Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-24-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
trickto322

Default Bedroom TV

The bedroom TV in our Tourmaster has shut down. We took it out and checked everything we could see(which isn't much) even took the back off. The problem is that its a 12 volt connection. The set up is really crazy with all cables going into a hole that cannot be accessed. Can we just put a 110 v flat panel in to replace it and get rid of that stupid cabinet door that swings open when we are rolling and how can we hook up the antannas?
trickto322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
djqualls

I had the same problem. The resolution is that the TV is 12 volt and I lost the ground which is terminated underneath the breaker panel inside that cabinet which I pulled the bottom panel off under the controls where the levels/inverter display is.

I found the ground wire had not even been properly terminated. the wires run from behind the tv behing the trim on the outside wall of bathroom where wall/cieling meet and run down behind that cabinet.

The whole time My TV was getting its fround from the coax and rca cables from the dvd player.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
trickto322

Solved the TV problem for now. We pulled the Jenson out and took it to a repair shop (not easy to find) which revealed it was ready to be re-cycled, junk. Not made to be repaired.
Bought a 22 inch LG HD. I have to do some work to modify the door so it fits and stop it from swinging open while traveling.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
rdlamb

Sorry Trickto, I have trudged through this problem, but took a couple of days off to do some New Years celebrating.

I took the Jensens out, front and rear, and replaced mine with Sony Bravidas. The Sony 32" Bravida just squeezes into the factory-made space in the overhead cabinet.

Put a 27" Sony in the Bedroom. Like you, I could not figure out the swinging door design. I took the door out, and mounted a wall bracket on the back wall (I reinforced the wall with 3/8" birch plywood.

The Sony juts forward a little, but the end result is a beautiful HD TV that really brings out the best of the satellite system. (Dish network, lots of HD channels).

Be careful so the bedroom slide does not clip the TV.

The wiring system is a mess. I do not know why the plug is in the bathroom. I used a multi outlet with a 3 foot cord, and mounted it behind the satellite box. Someday I will move the electrical outlet to the back of the slots where the satellite box and DVD/Theater systems sit. I wonder what the engineers were thinking?

Safe Travels.
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
hyall

HI

I don't quite understand, on the T40b the tv in the bedroom is 12v but below where you have the entertainment center or Sat there's 110 and we can plug 110 tv if have too

Russ
hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
rdlamb

The Jensen has a converter on the electrical cord that decreases the incoming electric current from 110v to 12v. For reasons probably due to the electrical circuits and being able to run the TV off the coach batteries, the engineers cut the line and wired the TV directly into the 12v system.

I changed the Jensen to a 27" Sony Bravida, which I plugged directly into the 110 along with the satellite and DVD systems. (I put a multibox in the top slot, and plugged it into the outlet in the bathroom cabinet. Why the engineers did that I still wonder.

The Sony was to big for the swinging door and slot provided. I had to put a 3/8 plywood backing into the TV space, then a wall mount for the TV, then put the TV on the wall mount. The bedroom slide clears the TV but you have to make sure it is parallel before closing the slide.

Otherwise, it looks great, the HD is superb, and next I will add a HD home theater system. Just as soon as I can determine if Sony's Blu-Ray or Toshiba's HD system becomes the standard.

Safe Travels
Rick

Old 01-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #7
GO BLUE

JUST GOT DONE ADDING AN INSIGNIA HDTV ON A SWIVEL MOUNT ON THE RIGHT FRONT SIDE ABOVE THE PULL OUT COUCH AND PUT ONE BACK IN THE BEDROOM THE PICTURE IS UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!I GET A PICTURE LIKE DIRECT TV ON THE BATWING ANTENNEA AND ITS NOT EVEN UP IN THE AIR......AFTER THE U/M GAME WE WATCHED THE ROSE BOWL ON ABC LOCAL ON THE WAY HOME...CHANGED CHANNEL FROM ORLANDO TO TAMPA AS WE PASSED THRU JIM K
Old 01-13-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
trickto322

I still have problems getting good reception from the bat wing. I suspect the wiring is NG. The wiring is "Dollar Store" quality and just thrown back there.

Does anyone know why we have all of those connections in the cabinet next to the tv up front.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:44 PM   #9
rdlamb

Hi Trickto:
I have no idea at all why GS placed so many connections in the center cabinet. You cannot use the computer port, or auxiliary ports without having a line that is 12 feet long.
When I installed my 32" Sony Bravida I took out a lot of those useless connections so I could have the space for the much larger DVR satellite receiver. I connected the 2 TV's in the coach to the satellite receiver and the theater system directly. I removed the powered switch box and threw it away.

Now the compartment is much less cluttered, well, ok so I have added my electrical toys up there but at least I have room to do so. The new DVR, HD DVD and theater system with the new HD channels from Dish network make traveling much more enjoyable.

Take care
Rick

Old 01-15-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
hyall

I used the computer port up front center to flash my sat kvh which was programmed for Dishnet and not Direct TV which was corrected
hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:40 PM   #11
rdlamb

My computer port runs to the TV, so I can use my TV as a large computer monitor.
I had to directly connect the computer programing computer to the satellite switch box, to move from Direct to Dish. (opposite of you).
My reason was that Direct moved all the new HD channels to a ka band, and new satellite, that is not supported by the King Dome low profile system I had installed less than a year ago. Dish HD is supported.
What system do you have, and are you able to receive the HD channels?
Not that there is much on TV anyway other than politics.
Safe Travels
Rick