Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-08-2018, 05:53 PM   #1
Truck55

Default Steps retracting ?

I have 04 sunvoyager. For some the steps have begun to retract every time door closes. This only happens when I have the radio switch on park. If I turn it off they work like they should.

Anyone ever had this problem.

Dan
Truck55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
Chuck v

Dan,

I don't have your model but do know that the steps are designed to retract whenever the door is closed whenever the ignition in the ON position...perhaps there is a path back to that logic through the radio switch position...just a thought.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:49 PM   #3
DanKearney

If your steps are made by Kwikee, then I think the explanation is in this manual.

https://mega.nz/#!EwpzDTgb!Wz5hp8jsB...J6Q0sYoaqLiuDo

Cheers,

Dan K.
DanKearney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #4
Sudsy

Default Switches

On my 2005 there is a row of switches right inside the main entrance. One3 of those switches is a "Steps" switch that changes the way the steps react to the door. There is also a "compartment lights" switch, a porch lite switch and a switch that controls one of the overhead florescent lights in the overhead. Maye someone has changed the position of that switch. But read the manual. There is also a "last person out" function that stows thge steps when you are putting the coach away.

Sudsy
Old 03-15-2018, 06:32 PM   #5
Truck55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKearney View Post
If your steps are made by Kwikee, then I think the explanation is in this manual.

https://mega.nz/#!EwpzDTgb!Wz5hp8jsB...J6Q0sYoaqLiuDo

Cheers,

Dan K.
My steps are Kwikee. I did the trouble shooting. Everything works like it should. So it isn't the steps
Old 03-15-2018, 06:36 PM   #6
Truck55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
On my 2005 there is a row of switches right inside the main entrance. One3 of those switches is a "Steps" switch that changes the way the steps react to the door. There is also a "compartment lights" switch, a porch lite switch and a switch that controls one of the overhead florescent lights in the overhead. Maye someone has changed the position of that switch. But read the manual. There is also a "last person out" function that stows thge steps when you are putting the coach away.

Sudsy
Mine has the same switches. I checked them. It acts like the key is on when I turn on the radio switch with key in off position. If I put radio switch in travel position the steps will stay out when you close the door. I also noticed that my windshield fans will come on when radio switch is in park position.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:37 PM   #7
Truck55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck55 View Post
Mine has the same switches. I checked them. It acts like the key is on when I turn on the radio switch with key in off position. If I put radio switch in travel position the steps will stay out when you close the door. I also noticed that my windshield fans will come on when radio switch is in park position.
What is the last person out feature?
Old 03-15-2018, 07:04 PM   #8
Sudsy

Quote:

What is the "Radio Switch"?

Sudsy
Old 03-16-2018, 10:33 AM   #9
Truck55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
What is the "Radio Switch"?

Sudsy
It is rocker switch on dash One position let's you listen to radio when camping and the other position allows you to listen to radio while driving
Old 03-16-2018, 01:03 PM   #10
Sudsy

Quote:
It is rocker switch on dash One position let's you listen to radio when camping and the other position allows you to listen to radio while driving

Duh! Oh yea, I got one of those. But wow, I have no idea how that switch could be somehow now causing the steps to run in and out. I think I would try to find the fuse for the steps and then try to trace the power to see if it is coming from a relay. The common item here is the ignition switch on the column. If it's "On" the steps will retract overriding all other functions. If the ignition switch is off the steps will stay down unless the "Steps" switch is actuated near the entrance steps.

The "Radio" switch only really does something if the ignition switch is off.

So the ignition switch is common to both systems.

Sudsy