Gulfstreamers RV Club.

Kevin
WE B RVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:26 PM   #7
GStream40
Site Team

We presently own our second Gulf Stream motorhome and would buy a third if we were looking for another.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:36 PM   #8
Coolbreeze

Really pay no attention to RV.net. Much has been said here and it is all true. Campers require maintenance. I was a Keystone fan and I struggled mightily to find why they were better then Gulfstream. I couldn't find a reason and when it came right down to it the Gulfstream is more trailer for the money so I bought it.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:58 PM   #9
dkrickbaum

Default Check the tires before you buy!

We bought our Innsbruck trailer in 2003. At the end of last summer we had a tire blow out. This summer we had two more tires blow out. Come to find out the tires that were on the trailer when we bought it were undersized. They are smaller than the minimum tire size and load range noted on the tag that is on the trailer and in the brochure given to us when we bought the trailer. So far Gulfstream has been very unresponsive, claiming that the tires are out of warranty. I haven't figured that out yet and we continue to try to talk to Gulfstream, with no luck.

I guess it is our fault for assuming that a brand new trailer would meet the manufacturer's minimum specifications. Next time we will check the tire sizes before we close the deal. I know that it will not be a Gulfstream product.
dkrickbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:11 PM   #10
Michael58

We have a 5290 and we like it. Is it a peach, not by any means. Are we sorry we bought a gulfstream, not really, we did look at alot out there.
It was nice, so we bought it. The only thing we're not thrilled with is how GS does things that let say.... well you've read other posts. I could probably go on for a few paragraphs, but I won't only because this site is supposed to be positive for GS owners and I'm one.
Yes, it's a nice unit, was it built fast,....... umm VERY.

If you're handy. buy one, if not, hopefully you have $$$$$$$

Michael
Michael58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:19 PM   #11
ricstone

Hi, were are new here. also new to the TT world. we traded our Chalet Arrowhead in on a 07 Ameri-Light 21mb 2 weeks ago. so far no problem's but if so we have a great dealer who will take care of it. as for the camper we love it! just our size an the price was great. so i dont care what the other sites have to say about GS. all that matters is if you like it. i would not hesitate to do it again. good luck
ric [/u]
Old 08-27-2007, 08:46 AM   #12
ethomps1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricstone
Hi, were are new here. also new to the TT world. we traded our Chalet Arrowhead in on a 07 Ameri-Light 21mb 2 weeks ago. so far no problem's but if so we have a great dealer who will take care of it. as for the camper we love it! just our size an the price was great. so i dont care what the other sites have to say about GS...
ric [/u]
Ric - that's the trailer that I have, but a 2004. I've now done several week long trips this year, and still love the camper. Yes, it's small - but it serves our needs. It hauls nicely, set up is minimal, and has a lot of storage inside. Good luck with your new toy - I hope that you like it as much as my hubby and I do.
ethomps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:54 AM   #13
ricstone

i think we will like it just fine. it is a big step up from the popup. much easer!
i wished my Explorer had a little more get up an go but it towes it just fine. have to turn off the overdrive. we made our maiden voyage this past weekend an it was great! had no trouble at all with anything! it's big to us after the Chalet. course its just the wife an i an Lexi the Boston terrier. an Lexi loves it. thanks for the reply!
ric
Old 11-12-2008, 12:25 AM   #14
RayChez1

I own a Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser diesel pusher and we have had very good luck with this coach. I bought it brand new and have around forty thousand miles on it now with very few issues.
RV.Net does bash Gulfstream and is controlled by a few regulars that own Newmars and if you don't own a Newmar nothing else is good. There is a big battle right now on rv.net between Newmar owners and Winnabago owners. One is trying to out do the other, so don't pay attention to what is posted on rv.net, they are very biased. The quality on my Gulfstream coach has been second to none. I have the real Walnut cabinets, corian tops and ceramic floors. Splendide washer/dryer. My wife and I love our coach. I don't know much about travel trailers, but check it out and if you like the floor plan, go for it.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #15
IOWA HAPPY CAMPER

Default Re: Check the tires before you buy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrickbaum
We bought our Innsbruck trailer in 2003. At the end of last summer we had a tire blow out. This summer we had two more tires blow out. Come to find out the tires that were on the trailer when we bought it were undersized. They are smaller than the minimum tire size and load range noted on the tag that is on the trailer and in the brochure given to us when we bought the trailer. So far Gulfstream has been very unresponsive, claiming that the tires are out of warranty. I haven't figured that out yet and we continue to try to talk to Gulfstream, with no luck.

I guess it is our fault for assuming that a brand new trailer would meet the manufacturer's minimum specifications. Next time we will check the tire sizes before we close the deal. I know that it will not be a Gulfstream product.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW ---- if you got 5 years out of those tires you did good, they where more than likely made in 02, I have a fealing your one hard person to please or just a basher
IOWA HAPPY CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote