Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
Tsiri

Default Going to Buy a Gulfstream Cavalier for First time

I'm saving up to buy a Gulfstream Cavalier. Short story- lost my house to a refinance scam, am renting from a friend and tired of being essentially homeless.

The trailer I want to buy is from a dealer in Baytown, Texas, 225 mi. from San Antonio for $2995.

I do know most of the trailers have flaws, because the workers and contractors only worked "cloz 'nuff fo' govmint werk" and no inspectors forced them to do the job right. So, I'm trading off "flaws" for price. At least I'm buying a new home. I'll own what I'm living in.

Besides the "missing floor piece" and "roof corner cuts," "water leaks in shower wall" and uncapped bottom drain hoses, what can I expect?

I plan to tear out the bunk beds, eventually replace the frig with an RV frig and freezer, build a pantry, an fold down secretary for an office, a floor-to ceiling cat toy for my Queen, (T'siri- a black manx), and install a washer/dryer unit /laundry room. At 30 feet long, it will be like a small apartment.

The RV park space rent is cheaper than my old mortgage. Once out of debt, I'll save for land. Small lots- 5-15 acres open up in the country outside San Antonio from time to time.

I'm looking for advice, manuals, wiring diagrams, etc. I want to install side windows- I'll look at double paned insulated windows.

I can't find the discussion, but folks mentioned dirt and black streaks on their trailers. I met a Cavalier owner who used automotive rubbing compound- it took the dirt and streaks off without harming the paint or finish. Use some elbow grease, he said.

I'd like to find out a little more about the rubber roofs- should I be concerned?
Tsiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
strawpatch

Default Re: Going to Buy a Gulfstream Cavalier for First time

May want to look at buying one of the ADA slide models if you are planning on living there long term. I live in an 8 x 32 during the week (about 4 nights) while I work away from home. It is fine for one person short term, but would not recommend long term. 8x32 is only about 260 sq feet. Not allot of room for you, your stuff, cooking, showering, and etc... Also I would not put too much in a rebuild, don’t need to put more in the camper than it is worth. Stay with the regular refrigerator if you are going to park where there is electricity, RV refrigerators are $1200 plus. Only need RV appliances and holding tanks if you are set up somewhere that does not have hook-ups, most camp grounds do. The all electric ADAs go for around 4-6k and would be cheaper to maintain. May also want to look at the FEMA 1 and 2 bedroom camp houses they go for about the same money. Goggle GSA auctions, Government Liquidators, and Henderson Auctions. Also check out eBay. Also may want to look at some older campers, there are allot of good deals on silently used campers out there. Shop, Shop, Shop!
strawpatch is offline   Reply With Quote