Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-02-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
lauxydad

Default Tire age?

I have a 2001 25' class A Conquest. My rear tires are 6 years old per the tire code. I read that 5 years is max on RV's and need replacement. However, I checked each tire completely for any sign of age - cracks on sidewall and between tread. Tires have no age signs and look like new. RV and or tires were probably kept covered.
Question...Should I look to replace them anyway? Or can I keep another year or till wear shows up?

Thanks, Ed
lauxydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:58 PM   #2
Chuck v

I have been using 7 to 8 years as a rule of thumb for tires that are used at least occasionally... Holding up the full weight of a motor home and not moving for many years is not a good treatment of the casings...and as you note exposure to UV is another aging factor (but so is just exposure to the atmosphere -- and the ozone from high traffic areas on highways and such make things a bit worse.)

This bulletin from Michelin says to inspect tires each year after they reach 5 years old and unconditionally replace them at 10 years max.
https://www.michelintruck.com/assets...e_RV_Tires.pdf

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:19 PM   #3
Beaufort NC

A blowout in the middle of NFW is MOST inconvenient, to say nothing of downright dangerous. I don't go past five.
Workhorse chassis
Cummins 330 ISC
Toad: 2015 Jeep GC Summit
Beaufort NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #4
Ray Porter

looking for the stock tires size for 2004 Urlta Supreme 37 ft
Ray Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:27 AM   #5
Restorium

Had a blow out on the way to Niagara Falls. The tires were 10 years old but looked just like new. The tire guy in Ohio said the steel belts rusted.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
Chuck v

Restorium,

Your 10 year old tires should have been unconditionally replaced per the Michelin rule noted above -- but in a heavy vehicle like a motor home, earlier is better. Glad there was no major damage from the blowout or any injuries.

The only way for the steel to rust is to have air and some moisture preset -- which would mean the sidewalls were cracked or otherwise compromised. When inspecting tires look closely at the side wall condition, even on the side facing toward the center line of the vehicle. Look for the distributed fine line cracks of aging as well as any individual 'bruise' spots from hitting a curb or island...

Chuck

Old 04-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #7
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v View Post
Restorium,

Your 10 year old tires should have been unconditionally replaced per the Michelin rule noted above -- but in a heavy vehicle like a motor home, earlier is better. Glad there was no major damage from the blowout or any injuries.

The only way for the steel to rust is to have air and some moisture preset -- which would mean the sidewalls were cracked or otherwise compromised. When inspecting tires look closely at the side wall condition, even on the side facing toward the center line of the vehicle. Look for the distributed fine line cracks of aging as well as any individual 'bruise' spots from hitting a curb or island...

Chuck
Hi Chuck,
Yup, should have replaced them. But the price was too high when looking at the tires that looked perfect. Had a blow out on one of the inside tires on the rear. I didn't even notice it, my wife following behind did. So we went to the closest tire place that was qualified to do the job. The older guy that was there said even though the tires looked perfect they still rust inside just from having them sitting on the ground in the winter. He said that things can be wrong with an old tire that can't be seen in any inspection. Cost me $1600 because he said you need to replace the rear tires as a set. Made it to Niagara Falls with no other problems other than terrible roads and semi's!
Well, one other snag when the red hats at the park in Niagara didn't like the direction we parked her. Went along with what they wanted and faced her away from the view of the lake.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:42 PM   #8
Beaufort NC

>>>>Cost me $1600 because he said you need to replace the rear tires as a set.

You need to replace a side as a set (2 tires), but I don't know about a full set of four.
Workhorse chassis
Cummins 330 ISC
Toad: 2015 Jeep GC Summit
Beaufort NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #9
Chuck v

Pete,

The replacement of a pair versus an axle worth in this case is not relevant -- since all the tires were ten years and needed to be replaced anyway.

My bigger concern is if the rig Restorium was driving got the needed front tires as well...a blowout there is way more exiting than anyone needs to experience... Hopefully better judgement prevailed over false economy.

Chuck

Old 04-20-2018, 06:28 AM   #10
Restorium

If you replace one side of the duals then one side is always fighting the other and the tires will wear out prematurely.

Nothing to worry about here Chuck. I had already replaced the front tires before our trip to Niagara because the 10 year old front tires had weather checking.

The main reason I left the 10 year old tires on the rear was because they looked perfect, no checks, the problem with them was inside the tires. Something you couldn't see during inspection. Something most folks don't even know about. Rusted steel belts.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:58 AM   #11
Restorium

FYI
Get some wheel covers to keep the sun off your tires while it's parked.
During winter storage, always do your best to keep your tires off of the ground and/or keep a moisture barrier, tires don't do well with prolonged high moisture situations with temperature swings.
Not all used tires are equal. They all depend on how they have been treated. A cheap tire will always be a cheap tire.
FYI
Regulators open probe of Goodyear motorhome tire failures
The Associated Press Published 4:03 p.m. ET Jan. 2, 2018

DETROIT — U.S. safety regulators are investigating whether some Goodyear motorhome tires can fail and cause crashes and possibly deaths.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says it began the probe after a court ordered the release of Goodyear data from lawsuits, which had been sealed under court orders and confidential settlement agreements.
According to the data, the G159 tires failed while in use, resulting in deaths and injuries. The agency says in documents posted Jan. 1 that the number of claims suggests the failures could be caused by a safety defect.
The investigation covers about 40,000 tires from 1996 to 2003.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:01 PM   #12
Chuck v

Glad to hear you are driving safely now with new tires all around...

Enjoy your coach and go gather those travel memories.

Chuck

Old 04-23-2018, 05:53 PM   #13
SheDuzIt

Cool Tire Size Discrepancies

Hi. I just purchased my 2007 Independence 2 months ago and have had to fix almost every component (A/C, hydraulics, wiring, generator, floor, headlights, etc.) When I had the alignment done, they checked the tires and all looked fine. The person I bought it from said the rears were a year old. After going from Phoenix to Denver to Utah and now in Las Vegas in 2 weeks, a couple of the tires are showing stress cracks. I don't mind replacing them, but I keep getting different information about the size and type I should use. Can someone please tell me a good size and brand for this rig???
SheDuzIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:22 PM   #14
Chuck v

Well there should be no ambiguity on the age of the tires on your rig when you bought, as DOT requires by law that the sidewalls be marked with date of manufacture...there are many on-line charts showing how to read these codes. I would bet that the tires may be original to the coach itself if they show side wall checking. In any event, do not drive a full sized motor home on unsafe tires under any circumstances.

Michelin tires are good but can be expensive -- presently I am running Firestone tires on my 2007 Tour Master 42 foot diesel coach in 275/70 R 22.5 size with a 16 ply rating. These are not 'cheap' either but a bit less than the Michelin tires. I have heard mixed reviews about the Goodyear tires -- but the lawsuit mentioned in post #11 above is a bit odd since the youngest tires mentioned in that quotation are 15 years old and should not be in service...

Spend what you have to, this is no place for false economy as lives are at stake -- yours and those that share the road with you.

Chuck

Old 04-23-2018, 10:58 PM   #15
SheDuzIt

Hi. Thanks for replying, however my main issue is not with the age or replacing them, as my post stated. My main issue is "I keep getting different information about the size and type I should use." I should have been more clear. The previous owner put 19.5's on it, but I'm being told that I should have 22.5's on it. I'm just wondering what the real size should be? Thanks.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:20 PM   #16
Chuck v

Which model and length coach to you own? The 8295 for instance uses 19.5 inch steel rims and the 8376 has aluminum rims and runs low profile 22.5 inch tires. These two coach models differ in length and weight as you might imagine -- 31.5 feet and 20,500 lbs for the shorter unit and 38 feet and 22,000 lbs. for the larger one.

So again it comes down to which model do you presently have? That will determine the correct rim and tire size for your particular coach -- which may be what you refer to as the "real" size.

Chuck

Old 04-23-2018, 11:43 PM   #17
SheDuzIt

Thanks. It's a 2007 35.5 foot 8357.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:18 AM   #18
Chuck v

That 8357 was most likely factory fitted with22.5 inch aluminum rims and low profile tires at time of manufacture -- I did not find that exact configuration, but the 2008 8359 certainly used that set-up.

Perhaps the prior owner damaged the aluminum rims and chose not to replace them due to the expense... If you want to change back to the larger tire size you will need to get the correct aluminum rims, and each Alcoa rim is about $300 or a little less if you can find a 'deal' on them. I would never buy a used aluminum rim since you don't now how they have been treated and there must be SOME reason they are getting sold...

Michelin Energy tires can run $650 to $700 each so it is not difficult to have $6000 in the complete swap to the larger rims and quality tires. Aggressive shopping and settling on something other than Michelin may get it down to half that... These prices may be why your coach has undersized steel wheels on it now -- so ask yourself, what other shortcuts did the previous owner take?? (You mentioned that you already have done quite a bit of work on it since you purchased it...)

Chuck

Old 04-24-2018, 12:28 AM   #19
SheDuzIt

The Federal ID tag inside behind the driver seat says 19.5, but a tire guy told me I have to put 22.5 on. I think it came with 19.5 and he is just trying to sell me. The whole thing feels like a racket to me.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:53 AM   #20
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheDuzIt View Post
The Federal ID tag inside behind the driver seat says 19.5, but a tire guy told me I have to put 22.5 on. I think it came with 19.5 and he is just trying to sell me. The whole thing feels like a racket to me.
It's all about the tire rating. It could be that they don't make a 19.5 that meets the requirements of your vehicle. They could have back in 2007 and since then have been discontinued. Pick a great tire store that services the big fleet vehicles and go with what they say. Tires really have a big effect on how a coach goes down the road. Smaller tires can make it very tippy and hard to go around bends in the road. Larger tires support the weight better and make the drive a lot better and safer.