Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-24-2007, 05:23 AM   #1
Jobuha

Default 12v electrical problems

I was wondering if anyone has experienced any 12v electrical problems such as these. I own a 2007 sun voyager 8389 diesel puller, I have the following problems

1. 12v internal passenger side reading lights do not work ( they use too)

2. Lights over the sink work sometimes.

3. Reverse lights do not work

All fuses have been checked, light bulds have neen check in the reverse lights, unable to check LED in the coach. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Jobuha
Jobuha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
RJ82much

Jobuha,

Since your problems are occuring over many different circuits, it would sound as though there might be a grounding problem rather than a 12 volt supply problem. A starting point might be to examine the battery grounds

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
RJ82much

Jobuha,

Just a minor followup - From my source of information, it appears likely that the backup lights go into the automotive wiring & therefore to fuses in the engine compartment & transmission switches/whatever. This problem could be from a number of causes in addition to grounds. You have an appointment to get this corrected. Be sure to ask them what is found to be wrong.

Your reading/map lights (left & right) are on the same supply circuit, protected by a 5 amp fuse. You stated the fuses were OK, so the likely cuprit is still the ground.

I was unable to determine how/where the over-sink light is wired. I still suspect ground problems. You are not reporting other 12v equipment problems, so it doesn't seem to be the ground at the battery - rather poor or loose connections of the individual device's ground connection. The ground wiring is white, so perhaps an easy test is to run a temporary long wire from a solid frame (or battery terminal) to the white terminal on your partially disassembled lamp fixture & see if it goes on.

DISCLAIMER: Just be careful that you don't somehow reverse the leads (battery packs a punch) and be careful you're not inadvertantly messing with a powered ac circuit.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:00 PM   #4
by8s

RJ82much:
I had a similar problem with some 12V lights and noticed I have some corroded house battery terminals. I wonder if that could do the same thing. Everything is working fine right now. Haven't had a chance to get out and clean the terminals yet.
by8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:41 AM   #5
Jobuha

Default UPDATE

here is the Update to my problem.

1. reverse lights - freightliner service center found the problem waiting parts to fix. The problem was a broken wire harness connector under the passenger side by the front tire. The connector was crushed and the wires were cut. Currently waiting on the Custom Chassis dept to release a new connector. ( If freightliner service center buys the part they have to buy 30 and they are not a hot item in this area) Good news is it was under warranty.

2. Kitchen lights- I believe it is a loose wire, one of the lights started working again. will have to take the cupboard apart (flooring) to check this hunch out.

3. Living room lights ---- still in the dark on this one .. will remove the bottom panel to the cupbaord and check the wiring there and work my way back to the fuse panel.

You know it the little things that piss you off especially when you put out that kind of coins to have a coach. I did not have this much problems with MONTANA 5th wheel. But saying that it is easier for me to fix the problems than try to deal with the podunk service center in my area. Last time I attempted to have some warranty work done JoeBob BillyRae Jimbo dumb*** could even figure out how to attempt to fix the problem.. The nearest authorized service center is over 150 miles away and to take it there to fix a light would cost more in fuel than its worth.

Jobuha
Old 10-30-2007, 11:58 AM   #6
Jobuha

Default ****** UPDATE ******

Well low and behold, I'm setting at my desk and the phone rings. It was Molly Berger From GULFSTREAM customer service rep for the East Coast. Very Pleasant person to talk to. More than willing to assist in getting my problem fixed. I informed her that the coach was at Freightliner having the electrical problems with the reverse lights being fixed and that I would contact her after that problem was resolved. Molly is so helpful in trying to get my problem fixed that she has requested once I get the Coach back to call her and she will 3-way with the Authorized service center in my area. When I thought I was getting no where with this out of the Blue GS steps up to the Plate..........

will keep all informed
Old 10-30-2007, 08:18 PM   #7
djqualls

Remember, Gulfstream doesn't read this board....
Old 11-01-2007, 07:04 AM   #8
Jobuha

Default *******FINAL UPDATE*******

Recieved coach back from Freightliner..... all exterior lights work. Low and behold the interior lights work too, with the exception of the one over the sink.(bad bulb)

So the last question is anyone know what type of bulb this is and where I can get one...
Old 11-01-2007, 08:52 PM   #9
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by djqualls
Dave,
Some GS associates DO read this forum posts according to some disscussions that I had with some of them at the Back Home Rally this past June.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #10
ginger

Default elec broblems

bad grounds cause many wierd problems. also check the crimps on the terminals at lights n switches. many on my GS were porly done.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:31 PM   #11
djqualls

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStream40
Quote:
Originally Posted by djqualls
Dave,
Some GS associates DO read this forum posts according to some disscussions that I had with some of them at the Back Home Rally this past June.

Ron
I understand. I frogot to add the tongue in cheek emoticons
Old 11-13-2007, 08:47 PM   #12
rdlamb

Default Some electrical answers

Sorry about not jumping in earlier. We use a USB modem connected to our cell phone carrier which does not work everywhere. Just jumped carriers and hopefully things will work better.

Electrical problems we have experienced and solved include:

In the slide of the Tour Master the electrical lines, both 110 and 12 volt, are "soft" wires, comprised of a core of multiple wires. In other words, not solid core. The 110 line stopped working, but did not throw the breaker. I contacted GS, but was in deep Montana, where GS dealers/service centers are few. GS called me back and invited me to travel >350miles to a GS service center to have the electrical problem evaluated.

I chose to have a local electrician (at $60/hr) look at the problem. He found and fixed it in 1.5 hours.

GS wire nutted the multi-core line to the solid core 110 line with a wire nut. One thin wire got bent back and was touching the metal box, which grounded out the entire line. The electrician pointed out that GS has to use a flexible line to follow the slide arm in and out. But, I had to pay for the factory mistake.

Then, the chandelier over the table had lights going on/off randomly. Again it was a wire problem, the ground wire came loose. Probably from rattling while traveling.

Same with several other lights.

Short answer to long story is this: when lights/electrical do not work and the breaker/fuse is not blown, then look for a loose ground. They work loose over time.

Also, it may be cheaper to look at the connections in your junction boxes (if you have that knowledge, got to be careful with electricity), than to fire up the engine at $3.50/gal.

Last, my coach came with halogen bulbs which generate a fair amount of heat. They are encased in a ceramic base, which may crack. The halogen escapes and the light may look intact, but change it and the light comes back on.

Take care
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote