Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-25-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
Elise

Default HD tv

What will HD tv mean to rver's trying to watch tv next February when there will be no more analog tv?
Elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
mfa

If you have an "old" analog TV, then it means that you will need to buy a converter box to take the digital signal coming in from the antenna and convert it to an analog signal that your "old" TV can use. The boxes run about $50, but the US government will give you a coupon for $40 to use towards it.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
Elise

Now, how do I get the coupon?
Old 03-26-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
by8s

You will not need a "box" to watch satellite tv, (or cable) but if you want to watch local broadcast stations you will.
by8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
Maggie

Go to www.dtv2009.gov or call 1-888-DTV-2009(388-2009)
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
Elise

Default thanks so much

Now I have to figure out if the tv's in our rv are hd ready or not. If so, we'll need more coupons to cover our home and our rv!
Old 03-27-2008, 06:47 AM   #7
Kathy

Send a message via MSN to Kathy Send a message via Yahoo to Kathy
Default dig. tv

Thank you for the website. I was clueless where to find it. I will need it for my 5er. I have dish net at home so i will not need it there.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:43 AM   #8
GO BLUE

JUST REPLACED FRONT AND BEDROOM TV WITH NEW HDTV'S YOU WONT BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE !!!!!!!!!!!YOU GET OLD ANALOG CHANNELS WITH THE FREE SNOW AND THE DIGITAL ONES ARE LIKE HAVING A SATELLITE ON.........I CAN WATCH TV WITHOUT THE BATWING UP....AND ITS CLEAR AS DAY.........PRICES ARE AS LOW AS 160 FOR A 26IN TO 470 FOR A 32IN.....WENT TO BEST BUY TARGET AND BJ'S TO GET PRICES...I'VE HEARD THAT NEW BOX WILL LIMIT TO 5 CHANNELS NBC,CBS,ABC,PBS, AND ONE INDEPENDENT ......WITH THE WHOLE TV I GET ABOUT 14 TO 20 CHANNELS DEPENDING ON THE CITY YOUR IN
Old 03-27-2008, 06:35 PM   #9
Curt Krueger

Default HDTV

GO Blue

Good for you on the new tv's. I did the same for the front and soon will switch out the rear unit.

Curt

BTW, upper case on an email is yelling
Old 03-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
mfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO BLUE
...I'VE HEARD THAT NEW BOX WILL LIMIT TO 5 CHANNELS NBC,CBS,ABC,PBS, AND ONE INDEPENDENT ...
Not true. Read the following. [CECB stands for "coupon eligible converter box"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Govt.
f. Tuning Capability to All Television Channels 2-69

65. There was no opposition to the NPRM proposal that the converter box tune to all television channels, 2-69. This proposed rule reaffirmed the FCC Rules that ?TV broadcast receivers shall be capable of adequately receiving all channels allocated by the Commission to the television broadcast service.?[ 118 ] NTIA clarifies that the CECB is required to receive signals for those television channels that will be ?out of core? (channels 52-69) once the digital transition is complete.

66. In its comments, CBA notes that it is important that the tuning capability of boxes not stop at channel 51 because Class A and LPTV stations are permitted to operate on channels 52-69 on a secondary basis even after the February 17, 2009 deadline when full power stations must broadcast within the FCC?s ?core? channels, 2-51. Moreover, operation on temporary companion digital channels will be permitted on channels 52-59, even after the end of the full-power transition; and temporary flash-cut digital operations is permitted on channels 60-69 when no other channel is available.[ 119 ]

67. NTIA did not receive comments opposing the action. The Final Rule contains the requirement that the CECB receive all television channels 2-69.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:47 PM   #11
rdlamb

Hey guys:
The change will not require HD TVs. Analog signals will cease, being replaced with Digital signals. The only requirement is that your TV to be able to receive digital signals. HD is nice, but require additional equipment, costs, and headaches.
Safe Travels
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:46 PM   #12
GO BLUE

mfa.....the box I was refering to was the one at camping world........elise....you can tell if your tv is hd.....when you go to program when you move to a different area it will tell you how many analog and how many digital channels it found.........also the remote will have a "-" on it so you can program 20-1,20-2,20-3 for channel twenty.......on a hd tv you may get 4plus channels just for one pbs channel...nbc usually has three one analog one digital and then the nbc weather channel jim k
Old 04-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #13
mfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO BLUE
mfa.....the box I was refering to was the one at camping world...
That's the WINEGARD RC-DT09. It is on the list of "coupon eligible converter boxes" which means it must be able to receive all television channels 2-69, not just 5 channels.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:01 AM   #14
David Bott

As I posted elsewhere...(I have a new 2008 Tour Master)

Thanks GS for the HD sets, but you wired the RV all COMPOSITE!!!!

It can not carry HD from say a Blu-ray player or even a Hi-def sat box. Even the DVD system you have in it can do COMPONENT video, but you did not run any wires for it. Even the switch box can do component video, but you did not run it. You only ran Composite video and left and right audio.

Now how am I to run the correct wires or even a SINGLE HDMI cable????

BTW....I will be installing a front projector that will project onto the privacy screen. It is great that it just drops down and is white!!! Then even the surround sound will be correctly placed as it is not currently. (Nice idea to put surround sound in an RV, but not very practical based on placement.)

Yes, the sets can get Hi-Def from the room mount antenna. So that is a good thing. But it you can not add Hi-def sat to it as it is not wired as it needs to be.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:39 AM   #15
rdlamb

David:
What type of TVs is GS now putting in the Tour Master? My 07 came with Jensens, which I replaced with the Sony Bravida.
Replacing the TVs gave me ample time to put everything in HD, except I did not change out the Sony Theatre system, yet.
HD TV is awesome. Have gone with the Dish satellite system, and enjoy the difference between analogue and HD.
Have some suggestions if you are going to make the jump.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #16
Texas TC

I had the rear TV replaced under warranty. I had to wait because they were changing over from the old Jensen to the new Jensen HD and a new cabinet for the HD TV had to be constructed (they are slightly different in size). I installed a Radio Shack digital receiver on the front TV today and it works well.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:11 AM   #17
David Bott

Hey Rick:

It came with the Jensen as the two main sets and Sansui for the bedroom and basement sets. They all are all HD sets. I will be changing them out also. The issue still remain though that it is not wired correctly. The ONLY HD you can get like this is over the air local channels.

I also installed DISH network as they ar KU band and DirecTV is moving mostly to Ka. Their are no motion sat systems that can do Ka, thus the choice. Waiting for KVH to roll out the new software for HD support of DISH, and for DISH to add mobile support to the 211 HD box. Once that happens, we will be good to go except for the wiring in the TM. (They really did us a dis-service here.)

FYI...I own and operate www.avsforum.com and www.dbstalk.com .

Thanks!
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote