Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
flinter

Default New Guy Has Questions

Hi Everyone, first off great site so far. I tryed to find forms on 2002 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager 38ft to see what owners thought about this RV. I'll in the works of purchasing one and it has low miles.
Has anyone have any major problems with this model that I should know about before I finalize the contract??
Gas engine V10.
Your thoughts please!!
flinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
larrybell

I own a smaller version (33ft) 2002 Sun Voyager that I bought used about a year and a half ago. For the most part, I have had minor problems such as rust removal, replacing screws or screw covers, etc.

I recently had a problem with the furnace that was only a problem on shore power. The furnace would start at the thermostat setpoint, and heat the unit up. Then, after a cooldown run, the fan would attempt to stop, but would restart. The furnace manufactor (Surburban) blamed it on "dirty" power from the converter. The technician fixed it by placing a time delay on the start of the furnace.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #3
flinter

Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind
Old 11-12-2008, 12:05 PM   #4
quikduk

Make sure your spark plugs are tightened sufficiently. I do not know if the 2002 engine has the 5 thread or 9 thread holes but the Mfr. (Ford) torque rating of (I think) 17 Ft/# is insufficient to keep the plugs in.

When they go, they take the coils and possibly cyl. head with them. Take them out, clean/inspect and/or replace if necessary but tighten them properly.

Here is a link to a site that is run by a guy who makes his living (or at least part of it) repairing these engines if they have had this problem. His recommendations re: the preventative maintenance seem solid.

http://www.blownoutsparkplug.com/index.htm

And another which "suggests" that Ford has authorized them for these types of repairs.

http://www.fulltorque.com/sparkpluginserts.htm

They are also known for having some issues with plug wires but I suspect that the later models had the coils connect directly to the plugs without the wires but JIC...

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/cop/f ... 0.htm#pic1

As always, YMMV...but an ounce of prevention...as I tend to be proactive rather than listen to those who "have never had a problem so why mess with it" types. If it wasn't an issue, why is there a HUGE class action lawsuit out there re: this/these problems. If it were me, I would check it and fix it if necessary...and then enjoy the coach!

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
flinter

quikduk
Thanks for the info, looks like my engine is okay because it's the V10, but good to know.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:25 PM   #6
RayChez1

I had a 2002 coach (other brand) but it had the V-10 Ford engine. The coach I had was 36' and the V-10 engine had plenty of power. One thing that I didn't care about the Ford chassis was the long overhang in the rear. Every time I went through a dip is would drag on the skid plate on the rear. But I had Firestone air bags in the back and I didn't know it. But when I saw them I asked how much air they were suppose to have which was around 90lbs and man what a difference. It lifted the tail end up to where it would not drag anymore plus it stabolized the ride on the open road. So check your coach to see if you have the Firestone air bags in the rear. I think you will like them.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:09 AM   #7
flinter

Default Thanks

I'll check to see what I have, I don't have any inforamtion on the coach at al manuals anything, do you know where I can can some.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #8
RayChez1

Well, your coach is the same year as mine so I am not sure if Gulfstream the manufacturer would have one. You can always give them a call and maybe they might have some. I am not sure.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote