Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
GregGarner

Default Leaking fresh water pump

I just bought a 2008 Super C gulfstream Gladiator, with 6316 floor plan.

I noticed that there was some water underneath the compartment right behind the entrance door, but didn't think anything about it.

I installed my 1KW sine wave inverter on the rear wall of this compartment, and it worked fine after install.

The next day I went back out and tried it again, and it was dead. I noticed more water on the ground, and the invertor was wet. I was looking around and next thing I notice is that water is dripping out of the 120V outlet on the ceiling of this compartment. Needless to say I immediately shut down the AC coming into the RV as this was a major safety problem.

Right above this compartment is a door with speakers in it. I proceeded to take out the speakers, and there was the fresh water pump. The wood all around the pump was soaking wet. I looked closer, and the water pump that gulfstream installed had some kind of quick disconnects on it, and they were leaking.

I think the company that made the pump built in quick disconnects so they could have just 1 model of pump with 8 or 9 different kinds of connections. However, their design is very poor and if you put any kind of side load on the quick disconnect, it leaks.

I decided to relocated the pump to the floor of the water tank compartment, where if it leaks it won't trash anything.

I can't figure out why gulfstream put the water pump in this new location, my old gulfstream Ultrasport had it on the water tank compartment floor. I figure that the pump is no more likely to freeze than the water lines already in that compartment?

I replaced the pump with one that doesn't haved quick disconnects at my own expense, because I didn't have time to go to the dealer and get it fixed. Should I take the old pump in and ask for a replacement or am I wasting my time because I would just get another one with the poorly designed quick disconnects?

I would encourage other Gulfstream SUPER C owners to check this pump and make sure it isn't leaking like mine was.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Nanaeve

Default Leaking freshwater pump

Our 2009 Endura has the pump located under the cabinets (6341) in the bedroom just above the tank. I'm going (If I ever get it back from GS) put it in a tray and drain it out by the tank. I've heard they have a high failure rate and one of the first things I plan on doing is get a spare, nothing like no running water, and have it all ready to just plug and play. I'm a retired Biomedical Engineer and have spent 35 years working in the Hospital field and have always been a "What If?" thinker and need to get out of that or our unit will be full of spare everything. In the cabinet, enclosing it with just a cardboard box made a real difference in what little noise there was, but still enough to hear. Mixed thoughts on making it too guiet as a failure of the demand switch would allow it to run on and drain the tank, perhapes a time switch that limited the run time would prevent it from happening. Any one have any thoughts?
Old 04-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
mfa

Here's a solution I found a couple of years ago...

I haven't gotten around to trying it, though. [/img]
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
Mopajo

Default Water pump

purchased Ultra Super C in Feb 09
Water pump not leaking just failed seems to soon. Under warranty but wondering if I should carry a spare.
I am a newbie and very concerned about all issues.
Mopajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
mfa

Default Re: Water pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopajo
purchased Ultra Super C in Feb 09
Water pump not leaking just failed seems to soon. Under warranty but wondering if I should carry a spare.
I am a newbie and very concerned about all issues.
The water pump in my 2006 Ultra Super C has worked fine since I bought it new. I wouldn't bother carrying a spare.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote