Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-23-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
JRS950

Post Looking to go full time with Tourmaster T40C

Hello. We found out about how well built the GS motorhomes were when a dealer by us had an Independance with very few miles. Unforunately the unit had been severely mistreated and abused. The good thing is it showed us how well built the unit was. We are now looking at the Tourmaster line.
We are planning on going full time in the unit. Hopefully in a short time.
We have learned so much about these fabulous coaches in a short period of time. We still have much to learn. This forum has been a great resource so far and we are certain it will continue to be in the future.
Thanks for having us as
Florida for now
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:54 PM   #2
Frutza

Welcome , good luck with your searching, what ever you get enjoy the life style
Old 02-25-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS950 View Post
Hello. We found out about how well built the GS motorhomes were when a dealer by us had an Independance with very few miles. Unforunately the unit had been severely mistreated and abused. The good thing is it showed us how well built the unit was. We are now looking at the Tourmaster line.
We are planning on going full time in the unit. Hopefully in a short time.
We have learned so much about these fabulous coaches in a short period of time. We still have much to learn. This forum has been a great resource so far and we are certain it will continue to be in the future.
Thanks for having us as
I bought a 2005 Sun Voyager last year. It is a 8379 gas unit. Runs perfect. I know about the galvanized storage bins and the quality of the cabinets and the coram counter-tops, side by side reefer w/ ice maker (floor killer) but what in particular stood out when you looked at the sick unit?

Sudsy
Old 02-25-2018, 04:02 PM   #4
Chuck v

Jim,

I have a 2007 T40C and am pleased overall with it. These units came with a choice of engines (Mercedes diesel or Cummins diesel) and mine has the Mercedes... Plenty of power / torque for my needs even towing an Acura MDX SUV behind it.

Presently I live in it 'full time' and have for 5 years, but don't travel on long trips much -- it serves as my work state residence while my home state house is 400+ miles away. I particularly like the full size residential refrigerator, the generous shower dimensions, the walk in closet and the separate washer AND dryer which make laundry day go quickly. We upgraded the washer to a Maytag front loader of the same size as the wife wanted the extra cycles.

Like any coach (or any home for that matter...) periodic maintenance will save money in the long run versus fixing failed items. Pay particular attention to how well maintained the roof seams/seals have been, and look at the slide seals and the undersides of the slides. I replaced the UHMW strip under the main slide and added metal for it to run on to the fabric of the slide underside. Also added metal strips to the underside of the vanity slide where some fabric wear was starting to show. I had this work done at Elite Coach Renovation in Harrisburg, Oregon -- these guys are ex-Marathon factory experts and very skilled.

T40C coaches were made in 2007 and 2008 for the most part, and as such should have had the tires replaced at least once -- 8 years on these is all you can trust with this much weight regardless of how good the tread may look. I replaced mine when it only had about 11 K on the odometer and painful as that may seem, safety is paramount.

I also have replaced the slide toppers and the main awning fabric -- you may find these weathered depending on what part of the country yours has been staying in.

Hope you find a good one! Ask questions here about specifics if you are looking at a particular unit you are considering buying. Pictures can help us identify/comment on any issues you are worried about...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:47 PM   #5
JRS950

Thanks to all for the input. I don`t know why, but both of the Tourmasters we have looked at looked like they had been ridden hard and put away wet. I know it is not the coach's fault, just owners who don't care.
The search continues!

Jim
Florida for now
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote