Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
tarheel

Default Dish or Direct TV?

I have a KVH Tracvision dish on my 07 Tour Master. I'm getting ready to set it up with satelite service. We have Dish at home, but KVH told me that I would have to buy a special receiver (#311 - non-HD) and purchase keys for it in order to get Dish in my motorhome. Also, the satelite will have to be reprogramed in order to recieve Dish since it came from their factory set for Direct TV. We presently have #322 Dish receivers at the house and KVH has stated that they will not work in the motorhome.

The other option I have is to change the service at home to Direct TV and just take one of their receivers on the road with us and nothing has to be recalibrated with the satelite dish.

I'm looking for some feedback from those that may be using either of the services on the road. Also, from anyone who has had to have their receiver reprogramed to get Dish.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Curt Krueger

Default Dish or Direct

tarheel
I will send you my 2cents on this subject. I have had Direct for about 15 years now of which the past ten have been in the RV. We have direct in the house and it is as simple as taking the receiver from the house to the RV to have the service. I have the King dome in the rv and it works out real good.
I have never had any technical problems with Direct. I do not have the HD service as my dome is not equipped for the K band. I also have had another receiver in the rv , and that was even easier , I just took the card out of the house receiver and put it into the rv receiver however that receiver finally died after many years and I never replaced it.

I guess I favor Direct but of course this is MHO

Curt
Old 05-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

We also have DirecTV since 2000. We just take one of the receivers from the house to the MH. We have the KVH TracVision in the MH. Never had any issues and functions great.

Guess I would have to vote to dump Dish and get DirecTV, just my opinion.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
stonesfan

Default Re: Dish or Direct TV?

We also have KVH Tracvision in our 2008 Tour Master, and just the other day I purchashed a Dish Network Reciever from Camping World. Set it up, called Dish Network, they programed
it, and we've been watching all of our Favorite Shows. Not a Bad Deal, and as long as my Wife is Happy, I'm HAPPY............................................. ............

Bruce ( aka, Stonesfan )
stonesfan is offline   Reply With Quote