Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-17-2008, 08:51 PM   #1
amman1725

Default Front Brakes on my 06 Endura Chatter like we're on washboard

about 7,500 miles on our Endura which we love; took it out for a test drive tonight before our big trip next weekend; brakes were fine for about 8 miles, then got on the freeway got up to 60 mph, 8 miles, took off ramp, at end of off ramp while applying the brakes the front end started to chatter and hop, I thought it was just road bumps, so I took the corner and proceeded; I checked the brakes after the corner at low speed and they worked fine; 7 miles; got back to our neighborhood and took the last corner and applied the brakes gently and the chatter was back! Can't seem to replicate it; Any advice other than taking it into Les Schwab on Monday? I've had great luck with this forum in the past, lots of great people! thanks in advance for your help, Jeff.

I have a 14' pace enclosed trailer with electric brakes behind the endura weighing about 3,800 pounds; no problems with the trailer brakes;
Old 05-18-2008, 02:06 PM   #2
amman1725

Default Front Brake Chatter

I just talked with a friend who thinks it might be rust on the brakes which is causing trouble with the anti-locks on the front; We haven't been on a trip for about three months and the moho is in a covered parking spot so I wouldn't think it would be rusting bad, but we do live in Western Wa where it rains 365 days a year.... I am going to take it out tonight and drive around without the trailer and use the brakes as much as possible to see if I can cure it that way; Nothing looks out of place under the hood and since the problem is intermittent this may be the cause;

Has anyone else had any trouble like this?

Don't even suggest calling the dealer, look for my earlier posts when we first bought the Endura for that story, RV USA was less than helpfull;
Old 05-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
mfa

It might be that one of your brake pistons is sticking.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
amman1725

Default Brake Chatter

If its the piston is there any way to lube them short of taking it to the service shop? I just got back from another test drive and this time no chattering; no trailer hooked up but that shouldn't have anything to do with the motorhome brakes; I'm going to hook up the trailer and join the other million drivers this coming weekend and see what happens; Thanks for your insight, see you on the road, Jeff.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:46 PM   #5
rdlamb

Sorry, we were traveling today.

Have driven a lot of Kodiacs on our farm. Had an Endura. So, with that experience, I wonder if you picked up a rock on top of your brake caliper.

The tire bounces a rock off the wheel well, and it falls on top of the caliper. That causes an intermittent squeak, rattle, shake.

Have had this happen on the farm trucks, not the Endura, but they are one and the same so it bears checking out.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
amman1725

Default brakes

800 miles with the trailer; it chattered for the first 100 miles and then seemed to straighten itself out; after that it worked fine; not sure exactly what was wrong but it seems to have gone away; Next trip in three weeks, another 800 miler but alot heavier in the trailer so we'll see what happens; Happy RVing, Jeff.