Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-07-2018, 04:13 PM   #1
roovio

Default 2011 19RSD Awning replacement/Wall construction

So the Carefree awning hardware on my 2011 Visa 19rsd is literally falling apart. After checking my options i decided the most economical solution would be to replace it and upgrade to Lipper Solera electric awning and it is a relatively simple operation. The only problem is old awning is attached right above awning rail and new one have to be attached right below the awning rail and screws must be driven in to a framing or a backer. After several calls, leaving messages, writing emails and weeks of waiting i got my call returned. Of course Pam at Gulf Stream Customer (don't)Care won't give an information if there is any backer within the structure of the wall nor send the wall blueprint. HELP. Is there any way to find if there is any backer below the awning rail or to get appropriate blueprints???
roovio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:55 PM   #2
atreis

19RSD is laminated, right? These are made up of an exterior panel, a thin piece of ply, foam insulation, another thin piece of ply, and the interior wall, with aluminum framing.

The aluminum framing members would not be regularly occurring like a wood frame is. The aluminum verticals would primarily be on either side of openings for door, windows, and in the middle of large expanses of empty wall.

That said, laminated walls are quite strong, so it might not be necessary to have backer.... Strong enough? I don't know.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #3
roovio

These are very good points - thank you. Do you have idea how thick the ply would be? Another idea - I just wonder if IR camera would show structure members? Lets say if i turn furnace on on a cold day and warm the trailer up will there be a difference in wall temperature where structure members are?
Old 03-22-2018, 08:10 PM   #4
atreis

The ply is VERY thin. 1/8? Something like that. It's tough, as in hard to tear, but will flex very easily.

That's a good idea! If you left the furnace on for a few hours so the aluminum had time to heat (overnight?) I'd think it would be quite visible. That might tell you where the aluminum bar across the top of the wall is.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:54 AM   #5
roovio

OK so most likely ply itself wont hold the owning. I will try IR approach and will see if it works.