Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-26-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
Dr. Nosty

Default Wheel bearing information

Hello all. I'm new to the forum, but I've had travel trailers for a great many years.

I just bought a 2008 Amerilite 21MBLE which is in fantastic condition but, after many years of learning things the hard way, I know the need to keep the wheel bearings packed. I also like to keep a spare set just in case the unexpected happens on some desolate stretch of road (where those things always seem to happen).

Unfortunately, very little information came with the camper. In fact, I bought it at Camping World and they couldn't even tell me what size bearings/seals I needed (I believe because they'd prefer I pay the $345 they charge to pack wheel bearings for a double axle trailer). I've been searching online, but I can't find any specific information on the exact bearing size and seal size I need for this particular trailer. I'd like to get the seals and the spare bearings before I start jacking up the camper so I don't have to start the job, stop and go to the auto parts store, then restart.

Does anyone have the specific size/bearing-seal numbers for this particular camper? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Brian G.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
Dr. Nosty

Default Re: Wheel bearing information

And, for the record, "Go Away Spammer" is not part of my signature. I don't know how that got there.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:56 AM   #3
Slowdog

Were you able to figure out which bearings, race and seal that you need. I am in the same boat as you were when you posted your query...it is very difficult to get any useful information on these Amerilites.... Mine is a 2004 Amerilite 21MB and I located a part's catalog for the 2005 but it does not give the part numbers for the bearings...just the number for the axle which is a Dexter 10A. That Dexter number will not come up on the Dexter web site. I emailed both Gulfstream, Dexter, and eTrailer.com trying to get the correct part numbers but no one has yet answered. If I have to do so I will jack the camper up and remove the bearing to get numbers...that just seems like it should not be necessary.

I also PM'd you. Thanks for any help! By the way, we are neighbors...did you find a local source for the correct bearings, ect.
Slowdog
Old 08-12-2015, 02:30 PM   #4

Hi

Those roller tapered bearings are very common. Just take one wheel off and go to a local bearing shop and get good quality bearings like Timken, NTN, SKF or any good brand. Don't go to a RV dealer. All they have is very cheap ''China'' bearings. You can get the seal too at the bearing shop. And use good quality synthetic bearing grease.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:47 AM   #5
MikeK

I can't help with bearing #. But don't forget to use "Bearing Buddies". http://www.bearingbuddy.com/ I have them on my rv. Happy Camping
https://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/...psbmjsyrcu.jpg
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:49 PM   #6
Slowdog

The Bearing Buddies look like a great idea!

As far as the bearings go folk at eTrailer has told me that the wheel bearings for my 2004 Amerilite 21MBLE which has Dexter 10A axles (per the Gulfstream 2005 Parts Catalog...I cannot find a 2004 catalog online) are Inner bearing: L68149 and Outer bearing: L44649. As I have not yet pulled the bearings so I cannot verify that, but I told eTrailer my axle model number ect. and that is what they came up with....

I hope that someone who has a 21MB from the years around 2003-2008 and knows exactly which bearings we need will come forth. If not, when I pull my bearings I will post the numbers here.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:43 AM   #7

Sorry folks but "Bearing Buddies" are the worts PS you can buy and use for a TT.

With them, you over packed the bearing housing, burst the oïl seal and get grease and oïl all over Inside the brakes (drum, shoes etc). And the inner bearing almost never get fresh grease.

The old school method is still the way to go. Get them apart, remove the old seals, get the 2 bearings off, clean them, inspect, repack with new grease (synthetic) and put everything back together with new seals (less than $5 each).
Old 04-25-2016, 04:16 PM   #8
malsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowdog
As far as the bearings go folk at eTrailer has told me that the wheel bearings for my 2004 Amerilite 21MBLE which has Dexter 10A axles (per the Gulfstream 2005 Parts Catalog...I cannot find a 2004 catalog online) are Inner bearing: L68149 and Outer bearing: L44649. As I have not yet pulled the bearings so I cannot verify that, but I told eTrailer my axle model number ect. and that is what they came up with....

I hope that someone who has a 21MB from the years around 2003-2008 and knows exactly which bearings we need will come forth. If not, when I pull my bearings I will post the numbers here.
I was wondering if you were ever able to confirm the bearing information that eTrailer provided to you. I have a new to me 1998 AmeriLite 21MB, and the part catalog for that year only lists the GulfStream part number 01X038 for the 3,000lb AmeriLite axle. Looking at the 2005 part catalog I see that the same part number is listed with the added description of "Dexter Axle - 10A".

Like all of you, I would like to have the parts in hand before I brake down the first hub. Worst case, I guess I can take one apart this weekend, order the parts and then rebuild all four the following weekend.

Any information or pointers would be appreciated. My plans are to get this TT in shape for our first outing at the end of May.

-malsbury
malsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:35 PM   #9
malsbury

For the record I pulled a hub to confirm the part numbers and measure the grease seal before placing my order. I just finished up the install on all four hubs and everything fit and the wheels spin nice and smooth now.

Here is what I ordered for my 1998 AmeriLite 21MB with Dexter 10A axles:

Inner Bearing: L68149
Inner Race: L68111

Outer Bearing: L44649
Outer Race: L44610

Grease Seal OD: 2.565"
Grease Seal ID: 1.719"

Hope this information is helpful to someone in the future.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:28 AM   #10
Tonythepony

Thanks Malsbury I have the very same fifth wheel and went straight to this post. Where did you end up buying your bearings and seals?
Tonythepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:09 AM   #11
malsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonythepony
Where did you end up buying your bearings and seals?
I ordered four complete "Bearing Kit for #84 Spindle" kits from etrailer.com (Item # BK2-100). The only issue was that I needed to reuse my original washers due to a slight difference.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bearin ... 2-100.html