Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
jamesit

Default Cell Phone Signal Issues in a Scenic Cruiser...

I have poor signal in my scenic cruiser... I checked the forum for any information relating to any of this, but didnt find anything. Does any one else have this issue?

I'm trying to find a solution for this problem because I dont want to hit the road and get into some trouble and not have a reliable cell signal.

While I was doing some research on this topic, I found a gadget that I am interested in, but would like to know if any one has any experience with this thing.
https://www.unwiredsignal.com/?pn=Wi...s&p=1036&c=206

All help, advice, comments, etc are appreciated
Old 04-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
03heritagerider

Check first to see if the signal is compromised in/by the coach. In some cases it is a location problem in relation to the cell towers, not by the vehicle.

On our last trip out west, we ran into some issues that did not occur on previous trips with the same carrier in the same location. Here's why: Cell companies rent space to other carriers on towers they own or control. In some instances, a carrier can "evict" another carrier from the tower. This can result in a loss of signal for the users of the evicted carrier's service. Coverage in that area will not be restored unless they regain access to that tower; secure access on a nearby tower, or build their own in the vicinity.

There are several aftermarket antenna boosters and external (roof mounted) antennas, but I have not been convinced they are effective.

The best thing to do is check your carrier's service coverage map to see the density of coverage. Even with that, whenever you are moving, you can get into areas without coverage.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
jamesit

I checked my signal right outside the coach then on the inside... Outside I had 4 bars, inside I had one, but if I moved around it was gone. I think it is the coach... I wonder if the previous owner did anyhting that now interfereces with the cell signal...

But either way even if its the provider, I understand that there will be low coverage areas out there, but I just rather not be without a usable signal in case of an emergency.

Thanks for your advice.

What kind of antennas did you use?
Old 04-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
03heritagerider

I've never used anything other than the phone's built-in antenna. After speaking to several folks on this and other forums, I'm not convinced supplemental antennas work. And at more than $500.00 for the one listed in the link you attached, it seems like an expensive experiment.

If you haven't tried this yet...Ask someone who uses a different cell company to test their signal in and out of your coach. Then try it with someone who uses your carrier but has a different model phone. Could be a clue.

I've had phones that work better or worse than others. Right now, my wife and I have different phones (hers: LG - mine: Motorola) but both with the same carrier. We've been in locations where she had a signal and I didn't, and vice versa.

Go figure!
Old 04-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
RayChez1

It has nothing to do with the coach. I have a Scenic Cruiser and we use our cell phones all over the country with no problems. But it all depends as to who you have as a provider. We used to have AT&T and they have a lot of dead spots in the country. We switched to Sprint and we have not had any problems, unless you are deep in a canyon where the signal can't get out, but other then that it has been great.
But since you did mention a add on booster, I did get to talk to another RVer up in San Diego and he was selling an attachment for cell phones. They probably do work if you are in a remote area surrounded by mountains, but for us Sprint has worked just fine. But the Scenic Cruiser for sure is not at fault. LOL
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote