Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
tdd3748

Default Thinking of Joining the GS Family

Hello All,
Just joined your forum and have read everything I can find on Tourmaster coaches. We are considering purchasing a 2000 Tourmaster, 40' 450 HP Cummins, 2 slides, per the build sheet it has every option GS offered in 2000. My dilemma I know very little about Gulf Stream coaches and their history plus I am bit concerned about the coach being 11 years old. So I am looking for input from anyone who has an older Tourmaster or some of the savvy folks here that can tell me what I need to be aware of before I purchase this coach. A little more about the coach it has been stored in a climate controlled garage when not in use. It has 29,000 miles with 950 hours on the generator. It has not been used since 2005 but is regularly started and driven. In 2007 the owner had in motion satellite was added so that he and his son could watch the super bowl while on their trip - but something came up and their trip was canceled. The coach is immaculate inside and out with only a very minor scratch on the rear bumper, the washer/dryer has never been used and the floors have been covered with original protective plastic from the factory. The owners son was into buggy racing so they put down throw rugs and never took the factory coverings off to keep out any sand and dirt. 6 of the tires were replaced last year and the 2 fronts are 3 years old. The owner said he thinks the batteries should probably be replaced as they are 5 years old. Also obviously being 11 years old the electronics need to be updated all 3 TV's are tube sets, stereo in-dash and the one next to the TV in the cargo compartment are tape not CD players, there is a VCR but no DVD player. Updating to CD, and adding a DVD player is simple enough as is replacing the TV in the bedroom and the one in the cargo compartment. Updating the TV that retracts into the dash may be another matter.

Anyway looking for advice input, what should I expect to or be looking at replacing. Should I even be considering a coach of this age from Gulf Stream?

Thanks in advance to all who reply.
tdd3748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
nomad

Default Re: Thinking of Joining the GS Family

The diesel engine isn't even fully broke in yet

As far as should you do it .... that is up to you but I bet you'd be able to work a killer deal on it .

Sounds like it has no UV damage and that is the main thing I have found with older coaches .. the sun beats the paint job hard .
8000 watt Onan Generator
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
RayChez1

Well! it is hard to give advice on a coach that has not moved in the last five years. There has to be many questions as to why they didn't drive the coach. As far as the coach being the Tour Master, that was the flagship of Gulf Stream in that year. Later they dropped the Tour Master for a few years making the Scenic Cruiser their top of the line, followed by Friendship and back to Tour Master.
I agree that the engine is not even broken in, and that is a big engine.
I guess you know that Gulf Stream has cut down in manufacturing class A diesels because of the slow economy. And some RVers have had problems with their customer service even though I never have had problems with them. Sounds like you might have found a jewel in storage. And if you got it for a good price it would really be a good buy.
By the way you describe the tire situation it sounds like the coach has a tag axle making it even more enticing.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
tdd3748

The gentleman that owns the coach - poops more money than I will make in a life time. He bought the coach, a stacker trailer he had painted to match and two custom sand rails for his son to race in the dunes. The coach is maintained by a staff of folks that take care of his fleet vehicles for his business and the thing gets started and driven regularly, generator started, just to keep things lubricated etc.. He even has them wash and wax the thing once a quarter. He is extremely meticulous to a point of being anal. Anyway he was keeping it in hopes he would have some grand children to take camping, but now wants the space (temp controlled warehouse) for some new laser gadget he wants to install and some other machinery to expand his business. So he needs to move the coach and a bunch of other toys (sports cars and muscle cars). My step son is in the car business and is trying to work a package deal for everything in the warehouse-at the moment it is looking good for being able to get the coach for around 65K - but not a done deal yet. I have looked the coach over on 3 different occasions and cannot find anything that appears to be an issue - my biggest concern is the Aqua Hot system as I know nothing about them other than what I have read on the net and know they are very expensive to get services when something goes wrong. The coach is identical to this one.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
RayChez1

I believe that would be a good deal. I really like the tag axle on a 42' coach. It will give you more carrying capacity and really gives you a better over all ride (especially) on cross winds.
Looks like you and your son run into a little gold mine
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
tdd3748

I am too old to be counting chickens before the deal is set in stone - but got my fingers crossed. The little woman and I were looking at coaches just to get educated but not seriously considering buying till after year end. Had not even looked or considered GS, as everyone was steering us to look at Monaco, Beaver, Travel Supreme, Country Coach and Newmar. I must say I am very impressed with the GS workmanship and quality; at least what the eye can see; and since not one person has had anything really negative to say it is sounding better all the time and I really hope we can make a deal on it.