Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
kenairmk

Default Headlight switch

Hello, I have a 1994 sunstream gxl, class A. I am in need of an original headlight switch, or the part number. I appreciate any and all help. Thanks !
Old 04-25-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
Sundancer268

If you can remove it, your local Auto Parts Store should be able to match it with some of the older cars & trucks. I just had mine out this weekend as it was loose in the dash and while I had it out, drew a diagram of all the wires I could Identify, and marked the Wiring Codes that Gulf Stream had labeled them with.

To remove the switch, you have to turn the head lights on and then press down on the Spring Loaded Button on the Switch on the side opposite of the wiring plug. While holding this button down, Pull Out on the Control Knob. Then you can remove the Nut holding the switch to the panel. Installation is just the opposite.

In the Past I have carefully disassembled the switches and cleaned them up and reassembled them. You have to be careful doing this as there are a lot of small parts and springs in there to lose.
Air Force One Brake System
Sundancer268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
kenairmk

Thank you for the response. I have had my switch in and out about 8 times this past week. The reason I need the part number is my switch burnt up and I threw it away. Don't you know when I went to get it back out of the trash, the wife had already hauled the trash to the landfill ( I consider this to be my fault), so I am starting from scratch here. I don't suppose anyone would be willing to get the number off of their switch?? That would be awesome.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
Sundancer268

I will try this weekend, I do not recall seeing a number on the switch, but I will check again. Have you tried Spartan Chassis or Freightliner to see if they have any parts lists for your chassis build? Spartan has been very help full for my Scenic Cruiser. They need the last 6 digits of your VIN to identify your build. I do not know what Freightliner needs.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
frank

the one that fit my 99 was from a 1977 chevy pickup,81 camaro,etc
Old 04-28-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
kenairmk

I have tried the manufacturer , but they do not return my calls. Ford also was no help, they tell me a class A motorhome is in a league all by itself and they cannot help me, so here I am. My rig sits on a Ford-F53 chassis if this helps anyone. I appreciate all of the help from you nice folks out there. Mike
Old 05-17-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
kenairmk

Anyone?

I'm sure your all out enjoying...like I should be.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
frank

can you take a picture and post it, maybe some one could be able to tell what type it is. i looked on line with my switch in my hand and googled light switches ontill i found a picture of one that looked similer,went to the auto parts store and asked for the part number, that i got on line, and compared the old swithch with the new one . thats why i know that mine was from a chevy pickup or camaro. and the switch comes in different models. more or less wires to plug into it.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
Sundancer268

Default Could not find any Numbers Pictures instead I hope

I am sorry it took so long to get back to you, I took the light switch out tonight and could not find any Identification numbers on it any where. I took several pictures of the switch from several angles hoping that will help you out. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get them from my computer to you. Any help would be appreciated. I do know how to E-Mail them, just not how to get them on this forum.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #10
kenairmk

Thank you for the response. I can be reached at ([email protected])

I appreciate this forum and those who have tried to help.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:40 AM   #11
Nanaeve

Default Lightswitch

My old toad was a 1998 Jeep Cherokee and the light switch was removed in the same way you discribed. Jeep is known for using Delco parts, perhaps a trip to U-Pull-It is in order, I've found many a replacement part for the $2 entry fee and found it a research libery of how things are put together in autos, just a thought.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:51 AM   #12
kenairmk

Thank you all. I got this worked out. I had to jump the running lights into the headlights, now everything works. It's not the way I wanted it to go, but that's the way it is, and it works fine.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:37 PM   #13
johnbrnrd

Finally I stumbled upon this thread. I myself have blown so many headlight switch in the past days. i always double check the wiring and test the voltage. anyway i'll keep on trying im just this close on getting it right.[/url]
johnbrnrd is offline   Reply With Quote